Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death Valley for lunar eclipse March 3, 2007  (Read 6633 times)

davidh4976

Death Valley for lunar eclipse March 3, 2007
« on: December 29, 2006, 03:02:03 pm »

There is a lunar eclipse on March 3rd.  I'm planning on heading to Death Valley to catch it.  I plan on arriving Feb 23rd to spend the week.  One of the areas I want to visit while I'm there is the Racetrack...home of the moving rocks.  Becasue it's somewhat remote and a rough, long road, a lot of people say you should go out to the Racetrack with two or more vehicles.  I was wandering if anyone else is planning on being in DV at that time so we could "convoy" to the Racetrack for an overnight (capture the sunset and sunrise).

michael

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:56:45 pm »

The viewing of this eclipse from Death Valley will be very poor to non-existant. It's much better the further east you go.

http://www.hermit.org/Eclipse/2007-03-03/

As for the Racetrack, I definately would not do that road alone. The last time I did it we had three vehicles, all 4WD with knobby tires, and two of them got flats.

Michael

davidh4976

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:16:47 pm »

howiesmith

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:31:10 am »

As for the Racetrack, I definately would not do that road alone. The last time I did it we had three vehicles, all 4WD with knobby tires, and two of them got flats.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92810\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been to the Race Track more than half a dozen times.  All solo trips.  One flat (nail).  Fixed it and went on.  Rangers will be rather discouraging of any trip to the Race Track (as they don't want to come get you).

The road is about 25 miles (one way) of often rough dirt.  (Once I was lucky enough to go there the day after the Park Service had graded the road.  Much smoother.)  If you take it easy, you should do fine, even in a regular car.  If the road looks washed out or unpassible, just turn around and go back.  It is always a good idea to let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back.  (Let them know when you are back.)  The Park Service (or anyone else) will not rescue you promptly if you do have trouble so take food and water for several extra days.  There are usually other people there frequently (daily?) that might summon help.  The Race Track is remote but not unvisited.  

The best racing rocks are at the far south end of the lake and on the eastrn side.  A short hike over very smooth dry lake bed.  The Grand Stand is at the north end and pretty good.  The best time is sunrise and sunset.  The drive either way in the dark would be interesting at best.  I recommend a more leasurely trip with an overnight at the lake.  You can dry camp just south of the dry lake.  I have spent only one night alone there.

I have never tried a cell phone there but I would bet it wouldn't worked.  Don't count on it for help.

All in all, I would not skip this place just because I was alone.  Just be careful, prepared to stay a few extra days, stay on the road, and don't expect help quickly (take a good book).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:32:48 am by howiesmith »

oboguev

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:29:04 pm »

I was there last time for the New Year. Road to the Racetrack has been freshly re-graded. What used to be 2 hours of nerve-wrecking drive a year ago is now 45 minutes of (comparatively) smooth ride.

If you go at the sunset, be aware that because of the mountains the light on the playa will be out ~ 1.5 hours before the sunset. Depart from Ubehebe at noon or earlier or you won't have enough time. Gas station at Scotty's castle is down, so fuel elsewhere before setting out.

In case you get stuck (or plan to stay overnight), take blanket, chemical warmers (it is at elevation and can be quite cold at night), water, food, thermos of hot tea and warm clothes. To be on the safe side, I'd also rent a satellite phone, it is just $30 a week plus shipping.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:29:37 pm by oboguev »

davidh4976

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:32:17 am »

If you go at the sunset, be aware that because of the mountains the light on the playa will be out ~ 1.5 hours before the sunset. Depart from Ubehebe at noon or earlier or you won't have enough time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That tip on sunset is REALLY appreciated!  Thanks!

I'll be camping, so I'll have everything I need to stay warm.  

I plan on renting a satellite phone.  They run about $39 per week plus usage...cheap insurance since there is no cell phone coverage for most of the Death Valley area.

Thanks again!
David

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 04:09:39 pm »

I plan on renting a satellite phone.  They run about $39 per week plus usage...cheap insurance since there is no cell phone coverage for most of the Death Valley area.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The satellite phone sounds like a good idea. I'm heading to Death Valley for nine days next Tuesday. No eclipse, but I expect a lot of good stuff on my first ever visit there. With the tips from the LL forum and Steve Kossack's DVD I feel pretty well prepared. I'll post some impressions when I get back.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

howiesmith

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 04:00:17 pm »

Make sure with the satelite phone you know who to call.  The Park Service may not be quick to respond, if at all, to a flat tire but maybe faster if you are bleeding.  Calling a family member may give THEM some peace of mind, but may not help you much.  So even with a phone, help may be very slow to arrive.  Be well prepared to wait a few days for help.  Better yet, be prepared to help yourself (fix a flat, don't run out of gas, don't get stuck, [plenty of food and water).

A towing compa may be relatively fast to respond but at what cost?  Help may come from the service station at Furnace Creek or from Beatty, Nv., well over 50 miles one way.  I'm not sure your road side service (like AAA) will pay for this, so you may want to check first.  I also understand all bets are off with rental cars, maybe no insurance at all.

oboguev

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:50:24 pm »

There is a list of local towing companies and their phone numbers posted at the information board at Scotty's castle.  The list carries a warning saying it may take 5 or more hours for tow truck to arrive (that is, assuming you call during the daytime) and typical tow cost is about $500 to $800.

I would not really worry about having to wait for "few" days for someone to come by. Racetrack is a remote place but it not *that* desolate.

(Now, with less visited spots, like Titus Canyon, the bets may be off.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:55:02 pm by oboguev »

howiesmith

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:34:26 am »

There is a list of local towing companies and their phone numbers posted at the information board at Scotty's castle.  The list carries a warning saying it may take 5 or more hours for tow truck to arrive (that is, assuming you call during the daytime) and typical tow cost is about $500 to $800.

I would not really worry about having to wait for "few" days for someone to come by. Racetrack is a remote place but it not *that* desolate.

(Now, with less visited spots, like Titus Canyon, the bets may be off.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I realize the Race Track is frequently visited.  I was trying to say there can be a long wait between being discovered and real help actually arriving.  Telling a passer by to summons help may not work.  That person must be relied on to actually tell someone who willing and able help you.  Then that help must arrive.  The actual time may be short ( several hours at best) or several days.  I think it is simply better to be prepared for a long wait and surprised when help arrives.  It does no good if everyone in the world knows you are at the Race Track with a flat, but no one brings a tire.

I have found that it is nearly as good as a phone to tell some one where you are going and when to expect you back.  Then they can try to help if you don't check back on schedule.  Telling a ranger is a good idea, and be sure to check in with the ranger when you do return.  (There are Rangers at Scotty's and Mesquite.)

Titus Canyon, in my experience, is much more frequently traveled.  (My last visit had a sign that said 4WD only, but I managed fine in a van.)  It is much shorter and less remote.  Going for help yourself is more possible, but not recommended.  A few hour's walk should get you to the Scotty's Castle road or the Daylight Pass road, both well traveled.

If you decide to go for help yourself, leave a note on your car as to where you are going and stick to the road.  Sad if your car gets rescued and you don't.

Distances are large in Death Valley and gasoline stations few and far between.  There are three I can think of in DV (and Scotty's is sometime out), so don't run short.

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:51 am »

Much better is , leave all behind except the camera, and run, keep running  don't stop,,and keep taking photos .  People take two hours and 10 minutes in Boston, Marathon, so lets say will take you 5 hours,,see much better them wait.
Oh if you like to have AAA, they will go in get you, so think about the.

Good luck

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

howiesmith

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 03:28:01 pm »

Much better is , leave all behind except the camera, and run, keep running  don't stop,,and keep taking photos .  People take two hours and 10 minutes in Boston, Marathon, so lets say will take you 5 hours,,see much better them wait.
Oh if you like to have AAA, they will go in get you, so think about the.

Good luck

BlasR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I hope this is a joke.  One major diffference between the Boston Marathon and a free lance run from the Race Course is water.  I have yet to see any aid stations along the Race Course road handing out water.  Boston has 20 or so, many with medical help.  On the Race Course, you are on your own.

danmitch

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 10:49:03 pm »

"As for the Racetrack, I definately would not do that road alone."

Let's not get too paranoid here. March and April are sort of "high season" (relatively speaking) in the park and at the Racetrack. Not too much chance that you'll be the only person out there.

As long as you are carrying appropriate camping gear and plenty of extra water you should be fine. The advice that getting help may take awhile is appropriate. If you choose to stay with a broken down vehicle while others report the problem for you, it could easily be the next day before you get a response. (Might be better to leave the car and catch a ride with someone.)

While most people worry about the heat in Death Valley, that is not likely to be an issue in March. It can get pretty warm - don't be surprised to see upper 80s then - but it can also be quite cold and windy. I've been rained and snowed upon there during that season, more than once. So, odd as it may seem, bring winter clothing and at least some rain gear with you when you head to the park.

Enjoy!

Dan
Dan Mitchell
[url=http://www.gdan
Pages: [1]   Go Up