Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need printer recommendation for student print lab  (Read 3688 times)

PrintLabGuy

Need printer recommendation for student print lab
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:51:21 am »

Hi all,

I run a small print lab for a local school and need some printer recommendations. We try to offer 3 price levels of printing services to our students: good (Canon 1120/1180 color copies), better (Canon CW2200), and best (Epson 4000, 7600, 9600 plotters).

Our Canon 2200 is dead and we need to replace it with an equivalent printer. I was thinking of replacing it with the Canon IPF5000 or Epson 3800. Unfortunately, I believe both printers would out perform everything I have in my labs quality-wise, so I need some alternatives. We need something that would fill the spot between our Canon 11xx series color copies and our Epson 4000/7600/9600 printers. I don't want something that would compete with the Epsons, but I need something better than the Canon copier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:31:38 pm »

Hi all,

I run a small print lab for a local school and need some printer recommendations. We try to offer 3 price levels of printing services to our students: good (Canon 1120/1180 color copies), better (Canon CW2200), and best (Epson 4000, 7600, 9600 plotters).

Our Canon 2200 is dead and we need to replace it with an equivalent printer. I was thinking of replacing it with the Canon IPF5000 or Epson 3800. Unfortunately, I believe both printers would out perform everything I have in my labs quality-wise, so I need some alternatives. We need something that would fill the spot between our Canon 11xx series color copies and our Epson 4000/7600/9600 printers. I don't want something that would compete with the Epsons, but I need something better than the Canon copier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't you mean EPSON 2200?

If that is it, and it is dead, just replace it with an EPSON 2400.

BTW - quite a school you have going there. Affluent neighborhood?
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 01:31:53 pm »

...Don't you mean EPSON 2200?
or Canon Pixma IP 2200?
Francois

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 01:59:16 pm »

I don't want something that would compete with the Epsons, but I need something better than the Canon copier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am afraid you have set yourself up for failure or at least disappointment.  Any of the newest x800 Epsons are going to outperform your x600's -- the new ink is simply better.  At least the 7600 and 9600 can print larger than the 3800, but I suspect once you see the quality of the 3800 print, you will be replacing the 9600 with a 9800...   On the bright side, you won't need a 4800 unless you want to do 17 rolls, or a 7800 unless you plan on dedicating it to Mk ink and the 9800 to Pk ink.

I just last week took a K3 (Pk) test print to my favorite local pro lab that still uses 9600's and had them print the same test image on their 9600. The tech was amazed at the added gamut (very visible in the deep blues and brighter yellows), reduced bronzing and superior grayscale tonality the K3 inks rendered.  Also, K3 has very little metamerism -- the prints look as good under office fluorescents as they do under the proofing hood  

Sorry,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:07:51 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

PrintLabGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 02:54:54 pm »

Don't you mean EPSON 2200?

If that is it, and it is dead, just replace it with an EPSON 2400.

BTW - quite a school you have going there. Affluent neighborhood?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, it a Canon w2200 that we use to do 13x19 prints.

The school is a public university and we make do with what little we have.

I am afraid you have set yourself up for failure or at least disappointment...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was expecting that to be the case. I've been speaking to my vendors and all of them agree that any of the new printers will outperform my current equipment, quality-wise. I'm thinking of just getting 2, 3800s and then each year upgrading the bigger pieces of equipment. The higher quality is nice, but we don't need photographic quality prints 24/7. Most of the work I do is line-art illustrations or graphic design posters. I get maybe 10% photo prints. If anything, I want to be able to do volume printing at better than avg quality than slow printing with super high quality prints. With over 500 students needing jobs done the next day, I want to know I can handle the volume and still be able to beat Kinkos quality. It might be worthwhile to lease instead of buying them outright.

Another option I was considering was to buy 2, 3800s and using lower quality stock paper to make up the price difference. We're using Epson brand papers right now and considering Calumet brand papers. We tried their satin/gloss papers before, but the stock they gave us to try made the ink pool. Hopefully, the coating has been worked out.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:00:55 pm by PrintLabGuy »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:24:17 pm »

I want to know I can handle the volume and still be able to beat Kinkos quality. It might be worthwhile to lease instead of buying them outright.

Another option I was considering was to buy 2, 3800s and using lower quality stock paper to make up the price difference. We're using Epson brand papers right now and considering Calumet brand papers. We tried their satin/gloss papers before, but the stock they gave us to try made the ink pool. Hopefully, the coating has been worked out.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like a good option, but the Epsons are slower than the newer Canons (but at least 2x faster than your 4000/76/9600).  But the Epsons also work better with third-party papers...  Take a look at InkJetArt's "Micro Ceramic" Gloss or Luster papers as good Epson alternatives -- the "proof" papers (light and econo) use the  same profile and are good values. They have some good quantity pricing too: [a href=\"http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_papers/ceramic/index.html]http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_papers/ceramic/index.html[/url]

Cheers and good luck!
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

PrintLabGuy

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 03:44:39 pm »

Sounds like a good option, but the Epsons are slower than the newer Canons (but at least 2x faster than your 4000/76/9600).  But the Epsons also work better with third-party papers...  Take a look at InkJetArt's "Micro Ceramic" Gloss or Luster papers as good Epson alternatives -- the "proof" papers (light and econo) use the  same profile and are good values. They have some good quantity pricing too: http://www.inkjetart.com/photo_papers/ceramic/index.html

Cheers and good luck!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I gave Inkjetart.com a call to get some samples. The pricing on their bulk sheets look good. Thanks!

Anyone have recommended Epson dealers? We dislike our local rep and looking for alternatives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up