Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tasmania and New Zealand - AWD vehicle needed?  (Read 4816 times)

wchrisemer

Tasmania and New Zealand - AWD vehicle needed?
« on: December 29, 2006, 09:20:32 am »

In January, I will be traveling to Tasmania for a week and to the South Island of New Zealand for about 10 days. Is it best to get an AWD vehicle for reaching "outstanding photo opportunities" or would a regular sedan suffice.

Obviously, recommendations can differ for the two locations.  

Wier

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:22:44 am »

In January, I will be traveling to Tasmania for a week and to the South Island of New Zealand for about 10 days. Is it best to get an AWD vehicle for reaching "outstanding photo opportunities" or would a regular sedan suffice.

Wier
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have travelled Tasmania extensivley on more than 6 occassions - a 4 WD is not necessary - but is beneficial for the West Coast and the very remote locations that are 4WD only.

The East coast you can do in a Family Sedan.

Cradle mountain you walk once in the car park. Pack warm clothes as it can snow there all year round.

From a photography perspective Cradle mountain is OUTSTANDING.

If you have never been there before make sure you order the seafood basket on the wharfs in Hobat - best seafood in the world. Period.

There is also a little japanese restaurant on the East Coast right on the water - make sure you stop. Their food is amazing and even better they have chosen an amazing photographic location - below the restaurant are these black basalt rocks, which make for outstanding images.

Enjoy!
Wild Nature Photo Travel

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:58:06 am »

Wier

I have only been to the North Island of New Zealand. We did not have an AWD and did OK, but I did feel a little restricted in where I could go. There were some dirt roads that were passable with a normal car, but the smaller tracks off these would require AWD.

My advice: if you can afford it go for AWD, but don't worry too much if you drive a normal car. Ask around locally about what roads are passable with a normal car (I got some good advice that way.) New Zealand has so much to offer, even if you don't go to inaccessible places, that I am sure you will have great photographic opportunities!

Ruud

Kotuku

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:52:16 pm »

Gidday

I live in Dunedin on the east coast of the South Island in NZ, and have some experience travelling around the bottom half of the country.

The South Island of NZ can be travelled quite comfortably in a sedan and give you access to many fnatastic photo opportunities. Many of the gravel roads can be comfortably covered in a sedan if driven sensibly.

If you intend to get off the sealed and major gravel roads then you may need to consider an AWD. Something like a Subaru Outback wagon should suffice. I tend to take an AWD when I get off the beaten track more for peace of mind, otherwise the sedan does fine. If hiring an AWD wagon is a comparable price, then I personally would take this option.

Just remember that NZ has a very variable climate. You will likely experience sun, rain, hail and possibly snow depending on where you are. We have had a lot of rain in the past month, so the ground is very wet in most places with plenty of mud.

If you have any more questions or want some info, let me know.

Cheers
Glenn

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 08:27:03 am »

What Glenn said !

I would also get an AWD like a Subaru for New Zealand, they cost about the same to rent as a sedan but are better on the wet and twisty stuff of which there is no end there..

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:22:59 am »

Wier

January should be fine.

I had a significant amount of snow in May 2 years ago and was real happy to be driving an X-Trail, I would have stayed stuck on highway 1 had I been driving a normal sedan.

Cheers,
Bernard

wchrisemer

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 03:46:26 pm »

Thanks to all who responded! I'll go with the AWD -- it's more money, but not a lot more and, hey, what's money?

Pages: [1]   Go Up