Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for ultra-wide gamut graphics monitor  (Read 3831 times)

m021478

Suggestions for ultra-wide gamut graphics monitor
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:08:42 pm »

I'm currently in the market for new computer monitor, and I was hoping that somebody might be able to offer some suggestions as to which monitor I might get... I am currently using an Eizo CG-220 graphics monitor, which I know is supposed to be one of the top-of-the-line monitors with the highest damn it available on the market, though I have experienced a number of problems with this particular monitor over the years.  I am actually on my third CG-220, having sent to others back to a so for a replacement free of charge due to mechanical failure that occurred on the monitor after about a year of using it... and in my opinion, any company that would so quickly and unequivocally exchange a used $6,000 monitor for a brand-new one, twice, must be under the realization that there are obviously flaws in the particular monitor in question.  Anyways, now that I am on my third Eizo CG-220 monitor, and am once again experiencing the same problems that I had with the first two, I was seeking to get a new monitor for my digital photography related purposes, however this time around I would like to avoid getting anything from Eizo.

I've heard that the NEC SpectraView Monitors are also top-of-the-line professional grade color graphics monitor that are particularly suited for digital photography related purposes.  Does anyone have any experience using these monitors?  Does anyone have any thoughts on any other monitors that I should perhaps consider that would be able to offer the same level of quality that I was able to achieve from the Eizo CG-220 monitor that I used (when it worked, that is).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

mwerbe

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 08:01:47 pm »

Samsungs new 20" LED Adobe RGB Color Space Monitor sounds good, its only $1999. I haven't seen one yet though.

David White

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:12:23 pm »

I've heard that the NEC SpectraView Monitors are also top-of-the-line professional grade color graphics monitor that are particularly suited for digital photography related purposes.  Does anyone have any experience using these monitors?  Does anyone have any thoughts on any other monitors that I should perhaps consider that would be able to offer the same level of quality that I was able to achieve from the Eizo CG-220 monitor that I used (when it worked, that is).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm running and NEC 2190UXi.  The gamut exceeds Adobe RGB in the blues, is weak in the greens and closely matches on the reds.  The shadows and highlights are also very close to Adobe RGB except where the green falls short.
David White

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 09:26:32 pm »

I like my 2090uxi very well, but like the rest of the xx90 series it's only about 75% of Adobe RGB colorspace.  The new 2690wuxi, if it ever ships, should be a very good candidate for you though, as it spec'd to cover, as I recall, 94% of the Adobe space.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 08:53:10 am »

What kind of problems do you have ? I don't say theyaren't there but just out of intrest. I'm using two of the for over a year now and they both work excellent. ( I have to add that both TFTs were presented by Eizo on diffrent masses, so they could have selected some nice ones ^^
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 09:01:54 am »

To get the Adobe RGB gamut, don't you need more than 8 bit?  And if the monitor supports 14 or 16 then your video card will need to as well, ie dual dvi support?

Does the PS video driver support the higher bit path to the video card?

As I recall there are some monitors which will kludge an 8 bit signal into a higher resolution space, but I never understood the benefits to be particularly compelling.

If the entire video path isn't 16 (or at least 12) bit is it really ready for prime time?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:02:41 am by Tim Gray »

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:18:36 am »

Quote from: Tim Gray,Jan 1 2007, 02:01 PM
To get the Adobe RGB gamut, don't you need more than 8 bit?  And if the monitor supports 14 or 16 then your video card will need to as well, ie dual dvi support?

Does the PS video driver support the higher bit path to the video card?

As I recall there are some monitors which will kludge an 8 bit signal into a higher resolution space, but I never understood the benefits to be particularly compelling.

Tim, I pretty much need to disagree with you here. The intent of a 10+ bit internal monitor lut is to provide a means of calibrating the monitor in a high bit environment so none of the adjustment takes place in the 8 bit lut in the card. There is no need for a 16 bit lut in the card. However I think a case could be made that any more than a 10 bit monitor lut for most adjustments is getting a bit silly, and perhaps just a competitive thing between manufacturers.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 12:56:02 pm »

Let me ask this:

I am currently using a Lacie CRT calibrated and profiled to 5000k, 1.8 gamma and 95 brightness using EyeOne.  All of the printers to whom my files go rave about both my RGB's (in colormatch) and my cmyk conversion to their formula.

My liimited attempts at using lcd have left me very flat, and with my crt being a few years old I am starting to worry.

What is there on the market that will work at the settings I am using for my crt?

Thanks,
Craig Lamson
www.infocusinc.net
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up