Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens Cleaning  (Read 7513 times)

jclacherty

Lens Cleaning
« on: December 27, 2006, 06:12:31 pm »

Hi,

Just spotted this over at Toms Hardware (of all places).

http://www.denguru.com/2006/12/27/finally-...t-really-works/

Anyone used it?  What do you think?

Justin.

ARD

• http://
Lens Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 07:14:26 pm »

Link doesn't work

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Lens Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:48:04 pm »

Link worked for me.   interesting???

jclacherty

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

Link doesn't work
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm...not seeing a problem with the link.  If you just go to www.denguru.com it's in their top stories at the moment.

Justin.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Lens Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:31:56 pm »

...Purosol was developed for NASA and the space program, as an alternative to solvent-based cleaners that destroy lens coatings, are environmentally dangerous and contribute to health problems.... [Purosol c]ontains no ammonia, alcohol, glycerin or silicone. Completely solvent free.... Purosol Optical [is] an environmentally friendly enzyme-based formula; Purosol cleans at the molecular level, neutralizing the bonds that dust, dirt, oil and grime use to adhere to glass or plastic lens surfaces. This solution is designed specifically for high-end multi-coated lenses....

Heck, I just want to know what this paragraph means! I'm gonna have to stop gargling with my current lens cleaner, given all the health problems worldwide that lens cleaners have caused. Up there with malaria* and foot fungus, it seems. Purosol, eh? Sounds like it ought to help one regain lost, ah, virtue or make one's peace prior to boarding Charon's ferry.

And I feel pretty inadequate that, heretofore, I've cleaned only at the large-clump-of-crap level with my belt sander rather than at the molecular level. Doesn't matter--Purosol only works on high end lenses, not the recycled-Coke-bottle blown-glass junk I always mount on my camera. If only someone could come out with a subatomic-level cleaner, we'd all be in high cotton. All those dirty quarks and electrons flying away from now-pristine front elements and all.

Hell, my motto's always been "better living through petroleum distillates" and all along, it was those little proteinaceous sneaks, enzymes, doin' the heavy lifting.

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'][*Aside--malaria is estimated to have killed half the humans who've ever lived on the planet. Amazing isn't it?]
**This post is what results from PUI: Posting Under The Influence--of caffeine and sleeplessness, that is.[/span]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:34:24 pm by mikeseb »
michael sebast

jclacherty

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:55:09 pm »

...I'm gonna have to stop gargling with my current lens cleaner, given all the health problems worldwide that lens cleaners have caused....heretofore, I've cleaned only at the large-clump-of-crap level with my belt sander rather than at the molecular level. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marketing hype aside ("Made for NASA") it seems ok.  I've always worried about stripping the coatings on lenses.  Might have to try some,  though it might end up costing a bit by the time it lands in Australia.  Would like to know if anyone else has tried it first.

Justin.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Lens Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 06:46:35 pm »

...Purosol was developed for NASA and the space program, as an alternative to solvent-based cleaners that destroy lens coatings, are environmentally dangerous and contribute to health problems.... [Purosol c]ontains no ammonia, alcohol, glycerin or silicone. Completely solvent free.... Purosol Optical [is] an environmentally friendly enzyme-based formula; Purosol cleans at the molecular level, neutralizing the bonds that dust, dirt, oil and grime use to adhere to glass or plastic lens surfaces. This solution is designed specifically for high-end multi-coated lenses....

Heck, I just want to know what this paragraph means! I'm gonna have to stop gargling with my current lens cleaner, given all the health problems worldwide that lens cleaners have caused. Up there with malaria* and foot fungus, it seems. Purosol, eh? Sounds like it ought to help one regain lost, ah, virtue or make one's peace prior to boarding Charon's ferry.

And I feel pretty inadequate that, heretofore, I've cleaned only at the large-clump-of-crap level with my belt sander rather than at the molecular level. Doesn't matter--Purosol only works on high end lenses, not the recycled-Coke-bottle blown-glass junk I always mount on my camera. If only someone could come out with a subatomic-level cleaner, we'd all be in high cotton. All those dirty quarks and electrons flying away from now-pristine front elements and all.

Hell, my motto's always been "better living through petroleum distillates" and all along, it was those little proteinaceous sneaks, enzymes, doin' the heavy lifting.

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'][*Aside--malaria is estimated to have killed half the humans who've ever lived on the planet. Amazing isn't it?]
**This post is what results from PUI: Posting Under The Influence--of caffeine and sleeplessness, that is.[/span]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mike,

This post goes immediately onto my Top Ten list of All-time Great Posts!

Thanks for brightening my day!    
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

n1r0t

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:29:21 pm »

Thanks for the post!

The review you posted didn't mention that on their site there's also a jewelry cleaning solution...

I work doing jewelry photography so the optical, plasma AND the jewelry cleaning options look amazing. =) I'm going to order some in the next day or so. I'll try to remember to post my thoughts...

Thanks again!

~Torin

larryg

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 09:59:51 pm »

OK I bit and ordered a couple of 2 oz bottles.

Will let you know how works.

I will try it out on some of my old clunker lenses first.

I have felt comfortable Pec pads and the fluid they sell.

I would assume that these can no longer be carried on board, or is that old news now?

larryg

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:52:10 pm »

OK I bit and ordered a couple of 2 oz bottles.

Will let you know how works.

I will try it out on some of my old clunker lenses first.
I have felt comfortable Pec pads and the fluid they sell.

I would assume that these can no longer be carried on board, or is that old news now?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Received the lens cleaner yesterday.  I cleaned my larger (polarizer lenses) lenses with it.  It seemed to work good on them.  I then tried on my smaller lens and it seemed to smear (like a oil film? and beaded up like RainX) I tried another time spraying the cleaner on the Pec Pad and still smear.

I then got out my trusty Kodak lens cleaner and was able to get it clean.

Not sure what the problem was, maybe I should use less spray?  I wiped in a circular motion until dry.

Not convinced at this point, but would appreciate if someone else has used it.

jclacherty

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:36:57 pm »

I'll try to remember to post my thoughts...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried it out yet?  How'd it go?

Justin.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Lens Cleaning
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »

I then tried on my smaller lens and it seemed to smear (like a oil film? and beaded up like RainX) I tried another time spraying the cleaner on the Pec Pad and still smear.
This is the lens coating dissolving from the solvent cleaning agent in the Purosol.
~ CB

larryg

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 06:07:01 pm »

This is the lens coating dissolving from the solvent cleaning agent in the Purosol.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=95726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those coatings on the multi-coated lenses are overrated anyway.

But then again it was on the polarizer that was on the lens

Would be good though to hear from someone in the know about this product.

pgmj

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 04:43:14 am »

Zeiss sells lens cleaning kits at www.zeiss.com/photo/shop

Works very well for me.

jjlphoto

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:39:41 am »

Zeiss sells lens cleaning kits at www.zeiss.com/photo/shop

Works very well for me.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought a couple of those kits, very good stuff. Pleae note that the fluid you buy from Germany is not the same as the Zeiss fluid you get at B&H. That domestic stuff is made for the folks who buy Sony cameras, etc, and is most likely a rebranded mediocre domestic product.

I also use Formula MC.
[a href=\"http://www.photofilter.com/formula_mc.htm]http://www.photofilter.com/formula_mc.htm[/url]
It also cleans coated surfaces without streaks or residue. I avoid ROR like the plague. It leaves residue. My preference is to use PecPads, and toss out all those microfiber cloths, even the ones Zeiss includes with their cleaning kit from Germany. Microfiber cloths leave micro scratches.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Enigma_Shock

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 06:35:17 pm »

Hi,

Just spotted this over at Toms Hardware (of all places).

http://www.denguru.com/2006/12/27/finally-...t-really-works/

Anyone used it?  What do you think?

Justin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92553\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually picked up the PLASMA formula in November upon the suggestion of a friend. I thought it woked great! Cleaned up my screen - even my laptop had fingerprints I thought wouldn't come out, and this stuff got it out. Anyway, I picked up some Purosol Optical last month. I do a lot of location shooting, so I have tried everything on my Hasse lenses. The first time I used it, it smeared a bit too, but after a second time - it didn't do it again. I think it is cause I used ROR before, and that leaves gunk (probably silicone or detergent or something) on my lens. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with it.

jclacherty

Lens Cleaning
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 11:18:32 pm »

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool.  I might buy some to try then.

Justin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up