Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink overspray  (Read 5383 times)

peterfromlondon

Ink overspray
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:21:02 pm »

I have a new Epsom 3800; the prints are great  but I have an issue with a small amount of ink overspray on one side only on to the white border, any ideas as to what may be wrong is it me or the printer?
Thanks.

michael

Ink overspray
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:10:15 pm »

It's the printer. Get a replacement or repair.

Michael

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Ink overspray
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:11:21 pm »

I have a new Epsom 3800; the prints are great  but I have an issue with a small amount of ink overspray on one side only on to the white border, any ideas as to what may be wrong is it me or the printer?
Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn't sound right -- what kind of paper is this happening on?
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

peterfromlondon

Ink overspray
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 05:30:09 pm »

Doesn't sound right -- what kind of paper is this happening on?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The paper that I am using is Ilford Smooth Pearl in A3 & A4sizes.
Peter.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
Ink overspray
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 07:52:09 pm »

The paper that I am using is Ilford Smooth Pearl in A3 & A4sizes.
Peter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That paper is a tad thicker than normal coated paper stock -- Did you try setting the platen gap to one notch wider than standard in the custom settings?  That might fix it as it does sound kind of like a head drag on that edge...  Note that when you do this on the 3800 you should also print the platen alignment for that setting.  If it works, you can save the combined settings as one of your presets.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 07:52:59 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

mcnally

• http://
Ink overspray
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 01:06:16 pm »

I have a new Epsom 3800; the prints are great  but I have an issue with a small amount of ink overspray on one side only on to the white border, any ideas as to what may be wrong is it me or the printer?
Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a Epson 2400 and that happens when I use any other paper besides than Epson.  Have you tried using Epson paper? Are you using profiles when you print? I complained to Epson about this and their response was to use only Epson paper and profiles. I suspect that it is a matter of choosing the Epson paper type that closely corresponds to the paper that you want to use. I am still trying to figure this out. Mary Pat

Yellowtail

Ink overspray
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 11:16:35 am »

I have a Epson 2400 and that happens when I use any other paper besides than Epson.  Have you tried using Epson paper? Are you using profiles when you print? I complained to Epson about this and their response was to use only Epson paper and profiles. I suspect that it is a matter of choosing the Epson paper type that closely corresponds to the paper that you want to use. I am still trying to figure this out. Mary Pat
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a problem that I too have encountered...it seems that Epson printers do not like heavyweight paper and insist on you sticking to Epson papers. Just scroll the paper choice on their new printers and it's all Epson paper. Trouble is a) I don't like Epson paper and b) you cannot make card runs without the print feeder jamming or the ink splashing the edge. I am told that HP printers are even worse with heavyweight paper feeds. I would love to find a printer which feeds a nice run of cards of 230 gsm (at least) so that it looks professional, but I work from home, attempting to print runs of 50 - 200 photographic images onto heavy weight paper (200 - 260 gsm) and cannot afford to buy a huge professional laser printer capable of handling both these issues.
I have used several different Epson photo printers and they all suffered from the problems of paper feed and ink smudge. I have ended up having to trim 100's of cards at the edge after hand feeding each one. Any advice from the manufacturers? I need to find a printer that produces clean high quality printing onto heavyweight card in non-jamming runs and that doesn't cost me several arms and legs.

dbell

Ink overspray
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:06:49 pm »

Assuming you have already tried different platen height settings, I agree with Michael that the problem is likely with your printer.

I also feel the need to point out that my own experience differs from both of the posters who claim that the Epson 2400 doesn't work (or doesn't work well) with non-Epson or thick papers. I have used many papers on the 2400 (from Ilford, Pictorico, Crane, Innova and Kodak), as well as Epson papers. Some are harder to handle than others, but none are "incompatible" in the sense of  "can't be used without mechanical problems."

I have recently been printing almost exclusively on Crane Silver Rag, which is a very thick paper (300 GSM) and I have had NO problems with overspray, head strikes or pizza-wheel marking. Provided the paper is not curled to begin with, it's not at all difficult to print on. I've had paper-handling problems on the 2400 with some Innova papers, but it has absolutely NOT been my experience that you HAVE to use only Epson papers.

--
Daniel Bell

Yellowtail

Ink overspray
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 04:33:33 pm »

I have recently been printing almost exclusively on Crane Silver Rag, which is a very thick paper (300 GSM) and I have had NO problems with overspray, head strikes or pizza-wheel marking. Provided the paper is not curled to begin with, it's not at all difficult to print on. I've had paper-handling problems on the 2400 with some Innova papers, but it has absolutely NOT been my experience that you HAVE to use only Epson papers.
--
Daniel Bell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Daniel,
How big a print run have you tried with Crane Silver Rag? Do you hand feed single sheets? I need to print up to two hundred sheets sometimes and I end up handfeeding, which takes forever.

peterfromlondon

Ink overspray
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 05:27:56 pm »

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/style_...icons/icon1.gif

Thanks for the help,I increased the platen gap and hand fed the paper one sheet at a time into the rear paper feed slot and this works much better, the smudge has gone.

Peter.

dbell

Ink overspray
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:40:58 am »

Hello Daniel,
How big a print run have you tried with Crane Silver Rag? Do you hand feed single sheets? I need to print up to two hundred sheets sometimes and I end up handfeeding, which takes forever.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've done 13x19 borderless prints with Silver Rag on a 2400. My understanding is that Silver Rag can ONLY be used with the single-sheet feeder, as the multi-sheet feeder's paper path is both too thin and bends at too severe an angle for such a thick paper. Doing such a large run on a 2400 sounds somewhat painful .

--
Daniel Bell
Pages: [1]   Go Up