Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4800 K3 ink life question  (Read 3062 times)

epson4800user

Epson 4800 K3 ink life question
« on: December 26, 2006, 05:29:39 pm »

I'm using Epson Stylus 4800, and according to the manual, the life of a K3 ink cartridge is 6 months after it's installed.  So what will happen to the unused ink after 6 months?  Will the print quality degrade?  How badly?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 05:36:51 pm »

I suspect this is one of those conditions added by the legal weasels to avoid litigation by disappointed customers. I've been printing with an Epson 7600 for several years, and some of the ink "cartridges" (boxes really) have been installed for over a year at the less used positions (cyan for me) without any detectable decline in color quality or accuracy.

claskin

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 05:38:15 pm »

I'm using Epson Stylus 4800, and according to the manual, the life of a K3 ink cartridge is 6 months after it's installed.  So what will happen to the unused ink after 6 months?  Will the print quality degrade?  How badly?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have wondered about this expiration date for years. From my own experience, I have used carts over 1 year since installation (14 months) with no deterioration in print quality or increase in clogging. You will need the experience of others as well. Supposedly, clogging will increase. In addition, some remove the carts and give them a shake every now and then to keep the ink mixed. I can't comment on this.
Carl
Carl Laskin

Tim Ernst

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »

It is as silly as putting an expiration date on bottled water...These are supposed to not fade for at least 75 years once they are exposed to the air (ink, not water), so I bet they will be stable for much longer than six months in a closed, air-tight, cart. Just pull them out and shake up a bit now and then and don't worry about it...

epson4800user

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 05:52:02 pm »

I suspect this is one of those conditions added by the legal weasels to avoid litigation by disappointed customers. I've been printing with an Epson 7600 for several years, and some of the ink "cartridges" (boxes really) have been installed for over a year at the less used positions (cyan for me) without any detectable decline in color quality or accuracy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm inclined to think that you're right, although I believe the 7600 doesn't use K3 ink.  I just need some assurance from K3 ink users, i.e. those who use R2400, 4800, 7800, 9800 printers.

jjlphoto

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 06:22:36 pm »

It's a gimmick to sell more ink of course. They are betting on the Felix Unger types who will remove them right at exactly 6 months (even if not even close to empty) and buy replacement ones.  

(Sad part of it is, I know folks like that.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 06:23:27 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Richowens

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 06:36:30 pm »

The 2200(K2 pigment) and my old 875 (dye ink) manuals both say the same thing.........6 months. I print enough that a cartridge won't last more than 2 or 3 months at most. I will say that I have used 3 year old cartridges with no ill effects, no clogs, no color shifts, etc.

On Epson's part it's called CYA.

Tim gave you the best advice.......worry not, print your heart out and be happy!  

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up