Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 roll paper feed question  (Read 17920 times)

TiX

iPF5000 roll paper feed question
« on: December 25, 2006, 09:11:20 pm »

I was under the assumption if you have loaded roll paper, then roll paper is always loaded. Although, after my 5000 has gone into power saving mode, and I send a file to it for print, the printer wakes and always gives me a paper jam error. However, this particular behavior does not show itself if the printer does not to go into power save mode. Anyone else experience this, or could you enlighten me here?

PJPhoto

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 11:39:59 pm »

When a roll is loaded and the printer is sleeping, if I print to the roll it just starts where it left off.  IF I'm printing from the cassette and a roll is loaded I think it unloads the roll, I've only done this once or twice.

If you print to the tray then it also unloads the roll.  Where were you printing to when the roll was loaded?

I haven't gotten any jams indicated becasue the roll was loaded however that I can remember.

Thanks!
Philip
www.philipjamesphoto.com

David White

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 03:30:30 am »

If a roll is loaded, printing to the cassette does not unload the roll.  The roll will only be unloaded when selecting the tray since this is shared for the roll and manual feed.  You should be able to print interchangeably between the cassete and roll feeds without an unload occurring.

I've never experienced your problem.  I would make sure that the roll is loaded correctly and not skewing the paper as it loads.
David White

cariarer

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:30:56 am »

I was under the assumption if you have loaded roll paper, then roll paper is always loaded. Although, after my 5000 has gone into power saving mode, and I send a file to it for print, the printer wakes and always gives me a paper jam error. However, this particular behavior does not show itself if the printer does not to go into power save mode. Anyone else experience this, or could you enlighten me here?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Tix,

I have the same problem as you do. It seems, that the paper is not correctly brought back to the "park" position and it recognizes the paper inside (where it shouldn't be). My guess would be that this is a firmware problem. I thought it had something to do with my general roll holder problem. But since you have the same issue, I guess it's somewhat "normal".

Kind regards, Marco...

TiX

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 05:17:51 pm »

Hi Tix,

I have the same problem as you do. It seems, that the paper is not correctly brought back to the "park" position and it recognizes the paper inside (where it shouldn't be). My guess would be that this is a firmware problem. I thought it had something to do with my general roll holder problem. But since you have the same issue, I guess it's somewhat "normal".

Kind regards, Marco...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, this is reassuring, I suppose. I only have roll paper loaded (correctly), nothing in the the cassette, and I am using a Mac running OSX. I hope it is a firmware issue, but I will be calling tech support tomorrow to see if I can get any help from them.

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 10:06:20 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I too am experiencing this.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 10:33:06 pm »

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem on Mac OS X, or are some of you running Windows?  I will add this to the Wiki FAQ when a bit more information is available.  Definitely call Canon support and let us know.

--John

TiX

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 10:56:48 pm »

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem on Mac OS X, or are some of you running Windows?  I will add this to the Wiki FAQ when a bit more information is available.  Definitely call Canon support and let us know.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I spoke with Canon support earlier tonight, and he told me when the printer goes to sleep, the roll paper should be ejected, this is the correct behavior. I verified this several times, and I asked if I would have to manually load the roll every time the printer wakes, and he said yes, that is the way the printer should function. The reason I am getting the paper jam error, is because my printer is not ejecting the paper far enough, and when the printer wakes it sees the paper and gives the error. He said this could happen if you are using thick media. My solution is to turn off power save function, and leave the printer on all the time.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 11:24:29 pm »

I spoke with Canon support earlier tonight, and he told me when the printer goes to sleep, the roll paper should be ejected, this is the correct behavior. I verified this several times, and I asked if I would have to manually load the roll every time the printer wakes, and he said yes, that is the way the printer should function. The reason I am getting the paper jam error, is because my printer is not ejecting the paper far enough, and when the printer wakes it sees the paper and gives the error. He said this could happen if you are using thick media. My solution is to turn off power save function, and leave the printer on all the time.

This seems to be at odds with several other posts in this thread indicating that they don't have this problem.  Something isn't right with this explanation.

--John

TiX

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 11:32:08 pm »

This seems to be at odds with several other posts in this thread indicating that they don't have this problem.  Something isn't right with this explanation.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Oh, I agree with you John, but I did not have the energy at the time to get into a long discussion with the tech, about what I thought of his explanation. I will call again later when I have time, and get into it further. If anyone else has a different story from Canon tech 1-800-423-2366 M-F 8am-8pm, please let us know.

cariarer

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 01:08:50 am »

Hmm... I'm running Windows XP. But I have the feeling that we might be on to something. Usually, I have paper in the casette as well. At the moment I don't. Maybe it has something to do with paper being in the cassete when the printer goes into sleep mode.

It should, by the way, retract the roll paper when it goes into sleep mode (it does it every time), but not all the way. Just into a sort of "parking" position. At least, that's what happens with mine. I will also have a closer look, but I think we can forget about OS dependency.

Kind regards, Marco...

John Hollenberg

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 01:31:38 am »

Hmm... I'm running Windows XP. But I have the feeling that we might be on to something. Usually, I have paper in the casette as well. At the moment I don't. Maybe it has something to do with paper being in the cassete when the printer goes into sleep mode.

It should, by the way, retract the roll paper when it goes into sleep mode (it does it every time), but not all the way. Just into a sort of "parking" position. At least, that's what happens with mine.

Does the roll paper have to be loaded manually when you print and the printer is in sleep mode?  That is the part of the explanation from the Canon tech that didn't sound right to me (although I must admit I haven't done any roll printing yet).

--John

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 03:40:20 pm »

I am on OSX.

JBillings

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 07:01:30 pm »

I too am using OS X, and I am having the same problems.  But they just started recently.  For 3 weeks the printer worked just fine, printing from cassette and the roll unit. It never unloaded the paper unless I told it too.... had to play with that.

For the past week, sleep mode is giving me paper jamb issues.  I called Canon Service, and the tech told me that this was normal behavior for the printer.  I told him it was not, rather pointedly.  I then explained that the printer had just started this behavior and for 3 weeks worked just fine.

I told him:

a) printer worked great for 3 weeks no issues. I'm using Kodak Professional Inkjet Photo Paper 16" x 100', 9 mil), using the semi-gl photo media type.

I chaulked it up to being at the end of a 3" core and the paper had alot of curl.  When installing a new 100' roll the printer then continued that behavior.

c) It is unacceptable that I have to tell it how long the paper is every time I have reload it and what type of paper I'm using, he told me the printer remembers paper type and roll length if that feature is turned on.  It doesn't upon wake from sleep.

d) He then told me that certain media types necessitated the unload feature.  When pressed for which media types didn't... he couldn't answer and will get back tomorrow.

e) I asked how to reset the printer to factory settings.  Figuring if it didn't do it before, maybe I should start all over again.... he told me I can't reset the entire printer:(  I'm gonna leave it unplugged tonight and try again tomorrow to see if that will do it.

f) I asked about a firmware upgrade and he was unaware of any in the pipeline.

So after a frustrating phone call, I gave up. Tech will call me back tomorrow and tell me what media types don't cause this problem...  And it may be media related, I don't know.

What type of media/settings is everyone else using?  Particularly those that aren't having troubles?

TiX

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 07:54:13 pm »

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem on Mac OS X, or are some of you running Windows?  I will add this to the Wiki FAQ when a bit more information is available.  Definitely call Canon support and let us know.

--John
I have two machines, and I had the same issue with my XP machine last night.

Today I spoke with a different tech support person, and he also said the paper should eject. Either way, I don't believe either of them because it was working, or working intermittently before. Before what? is the question.

When I called yesterday, I believed the behavior was related to the power save function being on, but later last night I had the same problem with power save off, and right after printing another print. But guess what? The printer functioned properly while the tech was on the phone (of course). We only tested two prints, with power save off, and they both worked without ejecting or giving and error.

Conclusion? You have to load and check the roll every time before sending a file for print. Hopefully this will be corrected in a firmware release, and hopefully someone from Canon reads this forum, and John's wiki.

JBillings

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 08:02:22 pm »

At least I know I'm not losing my mind... what little there is left of it!

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »

--John

John,

With the roll feeder, the printer needs to "wake up" before one goes to load a new roll of paper. If the printer does not grab the paper when you go to feed the roll, you will get a jam message. I often get a 1/2 dozen or more misfeeds, jam messages, until the roll feeder decides to grab the paper.

Just this evening, when I went to eject the paper, I also go a jam message and had to manually eject the paper.

Plus, there is no option to manually advance a new roll of paper and trim it square. I had to manually trim the slight curve in the new roll of paper to make it square before the printer would accept it.

This is with a Windows XP system.

Also, I found with a roll of 8.3" paper, the iPF5000 would recognize the paper width and leave the standard border. There was no way to set the printer driver for less than 10" wide paper. But I could specify 10" wide roll paper and print 8"x8" bordered prints by saying I was printing 8x10 prints.

So I would say that Canon can adjust both the firmware and the printer driver to accommodate less than 10" wide paper - the printer can recognize less than 10" wide paper and will leave the standard margin.

serf

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 11:09:15 pm »

According to the html manual, we are supposed to be able to advance & retract the roll manually with the up & down cursor keys on the printer.  It does not wok for me.  Does it work for anyone else?  Any tricks to get it to work?

John,
Plus, there is no option to manually advance a new roll of paper and trim it square. I had to manually trim the slight curve in the new roll of paper to make it square before the printer would accept it.

filip baraka

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 07:30:41 am »

Mac OS X 10.4.8
Same problems
Roll media was canon photo pearl 260gsm, cassete was moab kokopeli satin
I will try with matte paper to see if it makes any difference

Bill J

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 12:11:17 pm »

I was having a terrible time using roll paper, and it turned out to be two mechanical problems:

(1) a white roller down inside the printer that was stuck down, due to a burr or some other snag, which a technician corrected by sticking a screwdriver down the back paper feed slot and pressing the side of the roller. It popped up, and he thought the problem was solved, since he had seen this before, and hadn't been called back.

Solving Problem 1 worked OK for the Canon Matte Coated paper and the Fine Art Bright White (after a struggle), but I couldn't get Canon Waterproof Canvas to load AT ALL. I tried to feed it in as far as it would go, but the paper wouldn't move or go into its back-and-forth roll paper load routine. Then the roll feeder would retract the paper completely and the printer had the audacity to say "Can't detect papr" [sic]. I called back the service technician, and he came out again. He determined that:

(2) the forward feed mechanism on the auto roll feeder wasn't working. The paper would retract, but not advance the paper. He took the auto roll feeder off, and we could hear something sliding around inside. I suggested perhaps a screw loose; he said it sounded more like a spring. He took it apart, and sure enough, it was a spring that was supposed to keep a gear in place that had come loose. He put the spring back in place, and it seems to be working fine so far.

All this was very frustrating, since I had already printed 20 or 30 feet on Canon Matte Coated roll paper without any problem. Then one morning I sent a print job and got the "Paper jam" message, then the "Can't detect papr" message when I tried to reload the paper. As soon as I inserted paper, the feed rollers on the auto roll feeder would clamp down and not move.

If it's working properly, you only have to feed the paper in just enough for the roll feeder rollers to grab it and the printer should take it from there. According to the technician, there is a slight curve in the paper path which might cause a problem if the roll paper has too much curl near the end of the roll.

I asked the technician about what happens if the leading edge of the roll paper isn't exactly square and he said the printer doesn't care too much about the leading edge -- that when it's checking paper alignment to prevent possible paper jams, it's checking the side edges of the paper.

I also asked him exactly which area inside is the platen, which you are supposed to clean periodically. (The illustration in the manual is somewhat vague.) It's the 1-inch strip of plastic with all the little vacuum holes and several slots with beveled edges to catch the ink and drain it into the maintenance cartridge when you print borderless. It's those beveled slots that you clean. He showed me there was ink on them even though I haven't printed any borderless prints yet -- the printer spits ink into these areas during a maintenance cycle or startup cycle. Interesting.

Another tidbit: the reason the print heads stop moving if you open the cover while you're printing (unlike my Epson 2200) is because of an OSHA requirement. The mechanism is strong enough that it could really cause serious injury if you were to stick your finger in there while the print heads are in motion.

I hope this helps in diagnosing your problems. In my case, at least, it was not a firmware issue, an operating system issue, or anything relating to sleep mode.

Bill J
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up