Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EF 300 F4 Auto Focus Query  (Read 2345 times)

ken watkins

Canon EF 300 F4 Auto Focus Query
« on: December 24, 2006, 03:31:44 am »

This may seem a silly question.
I use the 300 F4 with an EOS 1D Mk 11, without the 1.4 x it produces fine and sharp images. With the 1.4 x the auto focus does not work very well and everyting is slightly blurred. Do I need to set up for aperture priority using a maximium of F8?

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:59:38 am »

I use the 300 F4 with an EOS 1D Mk 11, without the 1.4 x it produces fine and sharp images. With the 1.4 x the auto focus does not work very well and everyting is slightly blurred. Do I need to set up for aperture priority using a maximium of F8?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In general, the more light the AF sensors get, the better they're going to work.  AF happens with the lens "wide-open" no matter what your settings, so the camera should focus as fast with that combination of gear at Av f/5.6 (f/4, minus a stop for the TC) as it would at Av f/22.  But I would expect it to be a bit slower than without the TC.

There are all sorts of reasons for blur.  Start by making sure the optics are okay, do a set up at home, with a tripod, cable release, mirror lockup, fixed easy to focus-on subject, etc.  Try it with and without the TC, a Canon TC 1.4x II shouldn't make that much of a difference in sharpness on the 300L/4.   If you pixel peep I wouldn't be surprised if you see *some* difference, but for that TC it shouldn't be much.  Don't forget to have IS off for this test, if you have that version of the 300L/4.  Make sure you're far enough away that the camera can actually focus on the subject, too.  

If everything is a lot blurrier with the TC under those controlled conditions, I'd suspect the TC.  Otherwise, I'd suspect you're seeing some combination of camera shake (as you add focal length it gets harder and harder to keep the camera steady enough), subject blur if you're dealing with wildlife, and so on.  There are some good articles on long lens technique out there to take a look at.
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 11:02:41 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ken,
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but a 1.4x extender makes you loose one stop and transforms your 300mm f/4 lens into a 420mm f/5.6 lens. On top of that lens performance is affected and this depends on the type of lens (zoom or prime) and individual lens characteristics.

So, if you usually use your 300mm f/4 at an aperture of f/8 (2 stops from full aperture) then you'll want to use your 300mm + 1.4x extender at f/11.

Does this make sense?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 11:03:07 am by francois »
Francois

stever

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 11:34:08 am »

be sure you're using the central focus spot only - this lens doesn't focus that fast to begin with and with the TC the autofucs just can't figure out what to do with multiple point focus

the f4 is not that great wide open and the TC magnifies the problem, don't expect much with the TC under f8 (i don't think there's much difference between f8 and f11 with this lens and the extender)

i get slightly sharper images with the 300 and 1.4x than with my 100-400 at 400 and f8 -- but there's a big difference between the 300 f4 and a 1.4 and the 300 f2.8 and 1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up