Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proofing Paper  (Read 4729 times)

HickersonJasonC

Proofing Paper
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:45:49 pm »

Can anyone suggest a good proofing paper that mimicks the look of Hahnemuhle's Fine Art Pearl (and eventually Photo Rag Pearl)? I would really like to cut the cost of proofing my photos for sharpness and color.

Geoff Wittig

Proofing Paper
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:40:20 am »

No two papers are ever truly identical, so for really accurate proofing there is no substitute for printing on your target paper. I have found that making small test prints doesn't work because scale effects can make print appearance vary too widely.
That said, Epson's premium luster paper has a color gamut and Dmax almost identical to that of Fine art pearl and Crane's Silver rag. This might serve as a close approximation for a lot less $.

John Hollenberg

Proofing Paper
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 11:08:47 am »

Clayton Jones found that Red River Dourian Art was a "dead ringer" for HPR, at least for B&W work.  Heck of a lot cheaper.

See this link:

http://www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn5.htm

--John

HickersonJasonC

Proofing Paper
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 02:02:22 pm »

Clayton Jones found that Red River Dourian Art was a "dead ringer" for HPR, at least for B&W work.  Heck of a lot cheaper.

See this link:

http://www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn5.htm

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92065\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is it possible to print with photo black ink on the Dourian Art paper and proof for sharpness and color? I use an Epson r2400 and cannot afford to print of matte and glossy/semimatte papers.

I'll look into this paper. I am interested in the new Photo Rag Pearl that will be released in Jan for its lack of OBAs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up