Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why buy the Epson 3800?  (Read 14785 times)

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 02:08:30 am »

In the cleaning process dialogue box, do not select "Auto" anything. Do one cleaning cycle. Then print a nozzle check test. Then make a print. Then do another nozzle check test. As long as the test pattern shows clogged nozzles repeat this process.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92107\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, gotcha, thanks!

ArdensEye

Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 05:04:18 am »

I just read Michael's review of the Epson 3800, and it seems as though this is a fine printer.  However, I don't see the point of purchasing a 17"printer that will not take roll paper if the longest cut sheet available for the printer is 22". 

I take my photographs with the intention of printing at full frame, and this printer will only allow a full frame 35mm print at a bit more than 14" x 21".  I can get a little better than 12" x 18" from my Epson 2200, and I wouldn't consider upgrading to the Epson 3800 for such a small increase in output size.

Now, if someone was producing cut sheets at 17" x 25" I might reconsider.  Then I could get an output size of 16" x 24", which is a considerable jump from the Epson 2200 output.

Is anyone cutting sheets at this size?  Seems to me that Epson would increase sales of the 3800 if it provided larger cut sheets.

Mary
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, the site of Exim Vaios will cut paper for the 3800 as long as 6 feet, a size that allows for panoramics.  The printer can handle this sheet size feed, according to the owner, John.  It's one of the reasons I bought the printer today.  AV

ArdensEye

Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 05:12:02 am »

Yes I know, thats 43 cm x 94 cm (430mm x 970mm). But I need more in lenght than 37" or 940mm.

Epson should have put the print limit at least at 51" (or 1.295mm) to satidfy panorama photographers who are used to a 3:1 format ratio. That is the only qubble I have with the 3800 which prvents me for purchasing this printer at the moment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The custom cutsheet size for the 3800 can be made 17"x 6 feet, maybe longer? so says the owner of the store Exim Vaios, online as that and another name like Bytes and something, out of Berkeley, CA.  I bought the 3800 from them today because of this possibility for the panoramic image, no doubt hand fed at a length like that.  Hope I use it, the panoramic idea. They have a bunch of paper choices as well.

AV

picnic

Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 08:50:15 am »

The custom cutsheet size for the 3800 can be made 17"x 6 feet, maybe longer? so says the owner of the store Exim Vaios, online as that and another name like Bytes and something, out of Berkeley, CA.  I bought the 3800 from them today because of this possibility for the panoramic image, no doubt hand fed at a length like that.  Hope I use it, the panoramic idea. They have a bunch of paper choices as well.

AV
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, I was given that link on another forum but didn't find a link about them custom cutting paper--altho' they do have 'converted' Epson paper cut from rolls and de rolled.

I hope the owner is correct but all we have been told by  Epson and others is that the maximum length is 37 1/4".  I have the 3800, have heard or read nothing to the contrary of this.  Before I bought the 3800 I read that Inkjetart folks were told by some Epson advisers that the maximum was 37 1/4"--before you unwrap that printer, if this is paramount for you---check further.  You may want to return it and buy the 4800.  I would be interested where he got that information---and if he, himself, has printed that length or knows anyone that has.

More:  I have gone into my driver and checked again---the max for input for length is 37.4 inches.  I'd love to know how one overrrides this---I really doubt its possible.

Diane
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 09:02:49 am by picnic »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 11:29:05 am »

You may want to return it and buy the 4800.  I would be interested where he got that information---and if he, himself, has printed that length or knows anyone that has.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The poblem with the 4800 - which is a much more solidly built printer than the 3800 and accepts rolls of paper as well as long sheets, is that when you switch media between matte and gloss, the round trip in ink purging costs about 150 dollars. This is one of the key design flaws that the 3800 was intended to correct, which it has, but Epson chose to make this moe limited machine, probably to keep costs down.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jo Irps

Why buy the Epson 3800?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 12:09:45 pm »

The custom cutsheet size for the 3800 can be made 17"x 6 feet, maybe longer? so says the owner of the store Exim Vaios, online as that and another name like Bytes and something, out of Berkeley, CA.  I bought the 3800 from them today because of this possibility for the panoramic image, no doubt hand fed at a length like that.  Hope I use it, the panoramic idea. They have a bunch of paper choices as well.

AV
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92867\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AV,
please ask the owner of Exim Vaios of how exactly is it possible to print 6 feed. Do you need a RIP? and if so which one is it and how much does it cost.

I hope you will not be too disappointed when you will have to return the printer if it does not print 6 feet. Others will be disappointed too, but I keep my fingers crossed that there is a magical something what triggers the panorama facility.

There will be a lot of us waiting to hear some positive news from you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up