Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 and Leaf Aptus 17 back  (Read 13196 times)

dluttphoto

Mamiya 645 and Leaf Aptus 17 back
« on: December 22, 2006, 07:34:14 am »

I'm considering a Leaf Aptus 17 back for my Mamiya 645 AFDll. I can't find any info on the lens conversion or a review that speaks to any noise issues. Help if you can.

James Russell

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 09:16:43 am »

I'm considering a Leaf Aptus 17 back for my Mamiya 645 AFDll. I can't find any info on the lens conversion or a review that speaks to any noise issues. Help if you can.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are good to iso 200 as long as you don't underexpose the shadows or any of the file.

You will get a lot of color nosie at 200 in the darks and shadows if underexposed.

400 is only useable in soft light and with care and does not work in V-8 software, only LC10 or in processing pscs, lightroom, RD.

The crop factor is

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 09:17:16 am »

I am not sure what kind of information you typically want. Do you mean cropfactor with lens conversion?

The Aptus17 is 43mmx31mm. Draw 2 rectangles one the size of the 645 and the other of 43x31 this will give you a sense on what crop you will get. Pffff... I see James already beat me to it  

About noise. I find ISO200 just workable. ISO400 is on the back but I consider it totally useless. Grab yourself any Nikon or Canon for better quality on high ISO.

Overall I am very pleased with the back, for several reasons I prefer working with the cropped sensor size. The back delivers images that are big enough to satisfy 80% of my clients, file sizes are small enough to be able to process in large numbers within a reasonable period of time.

I use the back on several exotic machines as well as Hasselblad 503CW and 553ELX.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:24:59 pm by Dustbak »

LasseDPF

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:33:23 pm »

I have the same setup. AFD2 and Aptus17. It has not been trouble free, to say the least.
However I have been told there is a firmware update to the AFD2 that is supposed to solve a lot of the communication problems I have had. CAmera loosing connection to back, back not sensing camera etc. So make sure your camera has the latest firmware! or else you might end up rebooting more than taking pictures..

There is about 1.3 "crop factor" i think. Works fine execpt for interiors that I do a lot. The 35mm is not wide enough. But for most other situations it works fine.

as have been said, avoid ISO400 - useless. If you expose exactly where you want to be ISO200 is ok. Personally I like the iso100 a lot. ISO25 is VERY clean.. beautiful files..

I find that it renders blond hair often red or brown.. However that might just be me not using it correcly..

The amount of details and "clarity" of the files are very good. Being used to shooting Canon the last 4 years now almost every frame with the Aptus makes me go "wow".. It might be pixel-peeping.. but "wow"   I do like the files, but download and try the software. You will most likely be spending a lot of time with it...

Most of the "Folk" images on my website are aptus. The party-series are all ISO200 if I remember correctly..

Lasse

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:48:21 pm by LMO »
Lasse Morkhagen

dluttphoto

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 04:57:51 pm »

You are good to iso 200 as long as you don't underexpose the shadows or any of the file.

You will get a lot of color nosie at 200 in the darks and shadows if underexposed.

400 is only useable in soft light and with care and does not work in V-8 software, only LC10 or in processing pscs, lightroom, RD.

The crop factor is

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91918\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, your information was quite helpful. It will give another option other than my D2X. Great site by the way!!

DL

dluttphoto

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 04:59:44 pm »

I have the same setup. AFD2 and Aptus17. It has not been trouble free, to say the least.
However I have been told there is a firmware update to the AFD2 that is supposed to solve a lot of the communication problems I have had. CAmera loosing connection to back, back not sensing camera etc. So make sure your camera has the latest firmware! or else you might end up rebooting more than taking pictures..

There is about 1.3 "crop factor" i think. Works fine execpt for interiors that I do a lot. The 35mm is not wide enough. But for most other situations it works fine.

as have been said, avoid ISO400 - useless. If you expose exactly where you want to be ISO200 is ok. Personally I like the iso100 a lot. ISO25 is VERY clean.. beautiful files..

I find that it renders blond hair often red or brown.. However that might just be me not using it correcly..

The amount of details and "clarity" of the files are very good. Being used to shooting Canon the last 4 years now almost every frame with the Aptus makes me go "wow".. It might be pixel-peeping.. but "wow"   I do like the files, but download and try the software. You will most likely be spending a lot of time with it...

Most of the "Folk" images on my website are aptus. The party-series are all ISO200 if I remember correctly..

Lasse
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the help. Good info.
DL

dluttphoto

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 05:02:45 pm »

I am not sure what kind of information you typically want. Do you mean cropfactor with lens conversion?

The Aptus17 is 43mmx31mm. Draw 2 rectangles one the size of the 645 and the other of 43x31 this will give you a sense on what crop you will get. Pffff... I see James already beat me to it   

About noise. I find ISO200 just workable. ISO400 is on the back but I consider it totally useless. Grab yourself any Nikon or Canon for better quality on high ISO.

Overall I am very pleased with the back, for several reasons I prefer working with the cropped sensor size. The back delivers images that are big enough to satisfy 80% of my clients, file sizes are small enough to be able to process in large numbers within a reasonable period of time.

I use the back on several exotic machines as well as Hasselblad 503CW and 553ELX.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Are you processing in CS2, Raw Developer or something else?

DL

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 05:18:34 pm »

Thanks, Are you processing in CS2, Raw Developer or something else?

DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91983\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Larger quantities in CS2, smaller quantities with LC10. Tethered with LC8.4.4.

I have been told to try RD by Iridien because it seems to be very good, I haven't gotten to that yet.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:36 pm »

However I have been told there is a firmware update to the AFD2

[/QUOTE]

Do you know where to get it as I was told the same thing by a senior Leaf person. I use the AFD2 also and sometimes get a NDB on the viewfinder. My biggest concern with the Mamiya is the shutter and the ADF2 is better than the AFD. They have improved the shutter and I think it is the same shutter or similar to the Contax 645? anyhow I always have a backup body just in case.
Thanks Denis

Have a great holiday to everyone!
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:49 pm »

I'm glad to see discussion on this particular back. After lots of research and following post on this great forum I'm ready to move to mfdb. I just bought a complete Contax 645 system from a fellow member and am looking at the Aptus 17 for my first purchase, would love to hear more about it. I'm happy to hear it has ISO 25 on it. I need as low ISO as I can get to compensate for the low flash sync of the Contax @ 1/125 sec.
Please keep the post coming!!!

Ben Edmonson
Telluride, CO
www.benedmonson.com

LasseDPF

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 07:49:44 am »

No idea where to get the update. I asked my dealer and it was not available in Europe yet. He guessed some time next year.

I know there are a few Mamiya dealers on this forum, maybe they can provide some more info..

Lasse

Quote from: mcfoto,Dec 23 2006, 02:33 AM
However I have been told there is a firmware update to the AFD2

Do you know where to get it as I was told the same thing by a senior Leaf person. I use the AFD2 also and sometimes get a NDB on the viewfinder. My biggest concern with the Mamiya is the shutter and the ADF2 is better than the AFD. They have improved the shutter and I think it is the same shutter or similar to the Contax 645? anyhow I always have a backup body just in case.
Thanks Denis

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Lasse Morkhagen

WillyV.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 04:31:32 am »

Dear all,

Recently, Mamiya Japan released a firmware upgrade for the Mamiya AFDII camera. This firmware upgrade solves many communication issues between the AFDII camera and digital backs.

All Mamiya distributors world wide have been informed about the firmware upgrade. Currently, the distributors listed below have the necessary tools and software needed for the firmware upgrade.

Germany  - Mamiya Deutschland GmbH
Switzerland - GraphicArt AG
U.K. - Johnsons Photopia
Hong Kong - Sellen International Ltd.
Singapore - Cathay Photo Store
Austria - Ing. Wolfgang Loho GmbH

Quote from: LMO,Dec 28 2006, 01:49 PM
No idea where to get the update. I asked my dealer and it was not available in Europe yet. He guessed some time next year.

I know there are a few Mamiya dealers on this forum, maybe they can provide some more info..

Lasse
Thanks Denis

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up