Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 - Ethernet/Wireless Problems  (Read 4761 times)

Randal32

Epson 3800 - Ethernet/Wireless Problems
« on: December 21, 2006, 04:51:44 pm »

I am using a new 3800. Prints look great.

I am having some problems getting it to work wirelessly. I have the ethernet cable connected to an airport express, which is connected to my wireless network and I just can't get my computer to see the printer.

I also have tried using the airport express via USB cable, which works but for some reason the printing is much slower.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I'll also post this onFredMiranda to see if i get any other pings. thanks!

Randal

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 03:58:41 am »

What OS are you using?

GregW

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 04:31:13 am »

A bit more info would help:

1.  Is your wireless network an apple one or do you have mixed equipment.  It's my understanding that the Express will only bridge with a WAP or WAP Router with the WDS bridging standard e.g. an Apple Airport etc.  

2.  When used on it's own the RJ45 on the Express is used to connect to your WAN or network.  It can only be used a regular LAN port when bridged but I know from the discussion on the Apple pages that most people are unable to get it working correctly and hook up an Airport Extreme instead.

Regarding your USB experiment.  It's normal that with consumer kit like the Airport Express and Airport's you will loose bandwidth when bridging so you can expect a slowdown from the theoretical 54 MB/s.  Depending on the layout and construction of your house you this will affect you to a greater or lesser extent.

As you probably know USB 2 operates at a theoretical maximum of up to 480 MB/s.  If you then push that data down a 10 - 50 MB/s connection you can expect some throttling.

This is just my opinion but even if it did work you may only see marginal, if any improvement over your USB experiment.  

When I tested the 3800 a couple of weeks ago I found that a direct USB connection was noticeably faster than a CAT 6 network connection.  A little unrealistic, but it would have been nice to have seen giga Ethernet on this model.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 04:57:49 am by GregW »

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 12:46:31 pm »

I am using a new 3800. Prints look great.

I am having some problems getting it to work wirelessly. I have the ethernet cable connected to an airport express, which is connected to my wireless network and I just can't get my computer to see the printer.

I also have tried using the airport express via USB cable, which works but for some reason the printing is much slower.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I'll also post this onFredMiranda to see if i get any other pings. thanks!

Randal
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's not obvious - but you have to manually enable the ethernet network connection from the front panel display/menu in the setup menu. Have you done that yet? If you haven't setup the network on the printer then it will not appear on the network.

If it is Apple Wireless - sorry only know about PCs - for reference printing from Wireless or USB is about the same on my network.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Randal32

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:34:40 am »

At last!  I got it to work properly.  So here's what happened...

I had a Netgear Wirless router for my house system, even though my Mac is connected directly to the net.  When I got the printer, I bought the Airport Express.  Could not get it to work, except with USB cable, and it was dreadfully slow.  Very frustrated at this point.

So for grins, I took my Netgear wireless Router (not a print server), plugged it into the 3800, made sure the network settings were correct, and yea!, it appeared in my print and fax settings in OSX.  So I tried it and it worked great... printed fast too.

So, to replace my router I just took, I went and bought a new netgear wireless router.  Configured it properly and set it up.  The router worked fine on my wife's PC but with both Netgear routers on in the house, for some reason, I could not print wirelessly anymore.  Tried some other things and it didnt work.

So, I returned the Netgear Router and Bought a Belkin instead (just hoping it wouldnt interfere with my old Netgear router).  I set it up and everything works great.  I can print wirelessly and my wife can connect to our home wireless net, no problem.

So, I have a Belkin for my house, and a Netgear router for my printer.  Wew.  what a pain....

Hope this helps somebody someday!

Randal
randalford.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 10:34:54 am by Randal32 »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 01:01:19 pm »

I had the same issues the first few days and I'm not at all sure what I finally did but it works now too. It would run fine over the Ethernet/Airport network until I would power the machine down, then next time, nada. But it's been working fine now for a month or so. Not sure what it was (phases of the moon?). Love having network printing!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up