Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Howdy from Red Stick  (Read 3524 times)

ceedave

Howdy from Red Stick
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:41:11 pm »

I have been lurking for a long time, and finally decided to say hello, and even post. I've been learning a lot, but still don't have a good read on local culture. Still, I will plunge ahead. Please pardon any faux pas on my part.

I try to do both underwater (I am ceedave on the excellent wetpixel site, also) and landscape/nature photography. Mainly because of great DX optics (the 10.5 fisheye), I shoot Nikon. WA is very important in underwater, where camera/subject distance has to be minimized due to the murkiness and/or light-adsorption of the water.

Topside, we have great winter birds around some urban lakes here in Baton Rouge, and I have been working on images. They (the most interesting birds, like ibises) don't come in until the light is low. So it is tough. I am shooting with a fast lens from a tripod, but the birds, they do move. Also, working with a camera (D70) that ain't the best in high iso performance. So I get images like

D70 with 17-55 at 24mm, f2.8 and ISO400 for 4s, with DNR; Gitzo w/Markins ballhead. Additional lighting from streetlight. Aren't urban parks great?

I'd love to hear how others balance ISO, shutterspeed, etc., for this type of shot. I love the mood, hate the blurred beaks.

All the best from a rank beginner,

Chris

howiesmith

Howdy from Red Stick
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:19:33 am »

I would start by cleaning out the stuff in the left side (tree limbs) and the antenna and reflection.  I don't think they add anything, they are distracting, and removing would seem to cause no problems.

The birds in the trees are a bit dark I think.  Hard to see especially if they are the subject.

Nice night shot.  Good sky seperation and the buildings are both seen and lit.

ceedave

Howdy from Red Stick
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:21:38 am »

Howie,

Thanks for your comments.

I really want to try to get the birds *and* the lakescape, if I can. But the lighting is very tough, even with the streetlights helping from behind the camera. Flash is not good for the ibises, because their eyes reflect luridly (need to try moving the flash even further from the lens, but I don't think it will help). I may try one more time: slightly earlier/lighter, maybe higher ISO, and with the 1-stop-faster 35mm f2. But ultimately, may have to be a bit less ambitious and more focused.

When our dreary weather clears, I will go for some lakescape only near-dark shots, and save the birds for lighter hours. Oh, and watch out for the branches, of course.

Cheers,
Chris

howiesmith

Howdy from Red Stick
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:08 pm »

Howie,

Thanks for your comments.

Flash is not good for the ibises, because their eyes reflect luridly (need to try moving the flash even further from the lens, but I don't think it will help).

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can't the "red eye" (even though not red here) be easily removed in PS?

ceedave

Howdy from Red Stick
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 07:37:51 pm »

Can't the "red eye" (even though not red here) be easily removed in PS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91790\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Howie,
Often the reflection is large and bright, and is hard to edit out (small crop):

I may try it again, though.

Cheers,
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up