Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I Upgrade iPaq for DP-67 and Leaf Valeo?  (Read 10668 times)

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
Should I Upgrade iPaq for DP-67 and Leaf Valeo?
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:35:24 pm »

I'm currently using an iPaq hx2415 running Windows Mobile 2003 v. 4.21 and I'm thinking of upgrading to a new iPaq for my DP-67 setup. When my current setup with the Valeo 22 wi works on location it rocks but I've had issues during every shoot with the iPaq dropping the bluetooth connection. When this happens it takes anywhere from 2 min's to 10 min's to trouble shoot and occasionally I just hand the iPaq to an assistant and tell them to figure it out while I go back to shooting.

What I'm wondering is if a new top-of-the-line iPaq would solve this issue? Maybe bluetooth on the new iPaqs is better? Same with the new version of Windows mobile?

Anyone care to comment?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

bcroslin

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 09:58:09 pm »

Just wanted to answer my own question in case anyone has DP-67 bluetooth issues in the future.

I hard reset and flashed the ROM of my iPaq and it's now up-to-date. I also installed the latest Leaf DP-67 app Yair sent me and I'm happy to report I shot for a solid 2 hours today with zero issues. I also kept the iPaq in the front pocket of my waist pack while shooting so I never was way out of range with the bluetooth connection.

Now if I could just find a battery solution that provides longer shooting life I'd be a happy camper.

yaya

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:37:50 am »

Just wanted to answer my own question in case anyone has DP-67 bluetooth issues in the future.

I hard reset and flashed the ROM of my iPaq and it's now up-to-date. I also installed the latest Leaf DP-67 app Yair sent me and I'm happy to report I shot for a solid 2 hours today with zero issues. I also kept the iPaq in the front pocket of my waist pack while shooting so I never was way out of range with the bluetooth connection.

Now if I could just find a battery solution that provides longer shooting life I'd be a happy camper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know a few people that use the thicker NP-FP90 ones with good longevity. Since they won’t fit into the U bracket, they use the camera plate adapter with a Manfrotto super clamp on one of the tripod legs, to mount the DM and a 0.5m FW cable.

Just an idea....

Yair

James Russell

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 09:05:49 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob, I tried the larger batteries under the digital drive, but it doesn't fit in the U bracket and you have to be careful with connectivity.  Also the weight gets up there with a 8x10 Linhof with those batteries and the drive.

Actually since the Valeo has such a small buffer for shooting non tethered,  the ubracket the drive the batteries and the I=PAQ  unit all require a lot of chargers and gizmos it's just as easy to tether using a 12" or 15" powerbook.

[a href=\"http://russellrutherfordgroup.com/digitalcase.jpg]http://russellrutherfordgroup.com/digitalcase.jpg[/url]

That way you have an almost unlmited buffer and the Valeo and leaf V-8 and stable and very fast.

I run a powerbook battery powered and it will run for 1/2 day on a single charge.

Given all of this I do see the value in some situations using the Dp-67 and an I-paq, which is one of the reasons I bought the Aptus-22, though it still isn't available for my back.

AFter 2 years I guess it won't be made available for the A-22, though the last version of the Dp67 for the Valeo was very stable.

JR
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 09:08:43 am by James Russell »

bcroslin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:54:28 am »

Yair and James thanks for the battery suugestions.

The weight issue with the larger batteries is the one reason I have not tried them. I think ultimately I'm going to invest in a few more sets of the Sony M batteries and say my problem's solved.

I try and tether whenever I can but most of my work is shot on location and billing for a digital assistant to wander around behind me with a powerbook is out of the question for the majority of editorial jobs I do. I'm tethered with V8 anytime I'm in the studio.

Ultimately, when the DP-67 setup works it rocks. Not having a LCD on the back of the Valeo to constantly tempt me to chimp also has value. Being able to hand an art director the iPaq to watch the frames pop up is amazing.

James Russell

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:01:46 am »

Yair and James thanks for the battery suugestions.

The weight issue with the larger batteries is the one reason I have not tried them. I think ultimately I'm going to invest in a few more sets of the Sony M batteries and say my problem's solved.

I try and tether whenever I can but most of my work is shot on location and billing for a digital assistant to wander around behind me with a powerbook is out of the question for the majority of editorial jobs I do. I'm tethered with V8 anytime I'm in the studio.

Ultimately, when the DP-67 setup works it rocks. Not having a LCD on the back of the Valeo to constantly tempt me to chimp also has value. Being able to hand an art director the iPaq to watch the frames pop up is amazing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,

One of the reasons I went with the powerbook and a big DB battery is to get away from digital techs.

In studio the powerbook stays close to the camera and is tethered away from me to a 30" monitor with an extension.  That way either me or the assistant just runs the computer, but with V-8 there is not that much to do other than set a folder, set the camera and run it, at least if you stay with Version 8.34.

Had I had this system prior to the Aptus, I never would have moved from the Valeo as it takes less power to run than the Aptus and is rock solid tethered to V-8.

Still, I liked the DP-67 for the reasons you mentioned, though I found it uncomfortable to walk over to the AD and look at the image, rather than on the back of the camera.

That is one of the reasons I would have loved to see the DP-67 work on the Aptus 22, but instead fouind a workaround with the powerbook.

JR

zooizl

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 02:56:03 pm »

i just pick up a used Valeo22wi.  Can anyone using it with the HP ipaq tell me which will be the best one to buy.  By the way, i am planning to get a used one and i have a few question here:
1. Which model will have the best display?  I play around with my friend's 2210 and the screen look a bit muddy and dark!!
2.  Does the processor speed really matter with the DP-67 or even the lowest model's speed already outrun the bluetooth transmission.
3.  Do we get better display with the newer model that have VGA monitor that comes with 640x480 resolution.  The leaf sales told me that since the software only support up to 320x240 quality, you will get pixelized image with jagged edge even though it will be a brighter image due to the brightness of the new VGA mon.  Is anyone using models with the 640x480 mon??

thank you

Bernd B.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:40 am »

I know a few people that use the thicker NP-FP90 ones with good longevity. Since they won’t fit into the U bracket, they use the camera plate adapter with a Manfrotto super clamp on one of the tripod legs, to mount the DM and a 0.5m FW cable.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yair, I ordered a pair of np-fp90. It´s definitely the wrong size. Much to small. I´ll have to send them back. What´s the correct type of battery to fit the digital magazines?

Thanks, Bernd
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:09:07 am by Bernd B. »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:34:25 am »

As far as I recall Bernd You have to get the NP-FM series of Sony batteries for the digital magazine.

I took a look in the closet but the batteries I have there unfortunately are not marked

You can get the NP-FM50 but I would advice getting something like 3000 or 4000Mah batteries as the magazine is quite a power hog.

The NP-FM70 (2800Mah) or the NP-FM90 (4000Mah) will get you through a whole day of shooting (the 90 will but it might be just a tad to big for your taste). The 50's will last you only a morning.

This is the place I buy my batteries from, they have images on the site so you can see (a bit) how the connectors are.

http://www.accu-shop.nl/assets/s2dmain.htm...ideo/index.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:43:33 am by Dustbak »

Bernd B.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:07:11 am »

As far as I recall Bernd You have to get the NP-FM series of Sony batteries for the digital magazine.

I took a look in the closet but the batteries I have there unfortunately are not marked

You can get the NP-FM50 but I would advice getting something like 3000 or 4000Mah batteries as the magazine is quite a power hog.

The NP-FM70 (2800Mah) or the NP-FM90 (4000Mah) will get you through a whole day of shooting (the 90 will but it might be just a tad to big for your taste). The 50's will last you only a morning.

This is the place I buy my batteries from, they have images on the site so you can see (a bit) how the connectors are.

http://www.accu-shop.nl/assets/s2dmain.htm...ideo/index.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up