Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Backs for Rollei  (Read 12902 times)

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
Digital Backs for Rollei
« on: December 19, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »

Dear Everyone,

I have the usual complement of 35mm based digital cameras.  I'm currently using a couple of Nikon D2x's.
But I still have three Rollei 6001's sitting on the shelf w/ several really good optics for the system.  Is there a digital back that is square aspect ratio and is inexpensive?  I don't want to spend a fortune and thought I might be able to find a used 11meg or 16 meg digital back for these cameras.

Any feedback would be nice.

Kirk Tuck
Austin, Texas
www.kirktuck.com

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 12:42:25 am »

Hi Kirk,

I would try one of the Ixpress 16MP backs, like the 96c, with the Rollei adapter plate. I have the 22MP version for my 6008i and it works great.
There a few Imacon backs for hasselblad V only, like the CFV and the V96.

Another option would be to buy a Rollei digital bundle with the Phase one 20 back. But the camera comes in included (nice for the collection though...)

Wim
I don't have a signature.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:32 am »

I hope you are aware that the Rollei adapter is around $2500 USD
Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Gigi

• some work
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:17:38 pm »

Cheers,
Willem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As an alternative for serious amateur work, does anyone have any real experience with the P20 on the Rollei?

It might just be a good time to add one, for a (DMF) reasonable price?

While I know that Phase won't upgrade them, does anyone think they'll fit, or be adaptable to the Hy6?

Just wondering - with those 6008 lenses in the closet, I miss shooting with the Rollie.

Geoff
Geoff

Graham Mitchell

Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 05:16:08 am »

While I know that Phase won't upgrade them, does anyone think they'll fit, or be adaptable to the Hy6?

I've been told that the Hy6 will have a new mount, so the P20 won't fit the Hy6 if this is the case.

For a user review of this combination, with samples, see: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DiFK&tag=

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 01:06:30 pm »

Cheers,
Willem.

I paid 750 euros for a perfectly new adapter from a local Hasselblad dealer. I have never seen higher prices.
I don't have a signature.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 02:53:38 pm »

As an alternative for serious amateur work, does anyone have any real experience with the P20 on the Rollei?

It might just be a good time to add one, for a (DMF) reasonable price?

Just wondering - with those 6008 lenses in the closet, I miss shooting with the Rollie.

Geoff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91707\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i used the P20 rollei bundle for a year both on location and in studio...works great, wonderful combination...everything the way it should be....by the way the camera body is not locked with the back, any latest version 6008i2 or 6008af can be used with the rollei/phase P20....only drawback is of course the size of the sensor, the masked off finder is no problem at all, obviously the 40mm is the widest lens, which isn't very wide on the 37x37mm sensor....the files from the P20 blow away any 35mm DSLR, i had a 1DsmkII which simply wasn't used much....the only reason for using the canon would have been the higher asa and i found the phase 400 to have more film-like (tri-x) "grain" then the very clean canon 1600 and 3200, which have a nice look as well, but the phase keeps the shadows much much cleaner with much more detail.....
i actually just traded in the P20 for a P30 (yes, phase let me do that and gave me a price i could not believe) and got the P30 in a mamiya mount, but am waiting for the Hy6 to be announced to switch mounts (and probably to the P30+)....
after having had a valeo and testing all (imacon, sinar, leaf) i went with phase...best software/workflow, least noise, fast shooting.....the emotion would have been my second choice and i was very close to get the e75 bundle...but the software and higher, cleaner iso made me go with the phase...the GREAT deal i got with the P30 helped as well of course.....
i feel that i can make the phase files look like aptus/emotion files, but not the other way around.....
anyway i had to make a desicion between camera and back and the back won out, especially because i am very much looking forward to the Hy6, which i am sure will support phase backs...but like someone here said, it will not accept the P20 for the 6008....but with the way phase handled my trade in i am very confident i made the right choice and changing mounts on the phase is always and option....
the rollei lenses are the best...period...nothing comes close....i think that one of the reasons i got such great files out of the P20 is the lenses....the detail and contrast is phantastic....

Gigi

• some work
Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 08:23:29 am »

Might you have any contact info to track down the back you traded in?
I'm thinking the P20 might be fine for what I need for now.

Geoff
Geoff

ixpressraf

Digital Backs for Rollei
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 04:43:08 pm »

Hello there,
i am curently using a imacon ixpress 384 on my rollei camera's and i am extremely happy with the combination. For me an important point was the adaptebillity to any other camera by means of adapter plates. So when the HY6 will come available i can simply buy an adapter to fit my back ( and ofcourse lenses)  to that wonderfull new camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up