Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF6000???  (Read 4777 times)

beharkey

Canon iPF6000???
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:37:13 am »

I am ready to purchase a wide format inkjet printer for Fine Art prints and I decided that I was going to purchase the Canon iPF5000 which prints up to 17" wide.

Then I started seeing a few rumors around the Internet that Canon is planning to release the iPF6000, which will print up to 24" wide.  The rumors sound like this printer won't be available until early 2007.

So I'm not sure what to do.  I would really like to have the option to print as wide as 24", but I need a printer now.  I could purchase the iPF5000 now and then sell it when the iPF6000 comes out.  Or I could wait until the iPF6000 comes out.

Does anyone know any details about the iPF6000?  Specifically, when is it going to be available, how much will it cost, what are the dimensions, etc.  I'm trying to make the best decision and those details would sure help out.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

michael

Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:44:26 am »

My suggestion would be to get the HP Z3100. I've been testing it for the past few days and so far it is remarkable in just about every way. My review will appear here soon. They apparently will start shipping in a few weeks, at least in North America.

On the other hand, I have just finished making close to 2,000 11X17" prints with the Canon 5000 over the past month, and the machine has performed almost perfectly. But, it still is annying in many ways, which the HP is not. User interface on the HP is far superior. The built in spectrophotometer is also hard to live without once you've experieneced it.

The Canon iPF6000, if and when it comes, had better have an improved user interface and manual or it won't compete with the Z3100.

Michael

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:18:53 am »

My suggestion would be to get the HP Z3100. I've been testing it for the past few days and so far it is remarkable in just about every way. My review will appear here soon. They apparently will start shipping in a few weeks, at least in North America.

On the other hand, I have just finished making close to 2,000 11X17" prints with the Canon 5000 over the past month, and the machine has performed almost perfectly. But, it still is annying in many ways, which the HP is not. User interface on the HP is far superior. The built in spectrophotometer is also hard to live without once you've experieneced it.

The Canon iPF6000, if and when it comes, had better have an improved user interface and manual or it won't compete with the Z3100.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

Thanks for the heads up on the HP.  I too am in the marktet for a 24" model and, as much as I like the Canon iPF5000 (not one nozzle issue in 5 months), I am having a problem with some a subtle "banding/noise-like" pattern near the trailing edge when using the cassette feed.  Four calls to Canon over 6 weeks and sending them a sample of the problem has not been of any help (yet).  

Looking forward to your review of the HP.  

Tony Bonanno
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

Tim Ernst

Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:14:02 am »

It will be nice to get rid of gloss differential at last on our great plastic satin papers when the z3100s ship - only wish they had a 17" or 18" version or anything with a paper tray for 13x19 sheets... Still no perfect printer that can do it all, but I think we are getting close...

deelight

• http://
Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:51:38 am »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael,

the HP website sais the Z3100 is able to print any size (up to 24" of course) that is LARGER than DIN A4 - err, does it print a DIN A4? If yes - does A4 print easily or is it problematic in terms of user friendlyness (only roll-feed or A4 sheets, manual feed or cassette feed)???

I am also looking forward to your review on the Z3100... thank you for this much information you provide on LL!

Best regards from Cologne,

Clem

----- Merry Christmas everybody -----

chris anderson

Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:56:50 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:13:38 pm by chris anderson »

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
Canon iPF6000???
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:40:30 pm »

The other question is do you need to print on roll or sheet papers? 24" and up printers are roll feed only. For the 24" and 44" printer HP is now probably the choice because of the built-in spectro.

Question Michael, does the HP have the same ink usage info that the Canon does? Because then a print shop could do prints on more of a time and materials basis.

My budget could only swing the iPF5000 and I am quite pleased with it plus I already have a Print FX/Spyder combo for profiling. The default Canon profiles actually look quite good on Hawk Mountain papers. But Michael is right, the Canon user interface and "do it MY WAY" personality has a kick like a mule.

A hint for the iPF5000 or other large desktop printers - put it on a laminate shelf that rests on the actually shelf or desktop. You can get these laminate shelfs precut in the US in different sizes. It makes moving the printer around on the desk surface much easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up