Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Meeting with a Gallery/Art Center Owner  (Read 14851 times)

mr.dude

Meeting with a Gallery/Art Center Owner
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:20:31 am »

Hi,

I’ve been asked by the proprietor of an art center/gallery to call & schedule a meeting to show my work, as the owner is considering giving me a personal exhibition.  The thing is, I’m completely new to all of this.  The place is on the opposite coast from where I’m at and being not so well off financially, I doubt I’ll be able to travel out there for a meeting if they wanted me to go there.  Who knows, maybe the owner intends to travel out here, but I wanted to know a few things before calling.  In a situation like this, would the artist usually travel out to the gallery/art center or is there really no customary “rules?”  I’m really new and clueless about all this so I don’t want to insult anybody if I tell them I cannot make it.  Is it okay to send portfolios/selected works for review if I cannot meet them, or does that not seem alright?  

Many thanks.

mr.dude

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:23:39 am »

I got a blank page after submitting the thread, so I hit the refresh button and ended up with two posts.  Sorry.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:00:20 am »

I own a small art gallery and would recommend (from my perspective)
1. submit some samples (a broad sample of your best work) by email or mail
2.  Ask the gallery owner for any particulars (what are they looking for i.e. themes, number of images etc.)
3.  Definately give examples/history of past events, awards, credits or whatever will put you in a good light.
4.  The more questions you ask of the owner, before hand, the better prepared you can be when presenting your work.  You also might ask the galleries history of similar exhibits (such as photographic) and what was their experience.

The more professional your presentation looks the better.  Most owners do not have a lot of spare time. Keep it on target They probably don't want to know your life history.
Best of luck

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 03:37:59 pm »

I would call the gallery owner and explain your concerns and where you are coming from.  If they truly want to show your work, I would expect them to respect your situation.  Being new at this is not a crime or an oversight.  We all have to start somewhere!  

Today, with the web, I hardly do anything in person anymore for first contacts.  Everything takes place over the phone or email with references to a web gallery, or a PDF catalog, or mailed samples.  This is definitly the approach I recommend, especially if you have not talked to the gallery person yet.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:37:14 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

howiesmith

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 04:22:45 pm »

Hi,

I’ve been asked by the proprietor of an art center/gallery to call & schedule a meeting to show my work, as the owner is considering giving me a personal exhibition.  The thing is, I’m completely new to all of this.  The place is on the opposite coast from where I’m at and being not so well off financially, I doubt I’ll be able to travel out there for a meeting if they wanted me to go there.  Who knows, maybe the owner intends to travel out here, but I wanted to know a few things before calling.  In a situation like this, would the artist usually travel out to the gallery/art center or is there really no customary “rules?”  I’m really new and clueless about all this so I don’t want to insult anybody if I tell them I cannot make it.  Is it okay to send portfolios/selected works for review if I cannot meet them, or does that not seem alright?   

Many thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unless Dude is your real name, you may appear more professional with another name.  You might anyway.

Bobtrips

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:58:04 pm »

Unless Dude is your real name, you may appear more professional with another name.  You might anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good advice, howie....              

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 09:17:05 pm »

Unless Dude is your real name, you may appear more professional with another name.  You might anyway.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What does his name have to do with it? He came to this forum to ask for advice; many people don't use their real names, some of us do; I thought it was an honest question and who cares about his alias. Don't be nasty. Have a happy holiday and be well.

howiesmith

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 06:01:22 am »

What does his name have to do with it? He came to this forum to ask for advice; many people don't use their real names, some of us do; I thought it was an honest question and who cares about his alias. Don't be nasty. Have a happy holiday and be well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91694\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

His name is what the gallery owner will see.  Will an airline ticket be issued to "mr. dude?"  He asked for advice and I merely provided my honest opinion that "mr. dude" doesn't sound professional.  I didn't ask his real name, didn't ask to confirm whether "mr. dude" was his real name, and I certainly was not trying to be nasty.  

Personnally, I don't care what his real name is, or what he calls himself, or whether he takes my advice.  Thank you for the holiday and health wishes.

mr.dude

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 04:58:36 pm »

His name is what the gallery owner will see.  Will an airline ticket be issued to "mr. dude?"  He asked for advice and I merely provided my honest opinion that "mr. dude" doesn't sound professional.  I didn't ask his real name, didn't ask to confirm whether "mr. dude" was his real name, and I certainly was not trying to be nasty. 

Personnally, I don't care what his real name is, or what he calls himself, or whether he takes my advice.  Thank you for the holiday and health wishes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

where did this come from?  "mr.dude" is just my user name here

howiesmith

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 05:19:00 pm »

where did this come from?  "mr.dude" is just my user name here
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It came from a suggestion of mine that you might appear more professional if you didn't go by "mr. dude."  I know your name has nothing to do with your photo abilities, but your "name" may have something to do with your professional appearance.  Like wearing a tie instead of a Speedo to an interview.

No need to get upset.  It was just a suggestion.  Take it or leave it.  You won't hurt my feelings (if you care).

I know a photographer is not the same as a doctor, but I wouldn't let "Dr. Dude" take out my tonsels.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 05:23:16 pm by howiesmith »

Bobtrips

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 05:27:10 pm »

I know a photographer is not the same as a doctor, but I wouldn't let "Dr. Dude" take out my tonsels.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91827\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about Dr. Frank Paine?

He was our family doctor when I was growing up....

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 05:59:36 pm »

As long as we are miles from whatever topic we started on here, I'll chip in: I used to work with a surgeon named Dr. Grimm. Yes, Grimm. The poor beggar was aptly named, and his moniker seemed to apply to his patients as well.

Nicest guy you ever wanted to meet, and good surgeon--hell, he had to be, because it seemed every night we were on call at the same time we'd wind up doing middle-of-the-night surgery on some unfortunate very elderly, very sick person whose colon had exploded or whose gallbladder had turned gangrenous. With me up at the head of the table dialing in the anesthetic gases, pumping in IV fluids with both hands, and praying for some blood pressure to appear from somewhere, anywhere, good ol'  Dr. Grimm labored to extirpate the bit of traitorous tissue at the heart of the matter. Enough to make you old....

Memories...As I frequently note, my worst days wearing my photographer's hat beat many such days as an anesthesiologist!
michael sebast

howiesmith

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 06:01:46 pm »

How about Dr. Frank Paine?

He was our family doctor when I was growing up....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91829\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't pick him out of the yellow pages, and I may miss out on a great doctor.  Even so, Dr. Paine is more professsional sounding to me than Dr. Dude.

Mike, when I was in high school I had a friend named John Toothacher.  Yes, his father was a dentist.  But Dr, Toothacher, DDS is not Dr. Dude.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:06:19 pm by howiesmith »

jecxz

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:51:37 pm »

Dr. Paine and Dr. Grimm...

Thanks guys, that gave me a good laugh.

mr.dude

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »

thanks for most of the replies, even the story of dr.grimm.  everything turned out fine.  as for the word "dude," dwell on it if you wish
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:12:26 pm by mr.dude »

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 03:49:29 am »

Mike, when I was in high school I had a friend named John Toothacher.  Yes, his father was a dentist.  But Dr, Toothacher, DDS is not Dr. Dude.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had a Miss Treat for a while.

jecxz

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 08:31:09 am »

thanks for most of the replies, even the story of dr.grimm.  everything turned out fine.  as for the word "dude," dwell on it if you wish
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am certainly interested in what you decided about the gallery and I would understand if you didn't write any more here because someone didn't know the difference between an online screen name and a real name. Please PM me what you decided, I'd like to hear your experiences.

pcrov

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 10:48:18 am »

I had a Miss Treat for a while.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Millard Elementary, 6th grade? She was probably one of my most influential teachers.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 08:05:18 pm »

Ok, sorry slow night

Anna Skaggs and she was too

John Prico    

Fonda Peters  

What were their parents thinking???

Bobtrips

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 08:51:10 pm »

Ok, sorry slow night

Anna Skaggs and she was too

John Prico     

Fonda Peters 
What were their parents thinking???
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92007\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Harry Grubb - my father's friend

Smiley Elmo Clapp - cousin who used to have to carry a copy of his birth certificate in order to cash a check.

Richard (Dick) Slider - College friend who had a strange pointed head and very short blond hair.  One time he put on a pink turtle neck and looked just like a circumcised talking penis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up