Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used Entrada 5x7 cards in an Epson 2400?  (Read 3756 times)

kphelan

Anyone used Entrada 5x7 cards in an Epson 2400?
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:08:23 pm »

I have been using Moab Entrada 7x10 scored card stock paper for a few years now, first with an Epson 2200 and more recently with a 2400.  I have had the same problem with both printers.  I cannot get the printer to load even a single sheet of this paper by itself.  I must hand feed each sheet by holding the edges and waiting for the printer to catch it and suck it in.  I am using the standard top feed sheet loader, where I normally load Epson Enhanced Matte with little problem.  Epson specs the standard sheet feeder capacity at 20 sheets of Enhanced Matte.  I have been trying to load 5 sheets of Entrada to no avail.  When I let the printer try to load the paper, it usually grabs a sheet and spits it all the way through without printing, and then stops with the red flashing "paper jam" light.  I re-load the paper, this time holding the top edges, clear the paper jam button and carefully apply pressure to the paper until it "bites".  It then prints, but the cycle repeats itself with each sheet thereafter.

This happens regardless of application or print driver.  I use Imageprint 6, PSCS2,  and Word on a WinXP box.  Same results every time.  I have asked Moab and they have not heard of this problem before.  I've seen it routinely with a 2200 printer and now two different 2400 models.  It's very frustrating and I normally just live with it, as I do not use this paper very often.  My most used paper is 13x19 Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 loaded through the single sheet rear feeder (which works great).  I always forget, however, until this time of year while running a batch of 100 or so holiday cards.  Then I remember how bad it was the last time....

Has anyone out there used this combo before?  Thanks.

---Kent

Tim Ernst

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:29:52 pm »

I had the exact same problem last year with the 2400 and that card stock. The first printer fed about two dozen cards before it messed up. Epson sent me a new one. The second printer lasted about 30 or 40. The third printer lasted a little bit longer. The forth printer only lasted about a dozen cards before it quit feeding and then I quit and gave up. I no longer use the Moab card stock with this printer. Epson support was dismal and was never interested in actually trying to figure out what the problem was. I guess I could have continued to get new printers but it was not worth the trouble. I printed a couple hundred cards with the Moab stock this year via the HP 9180 with no issues. I still have the last 2400 they sent me, but don't use it to print cards...

ausdlk

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 01:01:09 am »

Moab Entrada 5x7" paper would not load without manual intervention on my R2400 printer.

I decided that the coefficient of friction for this paper and the rubber wheel that grabs and a feeds the paper was -39.33 which is too low for reliable paper feeds.

Okay, that's BS but I think there is friction problems with this particular paper. I have occasional paper feed problems with other papers too but nothing as consistent as occurred with this paper.

Dave.

I have been using Moab Entrada 7x10 scored card stock paper for a few years now, first with an Epson 2200 and more recently with a 2400.  I have had the same problem with both printers.  I cannot get the printer to load even a single sheet of this paper by itself.  I must hand feed each sheet by holding the edges and waiting for the printer to catch it and suck it in.  I am using the standard top feed sheet loader, where I normally load Epson Enhanced Matte with little problem.  Epson specs the standard sheet feeder capacity at 20 sheets of Enhanced Matte.  I have been trying to load 5 sheets of Entrada to no avail.  When I let the printer try to load the paper, it usually grabs a sheet and spits it all the way through without printing, and then stops with the red flashing "paper jam" light.  I re-load the paper, this time holding the top edges, clear the paper jam button and carefully apply pressure to the paper until it "bites".  It then prints, but the cycle repeats itself with each sheet thereafter.

This happens regardless of application or print driver.  I use Imageprint 6, PSCS2,  and Word on a WinXP box.  Same results every time.  I have asked Moab and they have not heard of this problem before.  I've seen it routinely with a 2200 printer and now two different 2400 models.  It's very frustrating and I normally just live with it, as I do not use this paper very often.  My most used paper is 13x19 Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 loaded through the single sheet rear feeder (which works great).  I always forget, however, until this time of year while running a batch of 100 or so holiday cards.  Then I remember how bad it was the last time....

Has anyone out there used this combo before?  Thanks.

---Kent
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pflower

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:36:23 am »

I just had an Epson tech out with a feeding problem on my new 3800.  After about 2 weeks it refused to load any paper at all.  I had been using mostly photo rag.  The tech said that the problem was that fibres from photo rag were sticking to the rubber roller which reduced friction and consequently nothing was loading.  He put a bit of cleaning alcohol on a lint free cloth, ran a feed on the roller a couple of times while holding the cloth against it.  The cleaning of the roller worked perfectly and now everything loads first time.

Try this or, as I was told, run a sheet of cleaning paper through the printer and this should work.

Philip

Moab Entrada 5x7" paper would not load without manual intervention on my R2400 printer.

I decided that the coefficient of friction for this paper and the rubber wheel that grabs and a feeds the paper was -39.33 which is too low for reliable paper feeds.

Okay, that's BS but I think there is friction problems with this particular paper. I have occasional paper feed problems with other papers too but nothing as consistent as occurred with this paper.

Dave.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kphelan

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 10:54:40 am »

I just had an Epson tech out with a feeding problem on my new 3800.  After about 2 weeks it refused to load any paper at all.  I had been using mostly photo rag.  The tech said that the problem was that fibres from photo rag were sticking to the rubber roller which reduced friction and consequently nothing was loading.  He put a bit of cleaning alcohol on a lint free cloth, ran a feed on the roller a couple of times while holding the cloth against it.  The cleaning of the roller worked perfectly and now everything loads first time.

Try this or, as I was told, run a sheet of cleaning paper through the printer and this should work.

Philip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, thanks Philip, I'll try cleaning it.  At least it's heartening to hear that others are having the same problem.  Having now seen this over a period of years with multiple Epson printers, I am not holding out hope that the new 3800 I was contemplating will solve the problem.  More likely I should stop beating my head against this wall and find a different card stock.

Can anybody recommend a scored paper that makes c5x7 cards?

Thanks to all,

---Kent

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:01:21 pm »

Unfortunately, Epson 13" printers just don't have very good paper handling, especially when it comes to fine art papers. It always seems to require manual intervention of some sort. At best you are usually stuck with 1 page at a time.

$.02
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:33:29 am »

I have been using Moab Entrada 7x10 scored card stock paper for a few years now, first with an Epson 2200 and more recently with a 2400.  I have had the same problem with both printers.  I cannot get the printer to load even a single sheet of this paper by itself.  I must hand feed each sheet by holding the edges and waiting for the printer to catch it and suck it in.  I am using the standard top feed sheet loader, where I normally load Epson Enhanced Matte with little problem.  Epson specs the standard sheet feeder capacity at 20 sheets of Enhanced Matte.  I have been trying to load 5 sheets of Entrada to no avail.  When I let the printer try to load the paper, it usually grabs a sheet and spits it all the way through without printing, and then stops with the red flashing "paper jam" light.  I re-load the paper, this time holding the top edges, clear the paper jam button and carefully apply pressure to the paper until it "bites".  It then prints, but the cycle repeats itself with each sheet thereafter.

This happens regardless of application or print driver.  I use Imageprint 6, PSCS2,  and Word on a WinXP box.  Same results every time.  I have asked Moab and they have not heard of this problem before.  I've seen it routinely with a 2200 printer and now two different 2400 models.  It's very frustrating and I normally just live with it, as I do not use this paper very often.  My most used paper is 13x19 Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 loaded through the single sheet rear feeder (which works great).  I always forget, however, until this time of year while running a batch of 100 or so holiday cards.  Then I remember how bad it was the last time....

Has anyone out there used this combo before?  Thanks.

---Kent
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the exact same experience with this paper on my my 2200. I suspect it is dust build-up on the rollers. I'll try the cleaning paper approach. I wonder if this is a problem with the 3800? I am considering moving to one in the Spring.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:35:39 am »

I had exactly the same frustration last year using 2200/moab combination.  After several long conversations with epson techs, the only answer they could provide was that the moab papers are not supported or approved.  I even tried the roller  cleaning but that did help.  When i run multiple sheets of Epson Matte thru the printer--no problems.  However epson does not make a product for  gift cards.  So after investing in this printer and a CIS for it to keep cost down, frustration rules and I am looking for another alternative.  The comments above about the HP 9180 look encouraging.  I also checked out a color laser printer and have seen some very good results from both HP and Magicolor.  When comparing cost to startup and the cost per printed card, the laser option looks like it may to go.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Island Design

• http://www.islanddesign.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 06:54:21 pm »

What I would like to have would be an air suction fed printer for zero load problems. I have my printers in a separate room anyway so the noise wouldn't bother me a bit compared to misfeeds or having to retry feeds on special stocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up