Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 2200 ink blobs on prints  (Read 2780 times)

MatthewCromer

Epson 2200 ink blobs on prints
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:05:57 pm »

Please help!

About 1/2 of the prints from my Epson 2200 have blobs of ink on the edges, or sometimes even the image area.  Usually the blobs are the matte black ink, but sometimes the colored inks.

I am printing on Epson enhanced matte with Windows XP and the standard drivers.  Printing from Gimp, but the problem also occurs when printing the test sheet from the printer drivers.
I have used a damp coffee filter to clean the print head, replaced all ink carts, etc. and still I get the same results.

Is the printer just laying down too much ink, and somehow it is getting stuck to the print head instead of absorbing into the paper?  Do I need to look at going back to my old, slow mac and photoshop with the Atkinson profiles to stop this problem?  I haven't tried that yet.  Anyone ever see this problem before?

Thanks,

MC

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:03:37 pm »

Matthew,

First question, are you using Epson cartridges?  If so, then I think you may not have the bottom of the print head clean enough. I use strips of paper towel cut, not torn, about 1 1/2 inches wide, folded in 1/3s to about 1/2 inch wide. I work them under the print head, put a few drops of Windex on the towel until wet but not dripping. I slide this back and forth pullling gently against the surface of the print head. I repeat this until they come out fairly clean, then repeat with dry strips a couple of times. print some nozzle checks and you should be good to go.
Also, while the print head is moved off the park position, use a long Q tip and Windex or distilled water to clean the o-ring on the capping station. Sometimes paper fibers and in my case kitty hair can keep it from sealing properly.

What often happens with matt type paper is fibers can come off the paper and stick in the ink spray, causing a buildup of fibers and evaporated ink. This has happened to me with both dye and pigment inks.

Hope this helps

Rich

MatthewCromer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:43 pm »

Many thanks for the suggestions.

I will do a much more thorough cleaning this week and see if that resolves the problem.

colourperfect

• http://www.colourperfect.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:47:49 pm »

It may be the case that you have dust or other muck around the print head. I was getting a strange pattern of dots until I discovered a hair stuck on a print. I put a few blank sheets through and another hair came out. After this no more problems.

Ian

http://www.colourperfect.co.uk

MatthewCromer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 09:42:57 am »

I did a VERY thorough cleaning including vacuuming and cleaning the landing pad and blotting up all the ink from it.

Several perfect prints.

I have a TERRIBLY dusty house, part of it is the 3 cats and two dogs, and there are some other factors as well.

I'm just going to have to keep cleaning this printer frequently, and probably get a plastic dust cover for whenever it is not in use.

Many thanks for the suggestions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up