Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Exposure JPG Conversion  (Read 2908 times)

BJL

Post Exposure JPG Conversion
« on: December 13, 2006, 08:54:54 pm »

One comment on the K10D review: the Pentax K10D is not the first DSLR to offer in camera conversion of RAW files to JPEG (or TIFF). It is not even the first camera that Michael has tested with this feature: the Olympus E-1 has it.

Not that I can blame Michael for not getting to page 113 of the E-1 manual, where this feature appears under the rather misleading name of "RAW data edit".

Still, Olympus, not Pentax, deserves Michael's kudos for this "out-of-the-box thinking". (Along with sensor dust elimination of course, another Olympus innovation that Pentax has sensibly copied, along with the Minolta innovation of sensor-based stabilization.)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:33:45 pm »

One comment on the K10D review: the Pentax K10D is not the first DSLR to offer in camera conversion of RAW files to JPEG (or TIFF). It is not even the first camera that Michael has tested with this feature: the Olympus E-1 has it.

Not that I can blame Michael for not getting to page 113 of the E-1 manual, where this feature appears under the rather misleading name of "RAW data edit".

Still, Olympus, not Pentax, deserves Michael's kudos for this "out-of-the-box thinking". (Along with sensor dust elimination of course, another Olympus innovation that Pentax has sensibly copied, along with the Minolta innovation of sensor-based stabilization.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And pixel mapping.  Who else has got that ? K-M/Sony ?   Still, Canikon wouldn't want to eat into their after sales revenues, would they....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 02:35:09 pm by drm »
--
David Mantripp

BJL

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:17 pm »

Perhaps I came across as cynical about Pentax, but that is not my feeling. I favor a company mixing its own innovations with duplications of good initiatives from competitors, rather than the "not invented here" attitude which, for example, seems likely to mean that Canon and Nikon will be the last DSLR makers to offer in-body stabilization (Olympus has hinted that it is coming.)

Pentax and Olympus seem to be trying more unusual innovations than the two market leaders (like Pentax's pancake primes and Olympus' LiveView), as I suppose should be expected from companies that need to differentiate their product lines from those of far larger competitors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up