Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider/Rollei electronic shutters  (Read 7056 times)

Paul Barker

Schneider/Rollei electronic shutters
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of either the Schneider or Rollei electronic shutters. I can't find much about the Rollei and wonder, with all the moves being made, are they still availble/being made? B&H and Robert White still list them.

Looking into the possibility of using one of these with a P1 back, with controller. More interested in finer control and not have to fumble with copal shutters/apertures etc. Also (although not a priority), being able to use the lenses on a recessed board for WA with a Sinar P3. Having no shutter/aperture rings, I believe, makes this a better option.

One difference between them seems to be shutter speed. The Schneider seems to do very long exposures but only a 60th at the short end. OK in the studio, but if outside one would have to resort to NDs. The Rollei has a long exposure of 32s and the shortest of 500th.

Any thoughts or experiences, good or bad, appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

David WM

• http://
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 08:25:38 pm »

Hi Paul
I have recently taken delivery of the Schneider Electronic shutter which I am going to be using with a Cambo Ultima and eMotion22.  It did take a few months to arrive and there didn't seem to be a lot of familiarity with it by the distributors, but it does exist!
I was under the impression that the Eyelike Capture Pro software would operate the shutter remotely from the Mac, but I have now found out it does not support it with the e22. I'd guess that use with the Eyelike Precision range of DB's is supported in Capure Pro. Software development with Capture Pro has now stopped.
There is a software update (no release date) in the pipeline for Sinar Captureshop to support the shutter and it is also supposed to be supported in the new Sinar software I believe due in first Quarter of 2007.  
At the moment, to be able to use it I understand that I'd need to buy the Schneider controller which enables you to use the shutter without a Mac.
I don't know if the P25 software supports the shutter, but the future looks OK for eMotion users.
Anyway,  I can't give you feedback on using it ..yet.
The shutter does fit into the recessed lens board of Cambo Ultima23.
Hope this helps
David

Paul Barker

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:36:20 am »

Thanks David. From what I've read I think you will (in the future), be able to control your shutter from software. I hope Sinar/Jenoptic hurry up with the updates for you to save you having to buy the controller.

For Phase users, control via software is not possible, at least at the moment. So I need the controller, but that's no problem. Software control would be nice, but not the end of the world, not for single shot use.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:57:34 am »

I use Rollei electronic shutters (Sironar Rodenstock Digital lenses) on my Rollei XAct2 and LEaf Aptus 65 digital back.  I have no issues.  I use a Rollei Lens controller.  I capture my images to a CF card I have two manual lenses as well. The electronic shutters are very easy to use and there is great accuracy in reproducibility between shots. I am happy to answer any other specific questions. Mark

Hi Paul
I have recently taken delivery of the Schneider Electronic shutter which I am going to be using with a Cambo Ultima and eMotion22.  It did take a few months to arrive and there didn't seem to be a lot of familiarity with it by the distributors, but it does exist!
I was under the impression that the Eyelike Capture Pro software would operate the shutter remotely from the Mac, but I have now found out it does not support it with the e22. I'd guess that use with the Eyelike Precision range of DB's is supported in Capure Pro. Software development with Capture Pro has now stopped.
There is a software update (no release date) in the pipeline for Sinar Captureshop to support the shutter and it is also supposed to be supported in the new Sinar software I believe due in first Quarter of 2007. 
At the moment, to be able to use it I understand that I'd need to buy the Schneider controller which enables you to use the shutter without a Mac.
I don't know if the P25 software supports the shutter, but the future looks OK for eMotion users.
Anyway,  I can't give you feedback on using it ..yet.
The shutter does fit into the recessed lens board of Cambo Ultima23.
Hope this helps
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul Barker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:15:56 pm »

Mark, thanks for your positive thoughts. I don't have any specific questions, Really just looking for positive or negative feedback.

E_Edwards

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:30:06 pm »

I have 5 Rollei shutters with the Lens ControlS, they work just fine. Word of advice, don't use the Lens ControlS with rechageables, they don't last much and the batteries need to be recharged constantly.

I use the Rollei dummy battery to which you connnect a little 9V tranformer and run it off the mains.

Edward

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:12:39 pm »

Edward. I tried to connect a turbo 2x2 to run the controller and it did not work. Others have  told me it did and i used the suggested cord.  WIth the 9V transfer and dummy battery you need an outlet and that is not good for field shooting. I agree the battery life could be better especially at 130 dollars per battery
I have 5 Rollei shutters with the Lens ControlS, they work just fine. Word of advice, don't use the Lens ControlS with rechageables, they don't last much and the batteries need to be recharged constantly.

I use the Rollei dummy battery to which you connnect a little 9V tranformer and run it off the mains.

Edward
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:14:32 pm by MarkKay »
Pages: [1]   Go Up