Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF5000 profiling (Atkinson targets)  (Read 1719 times)

Dan Wells

Canon iPF5000 profiling (Atkinson targets)
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:43:24 pm »

I just tried building a profile for the iPF5000 using Bill Atkinson's 4096 patch target (my first profile with the huge target was for Canon Bright Satin paper through the plugin), and it DOES make a difference compared to the 918 patch target that ships with Eye-One Match. The Atkinson target adds some significant gamut in light colors in particular, with a noticeable additional richness in light yellows and peaches. It also reaches deeper into the deep blues than the conventional target does. Plotting the Atkinson profile against the 918 patch profile in ColorSync shows that the Atkinson profile has numerous modest increases in gamut. along with  some modest decreases. It makes sense that the wide-gamut Atkinson target would make a difference on a printer whose gamut is known to exceed Adobe RGB in some regions.
      It is possible to convince EyeOne Match to create a profile from a target other than the ones it ships with (although it won't read such a target). I used MeasureTool from ProfileMaker Pro, which is   operational in the free demo, to read the target. The trick to getting EyeOne Match to build the profile is to place the reference file in the folder with the reference files that ship with EyeOne Match, then rename it to exactly the same name as the 918 patch reference file (after having moved the original reference file somewhere safe-mine is in a folder named "original").
      This is definitely a pain (reading in the target in one program, then building the profile in another), plus the target takes about 45 minutes to read in - it's on 3 12x17 sheets! I'd say it's worth it, though - why do we bother with wide gamut printers if not to get the very best from them?
   I have also noted that ProPhoto RGB makes a difference on this printer - there are enough places where the printer gamut exceeds Adobe RGB that starting with ProPhoto source files matters...

-Dan

marcmccalmont

Canon iPF5000 profiling (Atkinson targets)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:58:39 pm »

With my 5D and iPF5000 I occasionally find a picture with a wider gamut also. I've been happy using DXO to output 2 files one with Joe Holmes Dcam3 and one with Dcam4 I then proof the gamut in PS and discard the file thats not needed. I've found it is most noticable in sunsets and orange flowers. I've been happy with Cathys profiles using her larger targets (not quite as big)
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up