Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Hahnemuehle profiles on Epson  (Read 8198 times)

dmccombs

Problem with Hahnemuehle profiles on Epson
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 10:41:40 am »

Tim,

Are the images still saturated using these settings, and are the colors accurate?

It sounds like the Luster profile is laying down less ink.  Some say that throws the color accuracy off, but if you are getting good results thats all that matters.

I will try your settings.  I want to at least be able to determine if I like this paper without investing in a custom profile.  With the Han profile/settings, I just cant tell yet.

Regards,
Darrell

I've been using Hahn FAP on a 3800 and after some experimentation they are looking terrific.

These are my settings:

Custom ICC profile
Media: Premium luster
Paper thickness: 0.4
Platen gap: wide
Print quality: 2880
Hi speed finest detail etc are off
Rendering intent: Rel. Colorimetric with black comp on

Contrary to Hahns guidlines I found a better lay down of ink with Premium Luster compared to the semi matte. I also found their canned profile too dark.

Interestingly I find I get far superior results when printing on FAP with a dpi of 2880. The darks get notably dotty/splodgy in appearance with 1440. I haven't seen this big a difference with other papers.

Cheers

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96965\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »

Tim,

Are the images still saturated using these settings, and are the colors accurate?

It sounds like the Luster profile is laying down less ink.  Some say that throws the color accuracy off, but if you are getting good results thats all that matters.

I will try your settings.  I want to at least be able to determine if I like this paper without investing in a custom profile.  With the Han profile/settings, I just cant tell yet.

Regards,
Darrell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=96983\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Saturation is good and colours are spot on. For what it's worth I didn't like this paper until I had a custom profile made but now I'm very happy with it
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:16:55 pm by timhurst »

dmccombs

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 11:13:24 am »

I have an update on the FineArt Pearl profile.

When I used the FineArt Pearl the dark areas were a bit muddy, and many the red-brown colors were got merged into on color.  red-brown areas that have details on the monitor and other papers/profiles became flat.

I purchased PrintFix Pro hoping the Hahn profile was the issue.  I did a Glossy profile as a warm, then went for the FAP profile.

The FAP profile turned out much better than Hahnemuhle's.   The muddiness in the shadow ares is gone, and the red-brown colors print out fine.

The Printfix package is supposed to be a good package but definetly not the very best, and this is only my 2nd profile.  How did Hahn put out a poor profile, that a newbie could best it, on the first try?  

I and others have wasted so much time and paper trying to get this paper/profile to work.  I am annoyed that Hahn wastes our time and paper with such a poor profile.

Maybe I should trade them my profile for a box of paper.  Mine box is almost empty now.    

I am in the middle of a big job right now, but I plan to make a profile for the Photo Rag and PhotoRag Bright soon.  The Hahn profiles for these papers are better than the FAP profiles, but still not great.

Regards,
Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Saturation is good and colours are spot on. For what it's worth I didn't like this paper until I had a custom profile made but now I'm very happy with it - in for a penny.....

Cheers

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=97006\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up