Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate Media Street!  (Read 3820 times)

Czechnat

I hate Media Street!
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:18:18 pm »

I've just spent over an hour trying to unclog my Epson 2200! And it isnt clean yet. Media Street bulk system simply sucks! I'm not married to bulk systems, though the idea is a good one.
Any alternatives to this system or Epson carts?

Mike

Peter McLennan

I hate Media Street!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:33:57 pm »

I've just spent over an hour trying to unclog my Epson 2200! And it isnt clean yet. Media Street bulk system simply sucks! I'm not married to bulk systems, though the idea is a good one.
Any alternatives to this system or Epson carts?

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not arguing with your regrettable luck with your ink system, but I do feel I have to say this:

I have an Epson 880 AND an Epson 1160 running four-ink MediaStreet CIS systems.  They've both been performing flawlessly since 2000, printing daily. I calculate that I've saved thousands in ink  costs.

As always, YMMV.

Peter McLennan

I hate Media Street!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 08:36:09 pm »

Also, my Epson 4800 clogs regularly and wastes ink ( the earth's most expensive liquid)

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
I hate Media Street!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:51:20 pm »

I offered a Media Street bulk system in a university computer lab setting for a few semesters and it saved tons of money, and worked mostly well--until it and the Epson 980 printer got old... Then it needed frequent cleaning and wasn't worth the hassle to maintain in that setting.

Of course there is the student factor to consider, but like Peter said, in a properly managed professional environment (ie, nobody else touches your stuff!), such a system should keep humming along and save lots of cash.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

cariarer

I hate Media Street!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:31:40 am »

I also have the media-street system on my Epson R800. It also clogs quite regulary. What I found is, that when it sits for a while, it doesn't seem to be so much the head itself that gets clogged, but the cardridges let in air.

If I have a "real" clog, on or two cleaning cycles fix the problem. If it gets worse with every cleaning run, I loosen all cardridges a bit and plug them back in. Again, after one or two cleaning cycles it works again. My suspicion is that the connection to the printer is not 100% tight. As long wet ink seals the connection, it works. If the ink dries, air gets in.

Maybe that helps the next time. In the meantime I only use my R800 to print invoices and print with my new IPF 5000  

Cheers, Marco...

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
I hate Media Street!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:04:50 pm »

Yes, that's right--we got air in the hoses routinely as well. Repeated cleanings eventually sucked the ink through, but it was not a practical way to work.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

jjlphoto

I hate Media Street!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 01:26:17 pm »

The original "sponged damper" CIS systems would eventually fail as those sponges would deteriorate and either break down and clog, of just clump up and stop inkflow alltogether. I have one of the newer "spongeless" varieties in another Epson printer running dye ink and so far, so good. Also, the third party pigment inks may be suspect for clogs, usually the yellow first.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
I hate Media Street!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34:29 pm »

I have used a Mediastreet system on 2 printers. On my 7600, i have had only minor clogging over the 3 years it has been in use, and simple head cleaning cylcles have been adequate to deal with this infrequent occurence.

On my 2200, however, clogging with the yellow head has been and ongoing problem, mainly because of infrequent use. Mediastreet claims the problem is the position of this head and notes it was changed in the 2400.

Are you having clogging on the yellow cart, or others as well?? There is some info on their website relating to this specific cart. Replacing the cart and all the tubings seemed to hel a lot.

The good reliability of their system on the 7600, the cost savings, and the long term reliability of the 7600 itself have led me use this printer for alomst all of my printing now.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up