Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800 Photo Rag Profile?  (Read 3388 times)

Barney444

3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:16:45 pm »

For those 3800 users that print B&W on photo rag paper (especially Hanemuhle), my question is: Which Epson setting is working best for you; 1) Enhanced matt, 2) Velvet, or 3) Archival Matt? What other changes are you making to your setttings. Ink flow, etc?

Thanks, Barney
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:17:17 pm by Barney444 »

jjlphoto

3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:35:57 pm »

Hahnemuhle has a Paper Handling Instructions as a PDF that recommends media settings based on what type of Hahnemuhle you are using. If you are using a thick Hahnemuhle stock, and select an Epson Media Selection that is also a thick stock, you are good to go. But if Hahnemuhle suggests using an Epson Media Selection of a paper thinner than what you are printing on, then I suggest going with the Custom Configuration, as the edges of that thick paper may hit the head as it passes over it and give you little black head contact specks on the very edges.

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/1014/epson.html

Hahnemule recommends Perceptual Rendering Intent with BPC unchecked, but try Rel and BPC checked to see for yourself. They have their 3800 profiles in the same as their 4800 profiles, so try them and see if they are indeed "cross machine" profiles. Hahnemuhle also has Photo Black ink and Matte Black ink profiles for the same art stocks so you can experiment.

For Crane Museo Silver Rag, I have made a Custom Configuration at the printer LCD panel. (doing it there allows you to run an alignment pattern and adjust) I set the gap to wide, the thickness to 5, ran the alignment page, selected 5 as the one that looked perfectly aligned, and left the other adjustments untouched. Then from my desktop, you can remotely access that panel by using the Print Set-up Utility, the selecting LFP Remote Panel, and selecting Media Adjustment, then Activate Custom Paper. You need to press the "Activate" button, not just select it. (This will then give you the same platten gap and thickness as Epson Ultra-Smooth Fine Art paper, I believe). I had to do this because I was using Crane Museo Silver Rag, and but that thick paper requires the thinner Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper Media Selection (Photo Black ink).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:40:33 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Barney444

3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:53:58 pm »

Thanks. That was helpful. I hope others will chime in too. Barney.

picnic

3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:12:45 pm »

Thanks. That was helpful. I hope others will chime in too. Barney.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, really helpful.  I'm expecting samples of those papers this week and just got my 3800 up and running this evening. so any epxeriences out of the norm are greatly welcomed.

diane

TylerB

• my photography
3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:24:12 pm »

Hahnemuhle has a Paper Handling Instructions as a PDF that recommends media settings based on what type of Hahnemuhle you are using...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

actually, the 3800 seems to be the only printer listed there with no handling instructions. This is somewhat critical for using profiles correctly. It's not really a hit or miss, try some stuff, deal.
For any profile to be appropriate, the exact settings used to make it need to be known.
I have a client having problems with this very profile- 3800, HPR308, and I'd bet this is the crux of it.
The profile otherwise looks ok in Colorthink, and except for some relcol blue problems the disappear with perceptual, it previews well too. But how to print with it???
Tyler

madmanchan

• Web
3800 Photo Rag Profile?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 11:16:30 am »

actually, the 3800 seems to be the only printer listed there with no handling instructions. This is somewhat critical for using profiles correctly. It's not really a hit or miss, try some stuff, deal.
For any profile to be appropriate, the exact settings used to make it need to be known.
I have a client having problems with this very profile- 3800, HPR308, and I'd bet this is the crux of it.
The profile otherwise looks ok in Colorthink, and except for some relcol blue problems the disappear with perceptual, it previews well too. But how to print with it???
Tyler
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I recommend using the Velvet Fine Art Media Type when printing on the Photo Rag with the 3800, for both ABW mode and RGB mode. For ABW mode, I suggest setting the Tone curve to Normal.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up