Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800 Print Disaster  (Read 2987 times)

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
3800 Print Disaster
« on: December 12, 2006, 06:11:49 pm »

This morning I finally got some paper for my new Epson 3800 printer - I have scraps, but nothing that would enable me to assess the quality of prints that I would like to make. My chosen paper was DaVinci FibreGloss 300GSM, also sold under the PermaJet and Innova brand.

I should have realised that I was going to have problems when I pulled out an A4 sheet and it curled up on either side.

I did reverse-roll the paper to flatten it.

I even ironed it after the first paper jam - not good for paper, iron or printer. But the only way to get it flatter.

The second paper jam nearly ripped the printer head off and caused terrible wrenching sounds in the printer - even after exhaustively trying to flatten the paper. Net result was error messages on printer and instructions to call service technician (this is only after 10 or so prints - 2 with this paper).

1/ Does anyone know how to get this paper flat enough to put through a sheet feed printer reliably and without risk of causing damage?

2/ Would seriously warn people not to use this paper with the 3800 printer as the paper will curl even after being flattened and is liable to curl mid way through a print job seriously increasing the risk of damaging your printer.

Switched printer on and off and things SEEM to be alright, but wouldn't touch this paper with a barge pole.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

jjlphoto

3800 Print Disaster
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 06:26:37 pm »

My experience with Innova FibaPrint F-Type Gloss in Briliant White is that when it came out of the envelope, it laid very flat. The Crane Museo Silver Rag nd a bit of corl at the very edges, and it picked uyp a bit of inks as mentioned in my post about platten gap, and the issue was solved by creating the custom paper handling configuration.  Are you inserting the Da Vinci sheet into only the manual feed tray under the auto-feed tray?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:28:50 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
3800 Print Disaster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:19:17 pm »

My experience with Innova FibaPrint F-Type Gloss in Briliant White is that when it came out of the envelope, it laid very flat. The Crane Museo Silver Rag nd a bit of corl at the very edges, and it picked uyp a bit of inks as mentioned in my post about platten gap, and the issue was solved by creating the custom paper handling configuration.  Are you inserting the Da Vinci sheet into only the manual feed tray under the auto-feed tray?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90153\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Been putting it into the auto-feed tray. Thanks for the heads up that it was covered in the platten posts - been busy of late and not had time to read all the posts.

The prime problem that I see with this paper is the way it has been cut from the roll. If you insert the paper short end first (not sure if you can do a long end first print?) then the paper curls side to side. Therefore, the paper lifts at the edges and strikes the print head. If the paper had been cut so that the curl was front to back when inserted short end first then the paper would lie flat in the axis of the print head direction and the risk of a head strike would be minimised.

Now, call me stupid - but wouldn't a competent paper manufacturer know to cut the paper such that when it is inserted short end first it should lift at the front and back (if it did curly) rather than side to side?

The paper is nice - from the limited amount of printing I did manage to obtain - but the manufacturing quality of the edges and the inherent curl makes it unsuable. I also had a private message from someone who also had problems with this paper and came a cross a blog with the same experience. So at least I don't feel that I am alone with this problem.

If you pay so much for a paper then it should lie flat, not have rough edges and be a high quality product - or am I expecting too much?
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

jjlphoto

3800 Print Disaster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:16:12 pm »

I had some Hahnemuhle like that a while back. I returned it. I guess when it is sent to the paper converted for cutting, the paper from the inner most part of the roll will have the more severe curl, and sometimes it will not come out. It is a drag that the curl is the short way, must have been what was wrong with my Crane, but not so severe as the custom config handled it fine. If it really does seem bad, return the paper for a replacement/refund.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP
Pages: [1]   Go Up