Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk ink system  (Read 6419 times)

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:58:25 am »

I've been using the Media Street bulk ink system for my Epson 2200 for almost a year. Everytime I go to print, I spend up to an hour unclogging it. I've been reluctant to trash it due to the investment, but at this point I want it out! I like the idea of a bulk system so I'd like to find a better one.
Any suggestions or advice?

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:06:03 am »

I've been using the Media Street bulk ink system for my Epson 2200 for almost a year. Everytime I go to print, I spend up to an hour unclogging it. I've been reluctant to trash it due to the investment, but at this point I want it out! I like the idea of a bulk system so I'd like to find a better one.
Any suggestions or advice?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Given your previous experience with a bulk ink system, why would you want to pursue this type of system any further? Just get a printer with bigger ink tanks like a Stylus Pro 3800 or 4800.

My $.02

-eric-

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:16:04 am »

Given your previous experience with a bulk ink system, why would you want to pursue this type of system any further? Just get a printer with bigger ink tanks like a Stylus Pro 3800 or 4800.

My $.02

-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90046\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right on.  Professional fine art printers do not use bulk ink in my experience.
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 11:10:44 am »

Right on.  Professional fine art printers do not use bulk ink in my experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:29 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why's that?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 11:35:18 am »

I used a well-regarded third-party ink (refillable carts, not a CFS) in my 2200 for about a year and had to deal with ink clogs from time to time, especially if I didn't print for a week or two. I eventually went back to the expensive route of buying only Epson cartridges, and I haven't had a significant clog in the past year-and-a-half. Last spring I was away in Italy for six weeks; and when I got back, a couple of cleaning cycles got it back working fine. I haven't had a single clog since.

The one thing I have considered (but haven't tried yet) is buying the big, 220 ml cartridges made for the big Epson (K2) printers (the 4000 and 9600) and chopping them open to refill my refillable cartridges. B&H is selling the big cartridges for about $85 at the moment.

Just one more possibility to consider.

I do find it hard to picture Alain taking the time to chop open big carts to refill little ones.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

Bulk ink system
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:52:47 am »

Why's that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you're selling your prints, then cost of "genuine" Epson/Canon/HP inks can be factored-in . Color stability as well as longevity of the inks and how they react with papers is often unknow with these inks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:53:26 am by francois »
Francois

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 12:09:23 pm »

If you're selling your prints, then cost of "genuine" Epson/Canon/HP inks can be factored-in . Color stability as well as longevity of the inks and how they react with papers is often unknow with these inks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been using MIS inks in my 1280(dedicated to B&W) So far so good. No clogs. My next step was to try their bulk system. MIS inks, dyes etc are supposed to be chemicaly similar to Epsons.
I suppose that's why no clogs. Eric M mentioned refillable carts. Are they any good and if so any downsides. I'm not oppsed to Epson inks, just trying to cut costs a little.

Mike

Richowens

Bulk ink system
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 12:23:18 pm »

Mike,

I went the aftermarket inks route trying to save a few bucks. I spent more in time and paper than I was saving in ink. I know they work just fine for some people, but for me it wasn't worth the time and headache.
Another problem was the color was all over the place from one cartridge to the next.

Just factor in the cost and print happily everafter  

Rich

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:04:31 pm »

Mike,

I went the aftermarket inks route trying to save a few bucks. I spent more in time and paper than I was saving in ink. I know they work just fine for some people, but for me it wasn't worth the time and headache.
Another problem was the color was all over the place from one cartridge to the next.

Just factor in the cost and print happily everafter   
Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Any other comments? I've read some stuff on 3rd party inks, MIS and Lumajet(?). I'd like to know if anyone has used these and if the've used carts, refill carts, or bulk.

Mike

Eric Myrvaagnes

Bulk ink system
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:36:09 pm »

Any other comments? I've read some stuff on 3rd party inks, MIS and Lumajet(?). I'd like to know if anyone has used these and if the've used carts, refill carts, or bulk.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've used the MIS refillable carts and they worked fine for me (except for the moderate clogging after a couple of weeks with no printing.) One of the biggest reasons I stopped using them was the time and effort (and mess) involved when refilling them. I figure my time is worth something, so the savings in ink costs isn't as much if you figure a dollar value on your time (filling the carts and cleaning up the mess afterward.)

I think it's very much a matter of personal preference.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 01:30:32 pm »

I have used a Mediastreet system on 2 printers.  On my 7600, i have had only minor clogging over the 3 years it has been in use, and simple head cleaning cylcles have been adequate to deal with this infrequent occurence.

On my 2200, however, clogging with the yellow head has been and ongoing problem, mainly because of infrequent use.  Mediastreet claims the problem is the position of this head and notes it was changed in the 2400.  

Are you having clogging on the yellow cart, or others as well??  There is some info on their website relating to this specific cart.  Replacing the cart and all the tubings seemed to hel a lot.

The good reliability of their system on the 7600, the cost savings, and the long term reliability of the 7600 itself have led me use this printer for alomst all of my printing now.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Czechnat

Bulk ink system
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 03:15:02 pm »

I have used a Mediastreet system on 2 printers.  On my 7600, i have had only minor clogging over the 3 years it has been in use, and simple head cleaning cylcles have been adequate to deal with this infrequent occurence.

On my 2200, however, clogging with the yellow head has been and ongoing problem, mainly because of infrequent use.  Mediastreet claims the problem is the position of this head and notes it was changed in the 2400. 

Are you having clogging on the yellow cart, or others as well??  There is some info on their website relating to this specific cart.  Replacing the cart and all the tubings seemed to hel a lot.

The good reliability of their system on the 7600, the cost savings, and the long term reliability of the 7600 itself have led me use this printer for alomst all of my printing now.

MDIJB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The clogging was mainly with the 2 magentas, yellow sometimes and also black sometimes. This has been ongoing. As mentioned before, I've kept the system because of the investment in it.
I've figured after a year of use it's paid for itself because of not having to buy carts. So I'm ok decomissioning it. That and the amount of paper wasted. I know others who had OK experiances with it. But for me it's been nothing but trouble. Headcleaning was the paper towel in the track with windex because after 3 headcleaning cycles it was still clogged.
Thanks for your feedback, but it's time to change systems.

drwillie

Bulk ink system
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 06:37:47 am »

The clogging was mainly with the 2 magentas, yellow sometimes and also black sometimes. This has been ongoing. As mentioned before, I've kept the system because of the investment in it.
I've figured after a year of use it's paid for itself because of not having to buy carts. So I'm ok decomissioning it. That and the amount of paper wasted. I know others who had OK experiances with it. But for me it's been nothing but trouble. Headcleaning was the paper towel in the track with windex because after 3 headcleaning cycles it was still clogged.
Thanks for your feedback, but it's time to change systems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used to have a 2200 and was using the Media Street system, too.  The problem was with the spong-filled cartridge design, which served to restrict the ink flow.  Later systems have used spongless cartridges, which I think have helped fix the ink flow problem.  I am a new user to refillable cartridges with the Epson 4000 and I am using MIS Pro ink and I have experienced no problems, yet.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 07:55:30 am »

I use a 2100 with a Lyson CIS.

The CIS is very heath-robinson and is now held in place with duct tape - whilst it's not attractive, the support bar that holds the tubes had a habit of pulling off and I hate to think of the mess had it ever become caught under the print head.

Overall though, I'm very happy with the system - rarely do I suffer clogs and they are always sorted with one cleaning cycle.  In addition, I find the print quality to be higher than with the Epson inks.  Tech support are nothing short of brilliant and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the system - on the proviso that it is well secured.  My only problem with it is that it is a complete PITA to move the printer now.

Charly

Island Design

• http://www.islanddesign.com
Bulk ink system
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 02:52:39 am »

In  my limited experience, in general the cheaper CIS aftermarket solutions seem to work ok if you use the printer continuously or with long runs (e.g. a couple hundred prints at once) but for a few prints a day or if there are days where the printer is unused tend to clog more than the OEM ink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up