Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 24mm TS can work on a MF camera  (Read 6114 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
canon 24mm TS can work on a MF camera
« on: December 12, 2006, 02:34:11 am »

hello

Tot you guys would like to know this. If you remove the shiftting part of the lens, you can use the lens on a MF camera. IT covers almost full 645, with just a bit of vignetting on the sides.

This is due to the rear element being very recessed inside the lens.
I only held the lens to the camera with my hand, I think it is possible to make an adapter, but it will have to be very thin not to use infinity focus.

Are there any other lens out there with a recessed rear element ?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 03:36:44 am »

I think there are quite a few lenses that can be used. With the current MFDB's and especially the ones with cropped sensor (43x36) it is very feasible to use 35mm lenses. I am not sure whether the fact the rear element is far recessed is a factor, image circle is one for sure. Some 35mm lenses have quite big image circles (for 35mm).

I use a couple of these cameras with Nikon F-Mount lenses. By now I know which lenses have what kind of image circle.

What is also funny is that now I start to realize why some lenses used to be better or worse in the corners on my 35mm systems  

I use these lenses that cover the 43x36; 28/3.5 shift, 85/2.8PC, Zeis Planar 50/1.4, Zeis Planar 85/1.4, 24/2.0.

Lenses that do not cover this area or give unacceptable distortion are: 35/2.0, 20/3.5

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:53 am »

which 24/2.0 you are using? is it sharp at the edges?
 the 24tse should not make much sense, what i saw from this lense is a lot of distortion and very unsharp edges if shifted.... so whatfor to use it on a big sensor?
same for the 28/3,5pc nikkor or the 28/2,8 schneider. maybe the olympus 24 might be from interest, but it has significant much ca.
sure the zeiss 85 + 50/1,4 would interest me for its dof if used open.

what would interest me most would be  a good copy of a sigma 12-24. if you remove inside the lense the plastic tubus at its end it covers from 16mm to 24mm the mf sensor size. this lense can be very good, if you are patient enough to try 3 or 4 samples. the variation is incredible big. distortion is ultra low and at f11 there are samples which are tack sharp at the edges....

you use copal3. who makes an adapter for which camera?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 07:07:30 pm by rehnniar »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:37:41 am »

I use the AIS 24/2.0 and it is better than expected at the edges. On a 43x31 sensor only the extreme corners suffer from vignetting. So you do have to crop some of the edges. But don't forget, a 24 meant for 24x36 is something like the equivalent of a 20 on 43x31.

The Zeiss lenses do cover the complete 43x31 and have enormous resolution capabilities. They not only excel wide open but especially around 5,6 to 11 you are rewarded with excellent quality. Details are suddenly visible that would have been gone using other lenses.

Actually the Nikon 28/3.5 Shift is not that bad, albeit not excellent. I had to use it a couple of days ago and the thing wasn't half as bad as I remembered. It doesn't distort a lot but is only sharp in the range f8 to f11.

The Canon 24 is a POS, with a lot of distortion. I would not touch it with a 10ft pole.

The 85PC is very very nice but I currently have an issue with it with a weird hotspot and lightring.

I use the Kapturegroup Truewide. This has a copal3 attached to it. The connector towards the Nikon F-Mount is made by placing a PK11 macro ring inside the Copal3 and fix that with 4  4-40 Nylon tipped 0,05" Hex Allen bolts.

They probably can make something custom if you ask them. I found them very helpful and friendly.

The Sigma would be nice to try eventually as well as would be the AIS 15/3.5 rectilinear. Do expect weird things when trying stuff like this.

I have a 35/2.0 which covers the sensor size but I have never seen distortion like that. It is like the image is wrapped around a ball or something.

I am currently waiting for the new Zeis 25/2.0 and 35/2.0. If they have the same sort of image circle and performance as the 50 and 85 I will be very very happy.

Lenses that are on my list of testing: the Schneider 28 shift (because many tell me this is way better than the Nikon version), the 15/3,5, the 20/4.0, the 28/2.0 (allegedly one of the sharpest Nikon lenses) and naturaly the 17-35 (which is not a G-version).

Next to that I am testing the Hassie V lenses against these to see what the differences are.

That is one of the advantages of having a sensor that you can put on more than one machine. Sofar I have been less than impressed with the Hassie lenses. I know not to expect that much of the 150/4.0 Sonnar but sofar the CFi 100/3.5 isn't that fantastic either (in its defense, I have not yet had the opportunity to really put it to the test).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:42:46 am by Dustbak »

Ray

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:50:31 am »

In my experience, the Canon 24 TS-E is not good enough for full frame 35mm, but performs quite well on a 20D and similar cropped format when using shift. If you do not use shift, then of course it's fairly acceptable on full frame 35mm, but not brilliant.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:31:37 pm »

the schneider 28pc isnt sharp at the edges if shifted more than 6mm, also it shows a lot of distortion, even more than the nikon 28/3,5. center sharpness and contrast are very good, but thats alll.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 02:19:20 pm »

When that is the case, I will certainly sell the thing pretty fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up