Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading - should I go powershot d7 or dslr?  (Read 3637 times)

the rocker

upgrading - should I go powershot d7 or dslr?
« on: December 11, 2006, 07:53:24 pm »

First post (better than last post I suppose!)

I'm looking to get a new digital camera. Most of my shooting is likely to be fairly general with an amount of abstract architecture, landscapes etc (nothing to heavy). I also like to shoot in/outdoor rock concerts and sporting eventse..the issue here is that in the UK they promoters have stopped allowing in cameras..

The last key things are that I want manual control and an optical view finder..I want to get a bit creativenot just p&s (have never used raw so probably won't miss what I've never used).

What I want advice on is would the powershot G7 give me the necessary creativity and does it take filters? I think its small enough to "smuggle" in to gigs..wheras a DSLR obviously isn't.

I like the idea of stability control so am looking at the Sony Alpha100 or if I could afford it the Pentax k100 or preferably K10d...

How close from an image perspective am i likely to get to the DSLR's with the G7?

Should I forgo the expandability of thre slr for the convenience of the G7 and or is there another alternativeb that I've missed??

Any help or advice will be gratefully received.

howiesmith

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:01:53 pm »

I think its small enough to "smuggle" in to gigs..wheras a DSLR obviously isn't.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you are putting yourself above the promoter where cameras are not allowed.  Do you know best?  Have you considered you may be stealing?

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 08:07:32 pm »

Have you checked out Michaels review of the G7 on the front page?

One thing to consider about the G7 for the concert thing is that they dropped the swivel lcd with the 7.  Might make it more obvious to a bouncer.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:10 pm »

Concert shooting is not my field, but the few times I tried I ended shooting at f2.8 - f4 with 800 ISO.

That's not the sweet spot for the G7 IMHO.

Regards,
Bernard

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:29:45 pm »

Fujifilm Finepix F30 might be the answer then.

the rocker

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 04:35:25 am »

Re the theft, and undermining the promoter - I'm not looking to sell any images, just create memories.

I used to use a film slr, using 400 film pushed to 800 which worked very well, is this possible with a digital?

howiesmith

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:40:04 am »

Re the theft, and undermining the promoter - I'm not looking to sell any images, just create memories.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90021\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In some places, using hidden cameras to photograph people without their consent, may invite criminal or civil penalties.   A photograph may intrude into a persons seclusion without being published. Intrusion can occur as soon as the image is taken.  Don't forget, you are on private property and do not have permission to take photos, regardless of their intended use.  In fact, permission may be expressly denied (no cameras allowed).  You may want to check with an attorney or get written permission first.

At any rate, I suggest a small and cheap camera as the bouncer(s) may do unspeakable things to you and/or your camera if caught.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:41:26 am by howiesmith »

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 12:48:21 pm »

Howie - it all comes so close to copyright theft, doesn't it? I think that whether the stolen images are for resale or not, they are still stolen; a camera up the orifice might teach a salutory lesson or two...

Rob C

howiesmith

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:14 pm »

Howie - it all comes so close to copyright theft, doesn't it? I think that whether the stolen images are for resale or not, they are still stolen; a camera up the orifice might teach a salutory lesson or two...

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90085\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Copy right theft?  Theft of identy or property?  Invasion of privicy?  Tresspassing?

I'm not sure what it is, but it just doesn't smell ethical.  Anytime you need to smuggle something into a venue that is specifically banned by that venue, you are, in my opinion, skating on thin ethical ice.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 03:46:27 am »

Optical view finder requires a DSLR.

Available light only, no flash, indoor shooting also requires a DSLR if you want decent results.

Smuggling a camera into an event where cameras are prohibited is a real bad idea. I used to work with a concert promoter as the official photographer for his events, and I still had issues on a couple of occasions with lawyer types representing some of the talent. You're probably going to get your camera confiscated, and may face legal action as well if caught.
Pages: [1]   Go Up