Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable External Hard Drives  (Read 16065 times)

Ray

Portable External Hard Drives
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2006, 08:29:30 pm »

I've just returned from a 3 month trip. I took with me a LaCie 100GB mobile drive that is powered from the USB port of my lightweight Dell laptop, plus 50 blank DVD discs. The idea was that all images whould be duplicated in case I lost, or had stolen, either the laptop or portable drive.

The LaCie mobile drive (or similar) seems by far the lightest and most compact option if you are taking a laptop too. On my next trip, I'd prefer to take 2 of these mobile drives and not bother with the DVDs, but of course the initial outlay for a mobile drive is more expensive than the equivalent amount of storage on DVD. However an advantage of recording to DVD whilst you are travelling is that those discs can then become your permanent duplicate copy of your images which will presumably also be transferred to another hard drive on your return.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2006, 08:42:57 pm »

However an advantage of recording to DVD whilst you are travelling is that those discs can then become your permanent duplicate copy of your images which will presumably also be transferred to another hard drive on your return.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would suggest NOT taking this for granted. A senior technical advisor working for a very large international corporation in the I.T. systems field advised us during a photography workshop this past summer that unless you are using DVD-RAM discs, permanence is anything but assured after several years. I can't be more specific than this, but I'm taking that advice seriously. I've also had a considerable number of fatal CRC errors with recorded DVDs.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ray

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 04:32:41 am »

I would suggest NOT taking this for granted. A senior technical advisor working for a very large international corporation in the I.T. systems field advised us during a photography workshop this past summer that unless you are using DVD-RAM discs, permanence is anything but assured after several years. I can't be more specific than this, but I'm taking that advice seriously. I've also had a considerable number of fatal CRC errors with recorded DVDs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92220\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fair enough, Mark. I haven't yet experienced such issues as 'bit rot' or oxidation of layers so I'm not at all paranoid about it, though I admit it could happen.

For this reason, I gradually transfer images to the new medium as it becomes established. Stuff I recorded 10 years ago on CD has now been re-recorded on DVD. Eventually, when Blu-ray technology matures, everything I now have on DVD (which will also exist on LaCie Big Disks) will be transferred to 20 or 50gb BD.

I'm not worried   .

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 10:20:13 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I was sent an article that basically said the same thing about these issues. In the article, the author highly recommended these:

[a href=\"http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-plus-r-media.html]http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...us-r-media.html[/url]
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ray

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 07:07:48 pm »

Yes I was sent an article that basically said the same thing about these issues. In the article, the author highly recommended these:

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden...us-r-media.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=92254\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From the same web site you refer to, Andrew, is the following comment on Blu-ray disks:-

BD-R (write-once type) and BD-RE (rewritable type) Blu-ray Discs.
There are 4 new products of Blu-Ray Disc: BD-R25 (single-side, single-layer, 25GB), BD-R50 (single-side, dual-layer, 50GB), BD-RE: BD-RE25 (single-side, single-layer, 25GB) and BD-RE50 (single-side, dual-layer, 50GB).
The Blu-Ray BD-R write-once type, makes use of an inorganic material in the recording layer, entirely different from the organic dye used in previous types of write-once type discs. Because the recording layer is not affected by light, it realizes a disc with outstanding archivability. Furthermore, the Blu-Ray BD-RE rewritable type utilizes a high-sensitivity phase-change material that realizes stabilized characteristics, in the form of a low error rate, even after 10,000 overwrites.

It's often difficult to distinguish between optimism, advertising hype and the facts. It has now been widely published that these optical storage systems are not as permanent as they were intially advertised as being, but as with many things in life, there's often an over-reaction. I've had the experience myself, upon finding a disc that used to play, then later failed to play on one particular system, of automatically assuming that the disc was physically deteriorating and that this was the cause of it's apparent non-playability.

Fortunately, I don't have a single disc, CD or DVD, out of the thousands I've recorded, that I know for certain was initially playable (recorded successfully), and that is now unplayable on all my computer systems.

If I ever come across a situation, in the years ahead, where some older images I've transferred to Blu-ray have become unreadable, and the same images previously recorded on a DVD disc have also become unreadable, and again those same images initially recorded on CD have become unreadable, I'll let you know   .

mwerbe

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 07:20:01 pm »

Take a look at the little big disk from lacie if portability and speed is more important than price. Two 2.5 inch drives in one case, very cool!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up