Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 Printed Image Size - Top Feed  (Read 3506 times)

Tom H

iPF5000 Printed Image Size - Top Feed
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:10:28 pm »

I wasn't able to locate this particular subject on the forum.

You cannot feed single sheets from the top tray and print the exact image size to scale and centered on the sheet.  Canon states the feed path for the cassette, the roll and the single sheet is exactly the same.  Example:  An image 15” W x 20” L will print centered and to exact size on a 17 x 22 sheet via the cassette and on a roll feeding from the top tray area.  It will not print to exact size nor will it be centered when feeding a 17 x 22 single sheet from the top tray area.  This appears to be a software issue to me.  While on the software subject, it would be nice to control the printer via software alone vs. setting up the software and then making sure you push the correct buttons on the printer for paper type, feed location, etc.  It is as though Canon wants you to use a roll only.  No cassette and no single sheets.

Should you wish to print on canvas type media that must per Canon feed from the top, Canon’s advice is to purchase a roll but not single sheets.  Any suggestion other than those offered by Canon?

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 10:29:23 pm »

I would recommend asking on the Wiki discussion forum, accessible as a link from the Main page:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

I haven't done any printing from the tray yet, so can't help you, but perhaps there are some other folks there who can.

--John

naisan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:24:32 am »

I would recommend asking on the Wiki discussion forum, accessible as a link from the Main page:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

I haven't done any printing from the tray yet, so can't help you, but perhaps there are some other folks there who can.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm active on the wiki, but feeling more and more at home here too ;-)

Can you give some more descriptions around what you're seeing?  

I have noted, when using the tray (top paper feeder) with cit sheets that the centered option gives some strange results with the CS2 Plug-in - scaling sometimes, image cropping at others. Still haven't isolated exactly which settings together yield best results.

John suggested at least 1" margins in a discussion on the wiki, and so far scaling images to that and using the centered options has worked very nicely.

Naisan

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:43:48 pm »

I'm active on the wiki, but feeling more and more at home here too ;-)

Can you give some more descriptions around what you're seeing? 

I have noted, when using the tray (top paper feeder) with cit sheets that the centered option gives some strange results with the CS2 Plug-in - scaling sometimes, image cropping at others. Still haven't isolated exactly which settings together yield best results.

John suggested at least 1" margins in a discussion on the wiki, and so far scaling images to that and using the centered options has worked very nicely.

Naisan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For Example: I have a standard image size of 15.5" x 20.75" for matting and framing.  I never scale.  I always print to the actual image size.  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from what Canon calls the cassette, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I use the roll paper from the top tray area, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from the top tray area, it will not print to the image size.  Canon tech support states that's the way it is.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 12:29:22 pm »

My experience also with the ipf5000.  I can't print the full image with borders less than a couple of inches for some reason.  I can't remember the exact size of the border, but the printer crops the image to a standard default border.  Only option is to scale down within that border size.  As a result I don't use the top tray much.  I'd forgtten about this "problem" until you posted this topic.  Since it prints fine from the cassette or from the roll, I don't find it a major issue, but Canon needs to fix it.

For Example: I have a standard image size of 15.5" x 20.75" for matting and framing.  I never scale.  I always print to the actual image size.  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from what Canon calls the cassette, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I use the roll paper from the top tray area, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from the top tray area, it will not print to the image size.  Canon tech support states that's the way it is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 01:25:25 pm »

For Example: I have a standard image size of 15.5" x 20.75" for matting and framing.  I never scale.  I always print to the actual image size.  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from what Canon calls the cassette, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I use the roll paper from the top tray area, it will print the image size of 15.5" x 20.75".  If I feed a 17" x 22" sheet from the top tray area, it will not print to the image size.  Canon tech support states that's the way it is.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think this is related to the minimum bottom border size when printing from the tray (0.9 inches).  If it is a different issue, need to put an entry in the FAQ.  What happens if you try to print from the top tray with an image size of 20 inces by 15 inches (but not saying this is an acceptable solution to your problem)?  My guess is that it would work fine if margin is one inch or greater.

--John

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:02:08 pm »

I think this is related to the minimum bottom border size when printing from the tray (0.9 inches).  If it is a different issue, need to put an entry in the FAQ.  What happens if you try to print from the top tray with an image size of 20 inces by 15 inches (but not saying this is an acceptable solution to your problem)?  My guess is that it would work fine if margin is one inch or greater.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the same problem with smaller images on large paper.  Top tray single sheet feed and they would not center or print to the image size.  I reconfirmed this problem again with Canon tech support a couple of days ago.  The tech confirmed it was a known problem and suggested I might possibly try to treat the top sheet feed as a manual size vs. a stock size and see if that would work.  I have not tried this yet as I believe that should be Canon's responsibility and not mine.  As stated previously, I know of two paper feed paths that do work and continue to believe this is a software issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up