Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipf 5000: What about Canon's own papers?  (Read 5589 times)

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
Ipf 5000: What about Canon's own papers?
« on: December 10, 2006, 09:52:40 pm »

I searched the site & didn't find anyone choosing to use Canon's own papers for fine-art printing on the Ipf 5000.  I've begun with EEM & HPR, because I have plenty on hand; but I wonder about the papers that Canon makes/markets/repackages themselves.  

The Wiki reproduces the table of Canon's many papers & surfaces, & InkjetArt's website lists two Canon 'fine art' papers as available from them: Canon Fine Art Enhanced Velvet, in 13x19" sheets; & Canon Photo Rag 308, in 17"x40' rolls.  (Also some canvas, ugh.)  They're listed as ProGraf papers, but does that mean they were made with Lucia pigment inks in mind, or earlier dyes?  

I wonder if the Enhanced Velvet is like Epson's VFA, which is truly a fine paper if you like texture?  And I wonder if the Photo Rag is a brother, sister, or cousin to Hahnemuele - which happens to sell for the same price?  Is Canon Premium Matte paper better/worse than EEM on the 5000?  (Price seems to be about the same.)  

Or does everyone but me know there's a plague or virus in Canon's papers that keeps healthy photographers from using them?

Gary Damaskos

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:05:06 pm »

I believe the Canon papers were slow to be released, following the printer by months. In June I could not find any to buy, so used Epson. It most likely is just a matter of time before reports will be shared about the Canon papers now that some are available and some of us will need to restock and then try some of them.
Gary

I searched the site & didn't find anyone choosing to use Canon's own papers for fine-art printing on the Ipf 5000.  I've begun with EEM & HPR, because I have plenty on hand; but I wonder about the papers that Canon makes/markets/repackages themselves. 

The Wiki reproduces the table of Canon's many papers & surfaces, & InkjetArt's website lists two Canon 'fine art' papers as available from them: Canon Fine Art Enhanced Velvet, in 13x19" sheets; & Canon Photo Rag 308, in 17"x40' rolls.  (Also some canvas, ugh.)  They're listed as ProGraf papers, but does that mean they were made with Lucia pigment inks in mind, or earlier dyes? 

I wonder if the Enhanced Velvet is like Epson's VFA, which is truly a fine paper if you like texture?  And I wonder if the Photo Rag is a brother, sister, or cousin to Hahnemuele - which happens to sell for the same price?  Is Canon Premium Matte paper better/worse than EEM on the 5000?  (Price seems to be about the same.) 

Or does everyone but me know there's a plague or virus in Canon's papers that keeps healthy photographers from using them?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Avalan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:46:00 am »

I have tried some Canon papers.
"Canon Fine Art Bright white"and "Canon Fine Art natural" are the lowest price ones.
they are 230gsm /14mil /not acid free, and available in sheets and roll."Fine Art bright white" also comes in a thicker version : 330gsm/20mil. They are all flat matte.
"Canon Fine Art enhanced Velvet" comes in 3 thicknesses: 225gsm/14mil - 255gsm/21mil  -  505gsm/40mil  and all 100%cotton/acid free.It's a nice matte paper with a little texture.( I have not tried the thickest one)"Epson Velvet Fine Art"has a higher quality. It's 260gsm/19 mil and more expensive.
I have got "Canon Fine Art water resistant Canvas" too but no prints yet.If I found anything interesting about it I will post."Canon Fine Art Photo Rag 308gsm" is made by Hahnemule and is in back order.

You may find some information about Canon papers in"consumables" in their website.The information I found is minor (and maybe I have missed it.)

Are they any good?
Like everything else it depends on your expectation of quality and the price.I have use for all of them .
   And price : I'm getting Canon Papers thru the local Canon  dealer and happy with the prices and services. I did not have the same experience with other local paper resellers, although it's just a personal experience.

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:46:40 pm »

I've found an answer to the most pressing part of my question:  As Avalan said, Canon's Photo Rag is simply Hahnemuele's.

I talked to the buyer for a quality dealer, & she said the Canon rep had told her Hahnemuele was the source for Canon's Photo Rag.  She asked if Canon had asked for a 'special sauce' for the coating, & the rep didn't have any info.  So she declined to handle the Canon version because her customers are accustomed to HPR, she & they have it in stock, & the price is comparable.

So: Settings for HPR are most likely just the same as for Canon's own Photo Rag.

Now it would be nice to know where the other Canon papers come from.  

Kirk

filip baraka

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:09:29 pm »

Today I recived Canon Extra Smooth Art Paper 250gsm and Canon Photo Pearl 260gsm, later is definetly not H FPA;) but is quite nice, comes in 30mtr roll so I will probably use it for everyday work

I haven't still tried extra smooth but it has very nice surface and something tells me that this is more or less same as epsons. price was around 100$ for 12mtrs

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:18:41 pm »

I searched the site & didn't find anyone choosing to use Canon's own papers for fine-art printing on the Ipf 5000.  I've begun with EEM & HPR, because I have plenty on hand; but I wonder about the papers that Canon makes/markets/repackages themselves. 

The Wiki reproduces the table of Canon's many papers & surfaces, & InkjetArt's website lists two Canon 'fine art' papers as available from them: Canon Fine Art Enhanced Velvet, in 13x19" sheets; & Canon Photo Rag 308, in 17"x40' rolls.  (Also some canvas, ugh.)  They're listed as ProGraf papers, but does that mean they were made with Lucia pigment inks in mind, or earlier dyes? 

I wonder if the Enhanced Velvet is like Epson's VFA, which is truly a fine paper if you like texture?  And I wonder if the Photo Rag is a brother, sister, or cousin to Hahnemuele - which happens to sell for the same price?  Is Canon Premium Matte paper better/worse than EEM on the 5000?  (Price seems to be about the same.) 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,
It has been well documted on the web for at least six months that Canon Photo Rag 308 was made by Hahnamuela.

Martin Mitchell
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.

Avalan

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:52:30 pm »

Today I got an e-mail from the Canon local dealership that "Canon's Photo Rag" paper which was in backorder , Has been officially discontinued and is no longer available.

O'Archie

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 02:29:58 am »

I suppose we will just have to buy Hahnemuele's version....ooops, they were the once supplying Canon.

Today I got an e-mail from the Canon local dealership that "Canon's Photo Rag" paper which was in backorder , Has been officially discontinued and is no longer available.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

PJPhoto

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 12:10:25 pm »

Was a Fry's this AM and found that Canon has a Digital Art Paper Variety Pack.
5 sheets each of:

Museum Etching 350g/m2
Photo Rag 188g/m2
Premium Matt 210 g/m2
Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss 260g/m2

A3+ size for $49.99. Part # DAP-101. It will be interesting to try these out.

It would seem that the reported demise of Canon's Photo Rag may have premature since these are new packs of paper unless this is a different paper than previously listed.

Thanks!
Philip

Avalan

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 02:06:07 pm »

Hi pjphoto
The notification I got from the local Canon deallership about discontinuation of one  of thier papers is ONLY about the following paper:

Canon Fine Art Photo Rag - 308gsm (Roll-17"x39')  Item# 08500V746

Canon has other photo rags (188gsm+460gsm+German Etching310gsm)
The above photoRags plus their other Fine Art papers are mentined in their website and I assume they should be available.
My post yesterday was not detailed and made confusion.I appologise for that.
I will try to get more info by tuesday .If there is anything I will post.

Avalan

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 01:09:16 am »

More info about Canon Fine Art Papers :

Fine Art Natural        : 100% cotton/ACID-FREE /Coated on both sides/No OBA
Fine Art Bright White : 100% cotton/ACID-FREE /Coated on both sides

There was no information sheet in any of the ABOVE boxes of paper I received.
When they don't say clearly on the box that the paper  is acid -free, you may think it is not . However I discovered this paper is acid-free.

I found this information here:  usa.canon.com/consumables/mapplications.html

It provides information about other Canon paper as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up