Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross Country Trek  (Read 8561 times)

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:29:44 pm »

Next summer we are planning a family trip driving cross country from New Hampshire to California. I would of course like to take this opportunity to do some photography. If you would be kind enough to list your "Must See" locations in the states, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

juanpizarro

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:40:32 pm »

Next summer we are planning a family trip driving cross country from New Hampshire to California. I would of course like to take this opportunity to do some photography. If you would be kind enough to list your "Must See" locations in the states, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Marc
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Marc,

Be sure to check the map at [a href=\"http://www.outdoorphotoop.com/]OutdoorPhotoOp[/url].  Coverage is still spotty, but growing.

John

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:48:26 pm »

Hi Marc,

Be sure to check the map at OutdoorPhotoOp.  Coverage is still spotty, but growing.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks
just added it to my favorites for reference
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Cross Country Trek
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 11:31:25 am »

Consider whether you're up to some extremely hot weather.  The desert southwest landscapes (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico) are fantastic and unlike anywhere else, but it will be !@$#%$ hot in the summer.  If you can handle that, then the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches & Canyonlands parks are must-sees.
If you can't handle the intense heat (most people can't), then a more northern mountainous route (Montana, Oregon, etc.) would be more comfortable.

If you could make comments about what sorts of places you're most interested in, it would help.  Deserts, mountains, forests, coastlines, cities...?

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Hank

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 11:31:43 am »

Think about light movement, time of day and driving endurance.  In the mornings the light will be genrally behind you and ease driving, while in the afternoon it will be in your face.  Your family also is likely to rebel if driving legs stretch too long.  In addition to finding must-see locations I'd develop a strategy for your trip which combines the best elements of all.  I.e., do most of your driving in the mornings to reach afternoon destinations for dedicated family fun.  Evenings and early mornings will be your photo ops.  If driving East, reverse the schedule with mornings for fun and afternoons for driving, and again reserving evenings and early mornings for photography.

I'm not sure about further east, but commencing at around Denver, Hiway 70 presents an excellent mix of destinations all across Colorado and into Utah including Rocky Mountain NP and the Colorado National Monument, with lots of lesser known destinations between.  You cold also veer south an hour for Arches, Deadhorse Point and Canyonlands.  You could continue south from there and hit the destinations listed below for your return or continue on 70.  Hwy 70 terminates at US 15, but swing south about 30 miles and resume your westward movement on Hiway 50 through Nevada, into California via Lake Tahoe and Sacremento.  It's relatively short hop south from there to Yosemite.  On the eastern leg I'd veer further south and take in Death Valley, Red Rock, Las Vegas, Valley of Fire, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Natural Bridges, Lake Powell, Canyonlands and Arches.  If you continue on that general southern crossing, you could also conceive a route through Great Sand Dunes and other lesser known spots.  

I make annual or twice-annual swings through the area I describe, and my biggest problem is time.  There's so much available that you have to carefully balance you available time with carefully selected stops.

howiesmith

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 01:16:13 pm »

It would be helpful to know how much time you have (and want to drive) and whether you are heading to northern or southern California.

I-70 and I-80 east of Colorado are, in my opinion, pretty dull.  As AJ Croce sings, the scenery and food (usually fried and covered with gravy) are the same shade of gray.

North, Black Hills in SD (Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc) are good.  Devil's Tower in Wyoming is a good spot, great campground.  Avoid the area entirely during the Sturgis Harley rally.  This will get you lined up for Yellowstone (not my favosite place, but a "must see").  Grand Tetons and Jackson are very fine and better paced.  In Jackson, if you find a parking place, take it.  Eat at Anthony's (a must) for dinner (opens at 5 with no reservations so a good idea to arrive early).   Avoid the Gun Barrel.  Bubba's is good and filling for lunch.  Pearl Street Bagels is a good bagel and coffee for breakfast.  There are also a number of small very good dining places.  There are a couple of good photo galleries in Jackson (Mangelsen and othes).

Southern Utah/northern Arizona is about as good as the southwest US gets.  Tom Till has a nice photo galleryin Moab.  Lots of places to see already mentioned.  North Rim Grand Canyon is cooler and less crouded than the South Rim.  Stop in Jacob's Lake for a thick milk shake.

Just south of Barstow Ca is the In 'N Out burger.  Chain but excellant - best fast food burger anywhere.  Also, the Mad Greek in Baker Ca is excellant.  It is usually crouded but the service moves fast.  Baker is best know for it's tall thermometer.  And skip the Bun Boy.  Nothing special at all.  Do not plan on buying gasoline in Baker.  Very expensive.  Much better prices in Las Vegas and/or Barstow.  

Carry and drink lots of water in the desert.  Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.  Too late, you will be thirsty the rest of the day.

Death Valley may be my favorite spot, but it is hot in summer (expect 120F).  There are lots of side dirt roads that can be traveled by ordinary car, but is a good idea to tell a Ranger if you plan on leaving the pavement.

Farther north is Yosemite.  Very crouded but also a must see.  South of there are King's Canyon and Sequoia NPs.  Lees crouded and well worth a visit.

San Francisco is a must see.  Much cooler in summer than the rest of Ca.  More good places to eat than you could visit in months.  See the red wood trees at Muir Woods or Big Basin, or go north to Eureka area (a day just to get there).

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 07:49:46 pm »

Consider whether you're up to some extremely hot weather.  The desert southwest landscapes (Utah, Arizona, New Mexico) are fantastic and unlike anywhere else, but it will be !@$#%$ hot in the summer.  If you can handle that, then the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Arches & Canyonlands parks are must-sees.
If you can't handle the intense heat (most people can't), then a more northern mountainous route (Montana, Oregon, etc.) would be more comfortable.

If you could make comments about what sorts of places you're most interested in, it would help.  Deserts, mountains, forests, coastlines, cities...?

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will have to travel when my daughter is out of school or else I would have picked spring or fall. Hawaii is humid and at times hot so we are some what acclimated to heat. I think Costco parking lot in Kona is as hot as Death Valley! I would like historical sites and landmarks for my daughter’s sake and must photograph sites for me. We are from New Hampshire and relocated to Hawaii so the South West and say national parks in Utah etc would be landscape that we are not familiar with.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:57:11 pm »

It would be helpful to know how much time you have (and want to drive) and whether you are heading to northern or southern California.

I-70 and I-80 east of Colorado are, in my opinion, pretty dull.  As AJ Croce sings, the scenery and food (usually fried and covered with gravy) are the same shade of gray.

North, Black Hills in SD (Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc) are good.  Devil's Tower in Wyoming is a good spot, great campground.  Avoid the area entirely during the Sturgis Harley rally.  This will get you lined up for Yellowstone (not my favosite place, but a "must see").  Grand Tetons and Jackson are very fine and better paced.  In Jackson, if you find a parking place, take it.  Eat at Anthony's (a must) for dinner (opens at 5 with no reservations so a good idea to arrive early).   Avoid the Gun Barrel.  Bubba's is good and filling for lunch.  Pearl Street Bagels is a good bagel and coffee for breakfast.  There are also a number of small very good dining places.  There are a couple of good photo galleries in Jackson (Mangelsen and othes).

Southern Utah/northern Arizona is about as good as the southwest US gets.  Tom Till has a nice photo galleryin Moab.  Lots of places to see already mentioned.  North Rim Grand Canyon is cooler and less crouded than the South Rim.  Stop in Jacob's Lake for a thick milk shake.

Just south of Barstow Ca is the In 'N Out burger.  Chain but excellant - best fast food burger anywhere.  Also, the Mad Greek in Baker Ca is excellant.  It is usually crouded but the service moves fast.  Baker is best know for it's tall thermometer.  And skip the Bun Boy.  Nothing special at all.  Do not plan on buying gasoline in Baker.  Very expensive.  Much better prices in Las Vegas and/or Barstow. 

Carry and drink lots of water in the desert.  Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.  Too late, you will be thirsty the rest of the day.

Death Valley may be my favorite spot, but it is hot in summer (expect 120F).  There are lots of side dirt roads that can be traveled by ordinary car, but is a good idea to tell a Ranger if you plan on leaving the pavement.

Farther north is Yosemite.  Very crouded but also a must see.  South of there are King's Canyon and Sequoia NPs.  Lees crouded and well worth a visit.

San Francisco is a must see.  Much cooler in summer than the rest of Ca.  More good places to eat than you could visit in months.  See the red wood trees at Muir Woods or Big Basin, or go north to Eureka area (a day just to get there).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will have a month for the trip and can take either a northern or southern route. I was back east trying to ship a Lotus 7  that I restored many years ago and had no luck shipping it for a reasonable price, so for the money to ship I can rent a SUV plus gas and lodging and trailer the car to the west coast and have an interesting family vacation. My daughter is 13 and travels well. Shipping to Hawaii is from either Seattle or Long beach.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:02:47 pm »

I-70 and I-80 east of Colorado are, in my opinion, pretty dull.  As AJ Croce sings, the scenery and food (usually fried and covered with gravy) are the same shade of gray.

North, Black Hills in SD (Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc) are good.  Devil's Tower in Wyoming is a good spot, great campground.  Avoid the area entirely during the Sturgis Harley rally.  This will get you lined up for Yellowstone (not my favosite place, but a "must see").  Grand Tetons and Jackson are very fine and better paced.  In Jackson, if you find a parking place, take it.  Eat at Anthony's (a must) for dinner (opens at 5 with no reservations so a good idea to arrive early).   Avoid the Gun Barrel.  Bubba's is good and filling for lunch.  Pearl Street Bagels is a good bagel and coffee for breakfast.  There are also a number of small very good dining places.  There are a couple of good photo galleries in Jackson (Mangelsen and othes).

Southern Utah/northern Arizona is about as good as the southwest US gets.  Tom Till has a nice photo galleryin Moab.  Lots of places to see already mentioned.  North Rim Grand Canyon is cooler and less crouded than the South Rim.  Stop in Jacob's Lake for a thick milk shake.

Just south of Barstow Ca is the In 'N Out burger.  Chain but excellant - best fast food burger anywhere.  Also, the Mad Greek in Baker Ca is excellant.  It is usually crouded but the service moves fast.  Baker is best know for it's tall thermometer.  And skip the Bun Boy.  Nothing special at all.  Do not plan on buying gasoline in Baker.  Very expensive.  Much better prices in Las Vegas and/or Barstow. 

Carry and drink lots of water in the desert.  Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink.  Too late, you will be thirsty the rest of the day.

Death Valley may be my favorite spot, but it is hot in summer (expect 120F).  There are lots of side dirt roads that can be traveled by ordinary car, but is a good idea to tell a Ranger if you plan on leaving the pavement.

Farther north is Yosemite.  Very crouded but also a must see.  South of there are King's Canyon and Sequoia NPs.  Lees crouded and well worth a visit.

San Francisco is a must see.  Much cooler in summer than the rest of Ca.  More good places to eat than you could visit in months.  See the red wood trees at Muir Woods or Big Basin, or go north to Eureka area (a day just to get there).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

San Francisco was where we honeymoon'd so I'll get  points for returning there the rest are great suggestions also.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Lisa Nikodym

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:40:56 am »

If you're interested in historical sites, then look up some of the ghost towns in the desert southwest (if you're taking that route).  Some of them can be fun.

If you're going through San Fran, you can see pretty good redwood forests in that area (Muir Woods or Big Basin), but the really great redwood forests are up California's north coast, between Garberville, Eureka & Crescent City (about a full day's drive from San Fran each way).  There's nothing else like them, quite impressive, though they can be difficult to photograph well.  It's usually quite cool there, too, which can feel good if you've had enough of desert heat earlier in the trip.

If you'd like to brave the heat, I'd recommend seeing the national parks in Utah & northern Arizona (Arches & Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, north rim of the Grand Canyon), then swing through Las Vegas (and maybe Death Valley, if you want to brave *real* heat) and up highway 395, just east of the east wall of the Sierras (and from the 395, the east wall is *really* a wall! very impressive), then through the Yosemite high country on highway 120 (with a side trip to Yosemite Valley, despite the crowds), and from there it's only 4 hours to San Fran.  If there's time, a three-day side trip to the north coast redwoods (if you think you'd like that sort of thing, otherwise just catch the pretty-good ones in the San Fran Bay area).

And I've crossed Texas both ways by car before.  Very big, very boring, not scenic (abject apologies to any Texans here   ).  Do it fast and don't waste time on that part of the trip.  Farther north is probably pretty similar.

Lisa

P.S.  You've got me dreaming of Hawaii again.  I love the Hilo side of the big island (almost as much as I love Kauai).  I've got to make it back there some time...

howiesmith

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 12:15:41 pm »

If you like ghost towns and are heading up 395 past Mono Lake, try Bodie.  Well preserved and a good place to photograph.  I especially like the church.  It is a few miles east of 395 and over some dirt road (not bad though).  The site is only open during daylight hours.  Summer is hot.  Usually few or no clouds.

Lee Vining is the place to go through Yosemite on 120.  Toullumne (spelling?) Meadows is a nice stopping place for a picnic and photos.  Gasoline and a store.  CAmpground fills up early.  (This is Ansel Adams country.)  There is a grove of big trees where 120 meets the road left to the Valley.  Gasoline and store too.  Leaving to the south wil take to Wawona and big trees.

If you are planning to visit more than one national park, get a Golden Eagle pass.  It will sve a lot of money.  Zion and Yosemite cost $20 each just to drive though.  Throw in Bryce and the Grand Canyon, the pass is a real saver.

Near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is Page and Antelope Canyons.  A nice mid-day stop.  (Antelopes are outside of Page, southeast, near the power plant.)  Lower Antelope can be easily visited without a guide.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Forgot to add that Lower Antelope is beside the road to a Lake Powell boat landing.  I haven't checked, but maybe some non-photographers could spend the time cooling in the lake.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you find yourself in northeastern Nevada, Great Basin NP is really different than you would think.  High mountains, pine trees and cool even in summer.  There is a campground near theend of the road at about 10,000 feet that is cool, and quiet.  Take everything you need because it is a long way to anything.  Good place to sort your mental socks and check images on your laptop.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:24:51 pm by howiesmith »

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 01:19:59 pm »

Wow this is great advice I'm taking notes, with the winter to plan the trip It should be spectacular.

[attachment=1342:attachment]

Pololu Valley is 10 miles from my house about 20 miles from the epicenter of the last earth quake

Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

howiesmith

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 11:39:07 am »

My favorite place in Yosemite has a great afternoon, evening view of Half Dome and is the perfect spot for a picnic.  Guarenteed no body else there.

Going west from Tuollumne Meadows, look for a bit of abandoned road on the left side (south) right about the same place as the May Lake parking area on the right (north).  Park on the old road.  There is a huge boulder blocking the old road.  Walk south maybe a half mile (easy walk with no trail).  Soon you will find an open space with the grand view.  Have lunch, enjoy the view and sun.  Take some photos.  Use sun screen (good idea in any desert area).  Easy to burn even when it is cool.

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:22:37 pm »

I've started a MS word file to cut and paste all of your recommendations
Many Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
Cross Country Trek
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »

As I have done before in these forum for like topics, I will simply point out the essential incompatability of family vacations and serious photography.  Make sure you have your priorities straight or you will frustrate your family and yourself.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Cross Country Trek
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 09:35:20 pm »

As I have done before in these forum for like topics, I will simply point out the essential incompatability of family vacations and serious photography.  Make sure you have your priorities straight or you will frustrate your family and yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You need to train your family for it to work. When my wife and I vacation together, she now knows to have several good books with her for while I'm doing the camera thing.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 09:37:05 pm »

As I have done before in these forum for like topics, I will simply point out the essential incompatability of family vacations and serious photography.  Make sure you have your priorities straight or you will frustrate your family and yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good advice, photography is a hobby for me. The primary purpose is to get my Lotus to the west coast, secondary is a family vacation and third is a few good photos on the way. We just finished a small photo trek here on the Big Island and had a lot of fun. My wife being an artist loves stopping to "smell the roses" and looking at the light and composition, my daughter travels well with few complaints. Our best vacation was a 2 week drive from NH to Disney World and back they both loved it. so I think I'm OK on this one
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Lisa Nikodym

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 12:56:15 pm »

Another suggestion for keeping kids interested while you're photographing...

Give the kid a point-&-click camera (or even a more complex back-up camera) and encourage him/her to join you in photographing things.  It doesn't work if you're the sort of photographer that takes a half hour to set up for a single shot, but if you're reasonably quick, he/she can keep busy and happy imitating you.     (At least it works for a five-year-old...)

Lisa

Eric Myrvaagnes

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 06:43:50 pm »

Another suggestion for keeping kids interested while you're photographing...

Give the kid a point-&-click camera (or even a more complex back-up camera) and encourage him/her to join you in photographing things.  It doesn't work if you're the sort of photographer that takes a half hour to set up for a single shot, but if you're reasonably quick, he/she can keep busy and happy imitating you.     (At least it works for a five-year-old...)

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This reminds me of when my son was young and "needed" to use my computer for hours at a time. I finally bought him a computer that was faster than my own, and I immediately regained full access to my own.    

Might work for photography too.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

marcmccalmont

Cross Country Trek
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 06:59:52 am »

I'll probably do the half hour set ups when I rise early for a dawn shot by myself. The rest will be more spontaneous. Chrissy all ready asks for the 5D to take pictures of things she sees so a second camera might be a good idea.
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up