Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF 5000 and ethernet  (Read 4843 times)

rgbudge

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« on: December 10, 2006, 04:37:20 am »

My IPF5000 needs to be greater than 5m from my computer thanks to its size. Options are USB2 with hubs or ethernet. Any feedback from owners using ethernet re speed of printing and reliability would be appreciated.

TwiceDaily

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:48:25 am »

My IPF5000 needs to be greater than 5m from my computer thanks to its size. Options are USB2 with hubs or ethernet. Any feedback from owners using ethernet re speed of printing and reliability would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi,

Well I have only ever used Ethernet and the printer is in another room more than 5m away. The 1 problem I had was with IP addressing. I had the printer setup to get an IP via DHCP from my server, however I went away for 4 days and when I came back could not get the printer to communicate with my PC. I decided that the easiest thing was to manually set the IP address in the 5K and not worry about lease renewal etc. I did that and it's been plain sailing ever since.
I prefer to avoid USB if at all possible because of the shared bandwidth.  Unfortunately, this means I can't give a speed comparision between Eth & USB, however I certainly don't feel like I am held back by using Ethernet. Next time I make a print I'll try and get some timings.

Anyway, give Ethernet a go and I'm sure you won't be disapointed  

Cheers

Chris

Gary Damaskos

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 10:44:22 am »

Ethernet gets my vote - and no problems, set my own IP address also.
Gary

Hi,

Well I have only ever used Ethernet and the printer is in another room more than 5m away. The 1 problem I had was with IP addressing. I had the printer setup to get an IP via DHCP from my server, however I went away for 4 days and when I came back could not get the printer to communicate with my PC. I decided that the easiest thing was to manually set the IP address in the 5K and not worry about lease renewal etc. I did that and it's been plain sailing ever since.
I prefer to avoid USB if at all possible because of the shared bandwidth.  Unfortunately, this means I can't give a speed comparision between Eth & USB, however I certainly don't feel like I am held back by using Ethernet. Next time I make a print I'll try and get some timings.

Anyway, give Ethernet a go and I'm sure you won't be disapointed   

Cheers

Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John Hollenberg

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 12:33:30 pm »

I am having a problem with a longish cable (15 feet) and USB.  Periodically, the GARO Status Monitor reports that it "can't acquire status".  I then have to either reboot the computer or temporarily unplug the USB cable from the printer and then plug it back in.  Canon support says that some USB cards don't meet full specs for proper voltage and this is the reason for the problem.  They may be right here (although they have been dead wrong about a lot of stuff I asked).  Thinking of switching to Ethernet.

--John

ltr03

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 12:59:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also had to manually set the IP address, but outside of that it has worked perfect.

rgbudge

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 04:46:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies
Will give ethernet a go

Rick

filip baraka

• http://
IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:16:07 am »

Thanks for the replies
Will give ethernet a go

I'm on direct(without hub or switch) ethernet connection, no problems so far

serf

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:09:05 pm »

Tried both regular Ethernet cable & crossover cable - still did not work for m.  I get a message about not connecting & error code 21000.  Strange - the Intel Mac Pro "sees" the iPF5000 & lets me add the printer, but it won't connect to run the utility or print.

filip baraka

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:15:25 am »

Tried both regular Ethernet cable & crossover cable - still did not work for m.  I get a message about not connecting & error code 21000.  Strange - the Intel Mac Pro "sees" the iPF5000 & lets me add the printer, but it won't connect to run the utility or print.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

have u enabled appletalk in network preferences? same in printer (don't know where exactly)

serf

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 07:48:45 pm »

have u enabled appletalk in network preferences? same in printer (don't know where exactly)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.  I've never been lucky with networks.  It works with USB so I'll keep using that.  Thanks.

filip baraka

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 06:21:42 am »

Yes.  I've never been lucky with networks.  It works with USB so I'll keep using that.  Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90165\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well in case u need it sometimes, here are few points when dealing with network, in no particular order

1. chek the cable:)
2. switch to manually assigned IP adrs and ensure everything is in right subnet (255....)
give comp and printer same range: 192.168.x.x ...
3. switch of firewall
4. Appletalk active? It can't be used on Airport and ethernet, ensure that ethernet is using it
5. create new network location and start blank
6. sometimes it takes few minutes for settings to take effect
7. try direct connection

serf

IPF 5000 and ethernet
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 08:01:20 pm »

Well in case u need it sometimes, here are few points when dealing with network, in no particular order

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up