Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M8: another perspective  (Read 12175 times)

howiesmith

Leica M8: another perspective
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 06:58:31 am »

Except that all grains are the same size, whether they belong to a sheet of 4*5 Provia, or to a 24*36 roll of the same film.

Pixel size does obviously differ.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is changing pixel size like changing the type of film?

I thought, all things being equal, like pixel size, then a bigger sensor seemed better than a small one, like 4x5 Velvia 100 is better for detail than 35mm Velvia 100.  It gets a bit trickier when you change more than two variables at a time - 4x5 T-Max 400 and 35mm T-Max 100.

I have heard that digital is not electronic film, but it seems there are many similarities that tie film and digital photography together.  Digital is not all new.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 07:07:39 am »

It gets a bit trickier when you change more than two variables at a time - 4x5 T-Max 400 and 35mm T-Max 100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what do when you compare a 1ds2 FF sensor to a d2x APS sensor though.

Both the size of the imager and the size and quality of the pixels (grain if you'd like) are different.

The "quality of the pixel" is affected, among other factors, by the strenght of the AA fliter covering the sensor. That AA filter is a blurring filter aimed at getting rid of moire effects resulting from unfortunate interferences between the subject and the array of RGB photosites.

cheers,
Bernard

howiesmith

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 11:55:41 am »

That's what do when you compare a 1ds2 FF sensor to a d2x APS sensor though.

Both the size of the imager and the size and quality of the pixels (grain if you'd like) are different.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what I hinted at (even though I intended to say change more than one variable at a time).  If you want to see the effect of pixel size, change only the pixel size.  If you want to see the effect of changing sensor size, change only sensor size.  

If you change both at one, then you may conclude one is better than the other but only speculate on the why.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 05:59:08 pm »

That's what I hinted at (even though I intended to say change more than one variable at a time).  If you want to see the effect of pixel size, change only the pixel size.  If you want to see the effect of changing sensor size, change only sensor size. 

If you change both at one, then you may conclude one is better than the other but only speculate on the why.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90530\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I totally agree with this, see my previous posts.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up