Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro9000  (Read 4832 times)

katemann

Canon Pro9000
« on: December 09, 2006, 08:14:50 pm »

I just bought this printer last week. I am delighted.

I know it's not really a pro printer like a Canon whatsit5000. It's a printer that I can afford that doesn't print purple skies. It's a printer that just dropped into the price range that I can afford.

Anyone else in this boat? I would have a $2K printer if I could afford one, but I am wondering if it's just as well that I can't, as 13 x 19 is just fine by me, and suits my Canon Digital Rebel (1st edition).

I love the prints. I am surrounded by my work for the first time ever!

It's possible that I would buy this printer even if I could afford the new Epson, or the larger Canon.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Canon Pro9000
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 10:23:21 am »

Katemann
What papers are you using? What are the results like? Is the colour gamut sufficient? Is there any blocking of details in shadows? Thanks

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Canon Pro9000
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:08:08 pm »

I just bought this printer last week. I am delighted.

I know it's not really a pro printer like a Canon whatsit5000. It's a printer that I can afford that doesn't print purple skies. It's a printer that just dropped into the price range that I can afford.

Anyone else in this boat? I would have a $2K printer if I could afford one, but I am wondering if it's just as well that I can't, as 13 x 19 is just fine by me, and suits my Canon Digital Rebel (1st edition).

I love the prints. I am surrounded by my work for the first time ever!

It's possible that I would buy this printer even if I could afford the new Epson, or the larger Canon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How does this printer compare with the HP 9180 that everyone has been raving about recently?

Jeremy

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Canon Pro9000
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 03:15:59 pm »

How does this printer compare with the HP 9180 that everyone has been raving about recently?

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89902\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Canon Pro9000 is a dye-based ink printer, and the HP9180 is a pigment-based ink printer. The Canon uses the Canon Chromalife 1000 inks which are said to be a longer lasting dye ink than previous Canon dye inks (vis-a-vis fading). The Chromalife inks are said to offer up to 30 years of light-fastness when displayed in a normal setting behind glass and perhaps as long as 100 years (theoretically) in dark storage when used with the appropriate papers.

The HP9180 pigments are said to be archival inks which in theory should last longer when used with the appropriate papers.

--
Dale

katemann

Canon Pro9000
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 07:13:01 pm »

Kenneth - You can call me Kate if you like.

So far I have only used Canon Photo Paper Pro, which is high gloss. Clearly you can expect wonderful colour repro on high gloss stock, however, the beautiful clarity that I am seeing really is good. I don't notice any compression in the shadow nor in the highlight. I was astounded at how neutral and good a photo of snow looked!

As for dye vs pigment - 30 years in reasonable lighting conditions is good enough for me. I consider myself competent and sometimes inspired as a photographer, but Edward Weston I am not and I don't imagine that anyone will cry much if one of my prints is a little faded after I die. At 58, I'm betting that I go first!

This printer has much to recommend it - not the least is the fact that I can afford the thing, and the 13 x 19 is lovely to have! It is good to have my work sitting around my studio for consideration ... and I'm not battling red in the blue.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Canon Pro9000
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 11:12:13 pm »

Kate
The tanks (carts) seem small for that size printer. Are you constantly changing them? Is it expensive to run?
Ken

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Canon Pro9000
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 03:20:15 am »

The Canon Pro9000 is a dye-based ink printer, and the HP9180 is a pigment-based ink printer. The Canon uses the Canon Chromalife 1000 inks which are said to be a longer lasting dye ink than previous Canon dye inks (vis-a-vis fading). The Chromalife inks are said to offer up to 30 years of light-fastness when displayed in a normal setting behind glass and perhaps as long as 100 years (theoretically) in dark storage when used with the appropriate papers.

The HP9180 pigments are said to be archival inks which in theory should last longer when used with the appropriate papers.

--
Dale
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was thinking more about picture quality, ease of use, noise and so on: comments from experience. I can read specifications anywhere.

Jeremy

katemann

Canon Pro9000
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:42:28 pm »

Well, Jeremy, I don't know how the printer would compare against the HP as I don't have both of them, just the one.

The printer is quiet, and the output is very good.

Kenneth, I haven't printed so many prints as to run out of ink yet. I can say that the entire set is about 130 Cdn$ and I have made only about 8.5 x 11 30 prints, as well 1 13 x 19 and I haven't even touched the ink, apparently. The printer comes with a full set, unlike some printers, who send you a bit to get you started.

I don't hear any head cleaning, as I was accustomed to with Epsons ... by now I would have expected to hear at least one routine.

I didn't mention how fast this printer is - I'm not timing the prints but they are arriving in a very expeditious manner, from sending the job to the printer to getting the product.

I haven't tried any black and white - and I may never. I worked solely in black and white for many years and I might spend the rest of my life enjoying colour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up