Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon @ Calumet  (Read 2925 times)

serf

Canon @ Calumet
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:52:19 pm »

I saw a presentation by a Canon rep at Calumet's open house today.  There was not a lot new, but she did project the driver dialogue on a Mac onto a screen & showed a number of 16-bit profiles that she said are coming out "later."  I mentioned the poor documentation (praised the print quality) & asked about more info on media settings.  I did not fully catch & understand her answer.  I think she said that the paper names are being translated (into Japanese?) at the printer & they are adding more translations.  She recommended using Special 1 through 5 for non-Canon papers, 5 providing more ink.  (Her profiles were like "S5" for (Special 5), 16 pass, highest.  I asked about using the closest Canon paper to the type we are trying to use.  She did not appear to encourage that.  She said she would email me something next week that might help.  If it's different than what is available on the wiki, I'll let John know.

I met a very nice guy there, whose name I now can't recall, who uses a Mac G5, I think.  He said he had tried to use the iPF5000 with a USB hub, but it worked intermittently, so he was going to getting a longer USB cord & direct connect.  When I mentioned I could not make the ethernet work, he said to try a "crossover" cable.  I had not been aware of that requirement, if it works, or seeing it in the Canon documentation.

jjlphoto

Canon @ Calumet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:41:25 pm »

When I mentioned I could not make the ethernet work, he said to try a "crossover" cable.  I had not been aware of that requirement, if it works, or seeing it in the Canon documentation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89474\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you are doing a direct computer to device ethernet connection, use of a crossover cable is standard networking practice. (Usually the ends are marked in red as an indentifier)

Most people connect via a router/switch such as a a Linksys or NetGear, and their highspeed internet is the in, and the computers and devices are the outs, all connected with standard Cat 5 cables.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:43:16 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

serf

Canon @ Calumet
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:14:56 pm »

Thanks - 1st time trying to connect a printer directly to computer via ethernet

When you are doing a direct computer to device ethernet connection, use of a crossover cable is standard networking practice. (Usually the ends are marked in red as an indentifier)

Most people connect via a router/switch such as a a Linksys or NetGear, and their highspeed internet is the in, and the computers and devices are the outs, all connected with standard Cat 5 cables.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
Canon @ Calumet
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 09:29:19 am »

Most newer Macs do not require the use of a crossover cable when connecting directly to another computer or printer. The Ethernet interface will auto-negotiate with whatever you plug into it. But if a regular patch cable isn't working, try a crossover. Or just plug both devices into a small network hub or switch. You can get a four or five port model fairly cheaply at your local computer store.

I have not experienced any issues with the iPF5000 and its Ethernet interface.

Regards,

-eric-

jjlphoto

Canon @ Calumet
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:27:44 am »

Most newer Macs do not require the use of a crossover cable when connecting directly to another computer or printer. The Ethernet interface will auto-negotiate with whatever you plug into it.
-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is good to know. Thanks for the tip!
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

serf

Canon @ Calumet
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:34:16 pm »

Eric:

What kind of Mac are you using?  I have an Intel Mac Pro, which had issues with the old driver.  I have not tried Ethernet with the new Canadian driver yet.  Thanks,

I have not experienced any issues with the iPF5000 and its Ethernet interface.

Regards,

-eric-
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up