Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3800/Third party papers and platten gap  (Read 4027 times)

jjlphoto

3800/Third party papers and platten gap
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:38:22 pm »

Just got my Museo Silver Rag and Innova FibaPrint White Gloss today. Both are 300gsm/15mil papers. the media setting crane recommends for the Silver Rag is premium Lustre Photo paper, so probably the same fo the innova. The question is, Epson Premium Lustre Paper is a 240gsm/10mil paper, so anybody thing that leaving the platten on Standard (auto) will be sufficient, or will I have to use the convoluted control panel or driver controls to create a new Paper Configuration? Any difference between setting up on one or the other?
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 05:50:59 pm »

As long as you aren't experiencing any head strikes you shouldn't need to adjust the platen height. I had to do it on a 7800 when printing on Hahnemüle Fine Art Pearl.

Regards,

-eric-

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:20:34 am »

Epson seem to recommend to define the paper thickness (in units of 0.1 mm) in the driver advanced settings. In fact, I'm always doing this when printing on a thick non-Epson paper. Leave platten gap as auto. It will adjust the gap based on paper thickness. Seems to work OK for the papers I've tested.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:22:57 am by NikosR »
Nikos

henk

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 10:38:49 am »

No problems with Inova Fiba Gloss on my EPS 3800 with Prem. Luster as preset. (have not yet the time to do a profile)
So far I have only printed B&W with This paper and it is Beautiful, even without a custom profile.

Henk

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 12:49:12 pm »

I just ran some GMB test targets on some third party papers, both 300gsm/15mils. The Innova came out clean, used all standard settings, with Epson PLPP media settings. The Crane Museo Silver Rag picked a bit of dark ink on the very edge of the sheet, IOW, where the print head woud be in the middle of the printer. Is this a head strike? Perhaps I need to dive into the platten gap adjustments? Yikes- that paper is expensive, don't want to waste any. Any ideas would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:49:30 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 04:22:55 pm »

If all I want to do is increase the Platten Gap and not mess with the other controls, any reason I cannot just do it in the driver window's second last pull down- "Paper Config" instead of doing a whole new paper configuration on the printer's LCD display or the LFP Remote Panel? (I realize I will then not have access to alignment tools and other feed tools.)
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjlphoto

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 12:30:48 pm »

Did some tests with Crane Museo Silver Rag, and InnoveFiba F-Gloss Brilliant White. Media setting was PLPP.

The Museo picked up a bit of ink residue on the edges, my guess is that it was hitting the head as it passed oner the edge of the paper. I could hear it a bit, and the Museo has a bit of upward curl at the edges. It is thicker than the Innova. I made a custom configuration on the printers panel, set the platten to "wide", thickness to .5, and ran a alignment pattern and entered the number that looked aligned. This cleared the Museo fine, no ink on edges anymore.

Regarding Innova- I returned the paper config to Standard, and in the Paper Config menu in the driver, I left the Platten on Auto, and adjusted the paper thickness to .5, and that works fine.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

picnic

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 01:22:09 pm »

No problems with Inova Fiba Gloss on my EPS 3800 with Prem. Luster as preset. (have not yet the time to do a profile)
So far I have only printed B&W with This paper and it is Beautiful, even without a custom profile.

Henk
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Henk, just found that Innova has 'generic' 3800 profiles available
[a href=\"http://www.innovaart.com/profileview.php?id=2&name=Epson]http://www.innovaart.com/profileview.php?id=2&name=Epson[/url]
as well as Hahnemuhle but noticed that they grouped 3800/4800--so probably not 'new' profiles
http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/us/1014/epson.html

My printer is out for delivery today---so am anxious to try some of my samples--as well as the papers I've been using with the 2200 (Epson, etc.)--my samples from Shades of Paper should be here today also (glossy sample pack).

Diane
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:23:59 pm by picnic »
Pages: [1]   Go Up