Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl 320  (Read 3868 times)

NikosR

• http://
New Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Pearl 320
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:05:56 am »

I just noticed that Hahn. is introducing a new fine art paper Photo Rag Pearl 320. This is marketed as a cross between Photo Rag and Fine Art Pearl (PR base and texture, FAP coating) and, unlike both PR and FAP will not have any OBAs added.

More here Photo Rag Pearl at PhotoPlus Expo
Nikos

Let Biogons be Biogons

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:46:27 pm »

I just noticed that Hahn. is introducing a new fine art paper Photo Rag Pearl 320. This is marketed as a cross between Photo Rag and Fine Art Pearl (PR base and texture, FAP coating) and, unlike both PR and FAP will not have any OBAs added.

How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin?  Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)?  Or is there more to it than that?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:47:32 pm by Let Biogons be Biogons »

NikosR

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:55:52 am »

How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin?  Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)?  Or is there more to it than that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it seems from their announcement that there's more to that. They are talking about Photo Rag's base and surface. FAP has a distinctly different surface thatn PhotRag
Nikos

Greg_E

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 11:35:12 am »

How is this different than their Photo Rag Satin?  Is it a matter of natural white (pearl) vs. bright white (satin)?  Or is there more to it than that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Photorag Satin is a matte black paper, this new pearl would be a photo black paper.

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:03 pm »

Photo Rag Pearl will be an OBA-free semi-matte paper. Any chance Michael will review this paper? He hasn't (as far as I recall) discussed longevity issues with regard to newer photo papers. I keep expecting (hoping) to find an article on OBAs but no luck yet.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »

Photo Rag Pearl will be an OBA-free semi-matte paper. Any chance Michael will review this paper? He hasn't (as far as I recall) discussed longevity issues with regard to newer photo papers. I keep expecting (hoping) to find an article on OBAs but no luck yet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you aware of Henry Wilhelm's website: www.wilhelm-research.com. There is a wealth of material on all that stuff, with reports on all the papers and machine his lab has tested and for which his reports are allowed into the public domain.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:35:20 pm »

Are you aware of Henry Wilhelm's website: www.wilhelm-research.com. There is a wealth of material on all that stuff, with reports on all the papers and machine his lab has tested and for which his reports are allowed into the public domain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I am familiar with Wilhelm's research. Of course, it will be quite a while before there is an article on the longevity of Photo Rag Pearl. I suspect (hope) that it will approach the ratings for HP's new inks and Hahnemuhle paper.

I am interested in reading (in particular) why Michael chooses to use papers which make heavy use of OBAs. I am sure he is as informed on this topic as he is on so many topics photographic, so I am eager to hear why he chooses not to shy away from papers with OBAs such as Fine Art Pearl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up