Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you view Thumbnails in OS-X?  (Read 6385 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
How do you view Thumbnails in OS-X?
« on: December 08, 2006, 04:01:07 am »

In Windows Explorer one of the 6 options for viewing contents of a folder is Thumbnail view, which does exactly that - all images are seen as little thumbnails, which is incredibly useful when moving/sorting image files.
Now when doing some image file shuffling on a Mac recently, this option seemed to be missing, which made finding and moving multiple specific images a real PITA.
Now when I was in the Apple shop yesterday, I was told ''showing a folder of thumbnails would slow your entire system down'' !!! Maybe they only had clockwork Macs in that shop!    I've used this feature in Windows since Win2000 came out with no problems and was recommended to use iPhoto or iView Media Pro, both of which show folders of images without your system slowing down. Neither are appropriate. The staff seemed to think it was pointless being able to see an entire folder of image files as images, duh! Apple didn't do it, therefore it was a really stupid idea seemed to be their mindset. Not a good way to sell me their product.

My requirements are simple. I want a folder tree and need to be able to see image thumbnails within the tree itself. I know you can open another window to see thumbs and a big image, but that doesn't enable me to easily select several images within folder so I can quickly and easily move images between folders. And be able to undo moves when I make a mistake or change mind. Windows Explorer logically uses Cnrtl+z. Basic, simple, easy and very effective.
I do not want a database programme of any kind for this. I always sort files by year/month/day-description like this 2006/2006 - 11 - Nov/2006 - 11 - 24 - Description of shoot. This way I can always add a database on top of my basic and logical file structure.The reasoning being is if database corrupts or the programme is no longer supported in 10 years time, then I still have a coherent filing system.
If OS-X cannot do this very simple and basic task [which appears to be the case] is there a third party app that does? There are several alternatives to Windows Explorer by third parties. If Bridge 1.0 wasn't so slow and had an undo for when you drag pics to wrong folder [which is not uncommon as it is so slow], there may be no need for another programme.
Cheers for any advice jjj
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:38:28 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:48:33 am »

In Windows Explorer one of the  options for viewing contents of a folder is Thumbnail view, which does exactly that - all images are seen as little thumbnails, which is incredibly useful when moving/sorting image files.
Now when doing some image file shuffling on a Mac recently, this option seemed to be missing, which made finding and moving multiple specific images a real PITA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should be quite simple, really.  Open Finder, close all windows there, then open the Contents meny, and select "Display alternatives" (I think that´s the English term; I have the Swedish OS X).  Or just press Apple+J.

Now, in the dialog window that sholuld open, check the second-to-last square ("preview symbols" or something to that effect).  That should do the trick!

If you DO have a finder window open when you see that dialog, you can select (radio buttons at the top) to change the settings for just that folder (it will be remembered); very nifty for folders with hundreds or thousands of images, that could be slow if thumbs are on.  Also, you can select the size of those thumbnails.
Per Ofverbeck
My

francois

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:03:43 am »

It should be quite simple, really.  Open Finder, close all windows there, then open the Contents meny, and select "Display alternatives" (I think that´s the English term; I have the Swedish OS X).  Or just press Apple+J.

Now, in the dialog window that sholuld open, check the second-to-last square ("preview symbols" or something to that effect).  That should do the trick!

If you DO have a finder window open when you see that dialog, you can select (radio buttons at the top) to change the settings for just that folder (it will be remembered); very nifty for folders with hundreds or thousands of images, that could be slow if thumbs are on.  Also, you can select the size of those thumbnails.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To add a tiny bit of information:  just be sure to display the Finder window using "icons view" (not displayed by lists). The important setting is "Show icon preview".
Here's a screenshot of the Get Info window:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:06:08 am by francois »
Francois

jjj

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:15:18 am »

Hej Per, thanks for that. I don't have a Mac of my own yet [this problem was a stumbling block], so can't try out ty your tip just yet. But maybe I can now go back to the Apple store and show the staff how to use OS-X!  
Ta jjj
Just spent 10 hours yesterday editing images from Herräng 2006, which reminded me of how much I like Sweden and how slow Bridge is!

Ta Francois also for the extra info.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:16:18 am by jjj »

jjlphoto

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:51:21 am »

I use PhotoMechanic from CameraBits. It is the fastest browser, and allows you to tag images, rotate, etc, add gobs of meta/IPTC data, and it is what the top PJs use. Another handy feature is when "ingesting" CF cards, it will allow you to select up to two separate destinations for simultaneous CF card download for instant back-up. Those destinations can be anywhere on your network, even on separate drives, etc.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

jjj

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:09:09 am »

Thanks John Luke, but I already use Photo Mechanic and it doesn't do what I require in this instance. I want to be able to move folders as well and although PM is great at some things that's not one of them. Shame as it's potentially a much better programme that it is at present. I just wish it's rating, labelling was compatible with Bridge as it's much better for viewing and deciding which pics are best, than Bridge's crappy quality renders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up