Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Namibia Portfolio  (Read 11783 times)

Rob C

Namibia Portfolio
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:00:11 am »

Michael

I think that the set of pictures that you've put together is very impresive indeed; did you ever have a go at the stock business?

Ciao - Rob C

michael

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:28:06 pm »

Thanks,

I've done a bit of stock, working with a small Japanese agency, but otherwise no. Stock agencies have a voracious appetite, and feeding them is not my thing.

Frankly, I do much better financially though fine art print and portfolio sales, with a lot less pressure.

Michael

Rob C

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 12:50:37 pm »

Thanks,

I've done a bit of stock, working with a small Japanese agency, but otherwise no. Stock agencies have a voracious appetite, and feeding them is not my thing.

Frankly, I do much better financially though fine art print and portfolio sales, with a lot less pressure.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're right: the appetite is indeed voracious and the digestive process far too rapid. In no time at all your material is back at the end of the queue and the old adage of out of sight being out of mind is never more true.

I was with Tony Stone Worldwide for some years (pre-Getty) and, as my thing was girls, I used to provide stock from calendar and fashion shoots that were paid for by clients. That came to a slow end and I did another stock shoot totally financed by yours truly; it took me a couple of years to get my money back, never mind go into profit. By the time you budget for model fees, hotels, flights etc. and figure in the loss of interest on the capital put out on spec, the entire exercise looks the sort of venture which nobody in any other industry would contemplate.

But there are always people who still manage to make it work - I just wasn't one of them!

Ciao - Rob C

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 07:39:19 pm »

Michael, I like your Namibia work better than any you've posted in a long time.

My eye is drawn to geometric abstractions both in nature and in the works of man, and at the interface of the two; and to  simple, clean lines and tonalities (stuff I liked about shooting at the Brickworks.) I think this is the strength of your work, especially so in your Namibia portfolio. This theme unifies your work across all genres--landscape, travel, and others--and in this respect I don't think of you as a landscape photographer in the sweeping-scenic and rock-and-tree tradition. Is this something that you seek consciously, or is your eye drawn to it on a different plane of creativity?

Not sure if I'm making any sense, but you get my drift I hope. Very well done indeed. I have no doubt that this portfolio will fly off your shelves, and deservedly so.

Best regards,
michael sebast

michael

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »

Funny thing is I don't think of myself as a landscape photographer either. I've been pegged as that because of the name of the web site, but the reality is that my background is as a photojournalist, and I only came to doing landscape work in the past 10 years or so.

I simply shoot what interests me.

I don't structre my work consciously. I shoot, and it comes out a certain why, for better or worse.

Michael

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:38 am »

I simply shoot what interests me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's the best reason for photographing, IMHO. Much better than trying to fit it into any categories. It's the not-easily-categorized images that I generally like best and feel that they help me broaden my own way of seeing. Like the Duck Lift and the Namibia photos.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

to-mas

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:36:09 am »

Michael

I think that the set of pictures that you've put together is very impresive indeed; did you ever have a go at the stock business?

Ciao - Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

agree
honestly i think this for me the best of his porfolios.

seany

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:16:57 pm »

agree
honestly i think this for me the best of his porfolios.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89373\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Michael let me add my appreciation to previous posts I've just been perusing again your "Bangladesh First Impressions" and can't help but be blown away by your mastery of the craft of capturing and presenting stunning images,my only regret is my pocket will not allow my to purchase one of these portfolios.

pgpgsxr

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 06:48:26 pm »

Michael, my favourite portfolio was your latest work from Iceland which you presented on the O´Reilly webpage. Although I find the Namibia portfolio beautiful, the Iceland work for me is totally inspiring in it´s originality. You have  managed to capture images which I feel are just as good as your latest M8 work. In my opinion this summer you´ve taken a great step foward and you can begin to think of yourself as a landscape photographer with very personal touch and voice. I hope your winter vacations in Morroco are still on, if so I can´t wait to see your take on the country.
 Paul

ddolde

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 11:18:05 pm »

It's a lovely portfolio...and I have to admire the reasonable price.  You could have asked $3,000 like some one else does (won't mention any names but the initials are A.B.)  

DarkPenguin

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 12:36:34 am »

That reminds me it is a new month.  I should see if Briot has a new print of the month.

(nice namibia portfolio, btw.)

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 09:54:49 am »

Hi,

I received the Mamibia Portfolio just before Christmas and I must say that the previews on the website do not make justice to the real pictures. They are the kind of pictures I like and at such reasonable price I ordered them at no doubt.

This is the second portfolio I have form Michael (the other one is the Monograph 1996-2001) which I still enjoy as it was the first time.

And probably because I saw so many times the Monograph, I notice at a glance a visible lack of definition (resolution) of the photographs in the Namibia Portfolio compared with most of the Monograph pics.

This has not affected the visual enjoyment I experience viewing the photographs, but, since I enjoy also on technicalities, I'd like to know if any of you have both portfolios and have noticed the same?

In Namibia all are digital (5D, 1Ds MKII and P45) and in the Monograph they are mainly medium format, if I remember well. The detail level of some of them in the Monograph are really impresive, and I think that the digital gear used for the Namibia was able to achieve the same if not superior resolution so, why the fine details are a kind of blured? Was it done on purpose, was it the atmosphere, dust, equipment limitation?

I do not know, but I would like to.

Regards

Manuel

Rob C

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:13:47 pm »

Manuel

I have not seen either of these sets as originals (whatever definition that might mean) but if you do see, as you say you do, such a difference, then yes, it would be nice if Michael could supply an answer to the perceived difference.

One could start out with pushing forward all manner of suggestions as to why this might be so, if it is, but there are still questions in my own mind about the film v. sensor question which an answer from Michael might go some way to resolving.

Ciao - Rob C

michael

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:45:22 pm »

It's more than likely the paper. The Monograph was on a very smooth matte paper while the new portfolios, including Namibia, are on Han Fine Art Rag, a paper with a courser texture.

I also have learned a lot about sharppening in the past five years. I no longer do it quite as aggressively.  

Michael

pgpgsxr

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 04:57:18 pm »

I also have questions regarding about the film v. sensor question. Having used medium format and 4x5 in the landscape and now the 1Ds there is something resoulution-wise which I can´t put my finger on which makes me feel digital in the landscape isn´t always quite "right". I must point out photokit sharpener did a lot to make things better however there is still is just this something which every so often makes me doubt.
 Paul

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 04:54:00 am »

It's more than likely the paper. The Monograph was on a very smooth matte paper while the new portfolios, including Namibia, are on Han Fine Art Rag, a paper with a courser texture.

I also have learned a lot about sharppening in the past five years. I no longer do it quite as aggressively.   

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93710\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That satisfies my curiosity and also makes me learn that, quite often, too much sharpening (or, really, too much technological perfection) makes you miss focus from the artistic values (the real protagonist) towards the technology, that should be hidden and transparent to the viewer.

Regarding what Palu sais regarding that 'je ne se quoi' that digital has, I've experienced the same during the two years that I've been shooting in parallel analog and digital (Dimage A2, 8Mp)

What I've experienced is that in digital, things close to the camera (about 1 to 5 meters) are extremely well defined and sharp (unnaturally sharp I would say). But by the contrary, things far from the camera, although perfect in focus, if they are complex and out of the sensor or lens resolving power, (pine leaves far from the camera, for example), appear pasted and sharpening only make thigs worse.

In analog, things out of the resolving power of the film o lenses have a more pleasant (at least for me) aspect, and sharpening tend to enhance it a bit, instead of increase the pasting.

In film, images are more even, and degradation towards the resolving limits is more continuous than in digital, where there is and abrupt transition from an incredibly sharpnes to almost total pasting.

At least that is my experience with hundreds of similar photograps taken, without moving the tripod, with a Minolta Dimage A2 and a Minolta Dynax 800Si with original 24-85mm lenses and Velvia 100F, and cannot tell if this can be extrapolated to the high end digital cameras.

I'm willing forward Canon decides to replace the 5D to make the final transition to digital, anyway.

Manuel

Rob C

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 05:53:51 am »

Hi folks

Thank's for your reply Michael, and it's interesting to read your comment on your use of sharpening. Are you, then, suggesting that a little less sharpness (visually speaking, as against the numerical combination punched into the equation) is a better thing? This opens up an entirely new can of worms which could lead to the use of softening filters etc. and might not be such a welcome thing at all; I do not confuse (I hope!) sharpness in the focussed areas with that found in areas beyond the plane chosen as the important one, I mean a general, overall lack of bite. Is that where you see yourself going?

Ciao - Rob C

P.S. - Hey, Mr Penguin, grist for your mill here!

michael

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:22:59 am »

Rob,

I am much less concerned these days with trying to achieve some sort of technical perfection than I am with try to make my prints interpret best what the subject has to say.

Technical perfection, for its own sake, is a bore. On the other hand a great image poorly executed is sad to behold. There needs to be something inbetween, and that's what I strive for.

Michael

Rob C

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 11:52:40 am »

Rob,

I am much less concerned these days with trying to achieve some sort of technical perfection than I am with try to make my prints interpret best what the subject has to say.

Technical perfection, for its own sake, is a bore. On the other hand a great image poorly executed is sad to behold. There needs to be something inbetween, and that's what I strive for.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=93840\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael

Had I not been made aware of the differences in sharpness (if they DO exist!), I would never have thought of the pictures as being anything other than damn good shots. I think that the 'technique' thing should never be undervalued or underestimated: I've had many a shoot saved from disaster (model pushed at me not being of my choosing) simply on the strength of technique - the client repaired for lunch a happy man and I got to send in my invoice a sadder but not poorer one.

Yes, a combination of both is ideal, but I do believe that if we are talking 'art' then content/idea is the prime consideration; or do I? It is so hard to be certain of anything in photography - the moment one comes to one conclusion there is more proof of the validity of an alternative one than one would necessarily welcome! Maybe the older we get the less certain we can be of anything - experience tends to deny certainties!

Ciao - Rob C

pgpgsxr

Namibia Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »

Ecemfim has put his finger on my doubts and managed to express what I also felt with digital and film! What is close to the lens for example a head portrait is just increadible in digital, the resolution is imposible to beat. However when I start working digital in the landscape, trees and rocka at a long distance just look odd, they look slightly umpleasant. I must say the 1Ds II is the first camera where this look which sort of bothers me is much better than any other lower resolution camera I have worked with. The best way I have found to work with this sudden pasting of far way objects is to not to stop down further than F11.
Paul
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up