Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag for daily use  (Read 4395 times)

DaveL

• http://
Bag for daily use
« on: December 06, 2006, 08:38:43 pm »

I want a bag to carry as my "office".  I go to construction sites, and spend a lot of time in my car.

I'll carry my little point & shoot (Canon 700 is)

Other stuff:
* journal (field notes)
* pda with gps built in
* cell phone
* extras--batteries; memory cards, cables
* tubes of hand cleaner, etc

no note book; no blackberry (yet)

Last attempt?

* Lowepro LX160, but the darn strap keeps falling off my shoulder, and it drives me nuts.

History?
* Nikon F2/F3HP; 90S and lenses
* Leica M3/M4P with winder and lenses
* Sony F828
* Everywhere camera that Canon 700is

I've had a bunch of Lowepro, and started adding tamrac pouches to them.

Regards,
Dave Lynch
Torono
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 08:39:11 pm by dlynch »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Bag for daily use
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:27:29 pm »

If the strap is the only problem, people here seem to swear by UpStrap which might solve that.

DaveL

Bag for daily use
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:59:27 pm »

If the strap is the only problem, people here seem to swear by UpStrap which might solve that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks I read the review here, and I'm interested.

However, my most used bag (recently) cost about the same as that pad.It was a Lowepro LX160 btw.  Before I added the extra T pocket for the gps receiver, and the cell phone.

Downside? Exposed zipper and not waterproof.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Dave
Toronto

ps Love the site. I was/am passionate about Leica, and this site supports that passion!

DaveL

Bag for daily use
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:11:01 pm »

My reason for asking...

I find myself going into shops, looking at all the bags and leaving with a Lowepro. I have a bunch of them.

I like to carry a camera with me all the time. I don't like adding it to an MEC courier bag for instance (have one too)

I usually leave in a hurry. Moving things from bag to bag, I may (often do) leave something behind.

I want/need to carry:

* daily journal (no, not a laptop or even a blackberry)
* pda with gps (essential; I get lost)
* cell phone
* canon sd700is (sometimes Sony F828)
* blackberry pen (closest I'll get ;-)  )
* suntan cream, etc
* rescue remedy
and some similar things

I want a "photo" bag withorganizer ability. Or an organizer bag with photo capability.
I've moved away from my favourite photo shop. Linden Photo in London. You know...walk in with a bunch of stuff, try it in bags and walk out with the one that fits best. Linden was the best.  I haven't found their equal in Mississauga.

Regards,
Dave
Mississauga

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Bag for daily use
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:15:23 am »

Dave, I checked LowePro's site for the LX160; they list an EX160--is that it? It looks like a fat briefcase.

I wonder if a smaller Domke bag might be the ticket for you, such as their original F2. Its footprint is rectangular, and its cross section through its short dimension is roughly square. Its interior space can be left open or partitioned by dividers/containers that velcro into place. It has a boatload of pockets and crannies for all your smaller items. I think the F2 has a zipper pocket running the length of its backside, but a check at B&H or elsewhere would verify this.

I have gone the usual route of trying/buying/selling bag after bag, looking for one does-it-all solution. (Like your situation, local stores don't carry anything other than LowePro.) Doesn't exist IMV. like most of us I found that bags that are good for storage and protection aren't so good for working out of and vice versa. My last bag was a LowePro Commercial AW MF, a cavernous heavy monster that protects like a presidential secret service detail, but sacrifices portability and access. It's now sitting empty.

If you aren't familiar with Domke, it seems they aim for usability and access, with just the amount of protection needed and no more. It's minimally padded but in practice i've not found that to be a problem.

I have the larger one, the F1x, in canvas; in it I carry a Contax 645 with a Kodak ProBack and up to four lenses, with smaller accessories arrayed throughout its many pockets. I have taken out the divider section that came with the bag (its "silos" are too small for my MF lenses) and simply put the lenses' own bags in there, open so they are easy to get to. All of this stuff usually lives in a Pelican case for storage and protected transport. The Domke takes what I need for the job or the day. I have no complaints at all about it--best and most usable bag I've owned, overall.

The Domke's strap is especially nice--it's wide and has rubber stitching or threading of some kind running its length which enables it to grip like mad. It won't fall off your shoulder easily. (I've outfitted mine with their accessory foam-rubber shoulder pad that velcros to the strap.)

Only downside I can think of for you is that the canvas is not waterproof, so you'd want a ballistic nylon version instead. I like the feel of the canvas, and wanted a color other than black.

I know Domke makes some other bags that are more like messenger bags or briefcases in shape, so that might appeal to you more.

Another thought might be Billingham--people here and elsewhere swear by them.

Hope this has helped.
michael sebast

DaveL

Bag for daily use
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 07:55:02 pm »

Thanks Mike and feppe.

I have a partial fix.  The lowepro bag is cut like a bike courier's bag. I sent emails to Lowepro (no result; they responded essentially saying there's nothing wrong with the bag), and daymen marketing. Right model number by the way.

Daymen sent a lowepro strap that works like a charm! So it will be a good daily carrier, and I don't need an assistant to carry it. (I had that problem with old big Lowepro bags. I had the need to fill it and didn't like carrying it.
Cheers for daymen!

I've been searching ebay for domke and billingham. Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't found a bargain yet.

I do have a Domke vest. It's great. And I've added Domke straps to a small Lowepro aw pouch I have when I really want to travel light.

The bag I referred to  is not AW and it has a zipper across the top, so I'll need to be careful.

I truly appreciate your responses.

Regards,
Dave L
toronto

Jay Kaplan

Bag for daily use
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 09:56:48 am »

Have you considered the Tamrac Velocity series? I have the Velocity 9 and it holds my SLR and about 4 lenses plus all the other "essential" stuff - cell phone, PDA, journal, etc. It fits across your chest with a wide padded strap, easy opening to all parts, customizable internal dividers and a waist strap to really stablize it when you want total hands free. Assorted colors are available.

Jay

DaveL

Bag for daily use
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:52:58 pm »

Thanks Jay.  I usually go in and look at all the bags and buy a Lowepro. I'll take a closer look!

The bag I mentionned has 2 tamrac add=ons.

I haven't counted my bags. My wife calls me pack-man. I wouldn't want to prove it true.

Regards,
DAve

Jay Kaplan

Bag for daily use
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 10:50:14 pm »

This bag is sort of like a currier bag but for cameras. The strap is designed to fit across your chest and the bag rests on the opposite hip. Strap on right shoulder and the bag on the left hip. Easy access from the top or side.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up