Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting prints  (Read 7033 times)

griffithimage

mounting prints
« on: December 06, 2006, 02:30:09 pm »

Hi, I'm putting together an exhibition, 40 30x40 inch prints and was considering mounting them myself. To mount to dibond or plywood etc, does one use a dry mount press? What is the process? Does anyone have any suggestions? Getting a lab to do it is quite expensive. I've used glue and spray adhesives in the past and have had a problem with bubbling. Any suggestions?

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
mounting prints
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:30:20 pm »

I display 17x25 dry mounted on acid free foam core at 24"x32", Premier Art Print Shield spray, and no glass.  The mounting is done by a local framing shop, I supply the foamboard.  I've tried both spray, as well as a 3m adhesive film, which is finicky and ok up to a framed size of 16x24, but I've never been able to get decent results DIY on the larger sizes.

jjlphoto

mounting prints
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »

Consider using Gator Board. It is less prone to warpage than Foamcore. Most pro display or framing shops have it.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

howiesmith

mounting prints
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:50:35 pm »

I don't care for foamcore or Gator board becasue the corners dents in very easily.

I use color dry mount tissue (lower temperature than b&w) on masonite with a Seal press.  Doesn't warp very easily and is strong.  I use a router to make radius corners, abou 1.5 for a 30x40 print.

griffithimage

mounting prints
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 05:27:10 pm »

I don't care for foamcore or Gator board becasue the corners dents in very easily.

I use color dry mount tissue (lower temperature than b&w) on masonite with a Seal press.  Doesn't warp very easily and is strong.  I use a router to make radius corners, abou 1.5 for a 30x40 print.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

great, I assume a seal press is a type of dry mount press?

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
mounting prints
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:44:48 pm »

A good gator board should be sturdy enough to keep the presentation looking professional.   The corners will dent if dropped or bumped hard (pack and transport with some care)

I use a vacu-press (I also own a frame shop/gallery) which mounts to about anything without too much heat (low heat mounting tissue works best).

You can also mount to woods i.e. plywood but I think the weight would be a negative.

I do not like mounting larger prints on foam core, it warps, is easily damaged.

I have heard of others using masonite (not heavy like plywood but very sturdy).

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
mounting prints
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »

"I don't care for foamcore or Gator board becasue the corners dents in very easily.

I use color dry mount tissue (lower temperature than b&w) on masonite with a Seal press.  Doesn't warp very easily and is strong.  I use a router to make radius corners, abou 1.5 for a 30x40 print"

Howie, where do you purchase the Masonite.  At the local lumber yard or is there a better grade available.   Do you cut your own (beside using the router)?

howiesmith

mounting prints
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:25:39 pm »

great, I assume a seal press is a type of dry mount press?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seal is a brand of dry mount press.

howiesmith

mounting prints
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 05:29:07 pm »

"I don't care for foamcore or Gator board becasue the corners dents in very easily.

I use color dry mount tissue (lower temperature than b&w) on masonite with a Seal press.  Doesn't warp very easily and is strong.  I use a router to make radius corners, abou 1.5 for a 30x40 print"
Howie, where do you purchase the Masonite.  At the local lumber yard or is there a better grade available.   Do you cut your own (beside using the router)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I get the masonite at Lowe's or Home Depot.  Cut it to size on a table saw with a fine blade.  Touch the edges with very fine sand paper (to debur, not really sand) and then use a router to make the radius corners.  Tempered masonite is very smooth on one side.

fdi

• http://www.framedestination.com/
mounting prints
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:15:21 pm »

If you want them to last and not peel or bubble you will need to use a drymount press and learn how to use it properly. This will cost money, not just for the press, but damaged prints and mounting boards as you learn how to do it. If you will be doing this long term it might be a good investment. If not, then you are better off having someone do this for you, preferably a local place since your shipping cost will high due to oversize charges.

Cheers,
Mark
http://www.framedestination.com
http://www.pbase.com/lila161
Mark Rogers
Frame Destination [url=https

serf

mounting prints
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:11:07 pm »

Luminous Landscape has a DVD (#15?) with an interview with Bill Atkinson on how he mounts - he uses a t-mount tape system on foamcore, as I recall.  (Same DVD has an interesting discussion of profiling with Atkinson.)

Hi, I'm putting together an exhibition, 40 30x40 inch prints and was considering mounting them myself. To mount to dibond or plywood etc, does one use a dry mount press? What is the process? Does anyone have any suggestions? Getting a lab to do it is quite expensive. I've used glue and spray adhesives in the past and have had a problem with bubbling. Any suggestions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=89031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up