Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel Macs and Epson Printers  (Read 6077 times)

Paul Sumi

Intel Macs and Epson Printers
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:28:53 pm »

I am considering switching from Windows XP to Mac OS X.  I have followed reports that the Epson 2400 (which I own) seems to soft-proof and print "light" on Intel Macs:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=10580

My question is, does this also happen with other Epson printers on Intel Macs or Macs in general?  I have heard anecdotal reports over the years that OSX and Epson drivers don't play well together.  Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:35:24 pm by PaulS »

Ken Tanaka

• http://www.KenTanaka.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:38:33 pm »

I have not observed this "lightness", Paul.  I used the 2400 on a G4-based Mac for quite a while and have since changed to a Mac Pro (Intel) and see no such change.  Of course both the G4 system and now the Mac Pro are color-profiled.  

The only color-related shift I've observed when converting to the Mac Pro has been that my 30" Cinema Display and/or its graphics adapter seem to have a wider color gamut than my old 22" Cinema Display.  Two shades of color that originally seemed to be identical on the old screen are clearly not the same on the new.
- Ken Tanaka -
 www.KenTanaka.com

welcher

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:53:43 pm »

I am considering switching from Windows XP to Mac OS X.  I have followed reports that the Epson 2400 (which I own) seems to soft-proof and print "light" on Intel Macs:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=10580

My question is, does this also happen with other Epson printers on Intel Macs or Macs in general?  I have heard anecdotal reports over the years that OSX and Epson drivers don't play well together.  Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One quick note, Paul.  The R2400 soft proofs just fine on my machine!  It looks great.  Only when I actually print, or press "Preview" in the Epson print dialog, do I see the problem.  Both of them are completely wrong.

welcher

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 02:02:20 pm »

For a good overview, with pictures, of what I'm seeing, check out this thread from early this year.  Note the 2nd entry from the top.  That is exactly what I'm talking about with the bad preview.

DPReview

Fred Ragland

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:32:10 pm »

I have not observed this "lightness", Paul.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88837\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nor I, Paul.  For small to med. size low qty. printing we use the 2400 profiled with GM Eye-one Pro spectro and Eye-one Match 3 software.  We print on Hahn. Fine Art Pearl, except for black and white glossy prints.  There, we print on Pictorico High Gloss profiled with BowHaus Inkjet Control/Open Print Maker software.  

With the profiles in place, color throughout is as displayed, very predictable and consistent.

welcher

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 02:36:05 pm »

Nor I, Paul.  For small to med. size low qty. printing we use the 2400 profiled with GM Eye-one Pro spectro and Eye-one Match 3 software.  We print on Hahn. Fine Art Pearl, except for black and white glossy prints.  There, we print on Pictorico High Gloss profiled with BowHaus Inkjet Control/Open Print Maker software.   

With the profiles in place, color throughout is as displayed, very predictable and consistent.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fred, do you use an Intel-based Mac?  Specifically, a Mac Pro?  Also, what version of the printer driver are you using?

Thanks.

Fred Ragland

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 02:50:03 pm »

FYI, Russell Brown gives a step by step approach to printing from Photoshop to an Epson printer.

Fred Ragland

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:16:33 pm »

Fred, do you use an Intel-based Mac?  Specifically, a Mac Pro?  Also, what version of the printer driver are you using?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, Welcher, the 2400 is not on an Intel-based Mac.  Sorry, but I can't get to the version of the printer driver right now.

welcher

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 03:17:45 pm »

No, Welcher, the 2400 is not on an Intel-based Mac.  Sorry, but I can't get to the version of the printer driver right now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Fred.  From the 5 or 6 reports I've seen of this behavior, it seems that it's taking place exclusively on Intel Macs.

welcher

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 11:09:33 pm »

Well, I just did a complete reinstall of the OS and PS on a new hard drive.  Installed the latest driver, and the exact same profile, and.....

everything works great now!  I don't know what was wrong before, because it obviously wasn't the profile.  I guess my unfamiliarity with OS X (just switched last month) caused me to break something in the early going.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Sorry it turned out to be nothing too interesting!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 01:27:19 am »

Well, I just did a complete reinstall of the OS and PS on a new hard drive.  Installed the latest driver, and the exact same profile, and.....
everything works great now!  I don't know what was wrong before, because it obviously wasn't the profile.  I guess my unfamiliarity with OS X (just switched last month) caused me to break something in the early going.

Thanks for everyone's help.  Sorry it turned out to be nothing too interesting!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Welcher,

Great news, and thanks for letting us know.  Looks like I am back to seriously considering moving from XP to OS X.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up