Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Rag Paper Jams with Canon iPF5000  (Read 3053 times)

mcmorrison

Photo Rag Paper Jams with Canon iPF5000
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:32:17 pm »

Hello,

I have begun to have a paper jam using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308 on my iPF5000. I am printing to 11 x17 paper, and the right side (facing the printer) of the leading edge of the paper gets stopped somehow, buckling the paper and, if I don't stop the print job, the print head runs into the paper and stops. It jams with every sheet.

I have printed to this paper successfully before. I have not been able to see any obstructions in the paper exit path looking with mirrors and lights. What I do notice is that there is a slight curl to the paper such that the print-side is concave-again slightly. This means that the leading edge of the paper exiting the printer is higher than it might be. I presume this contributes to the issue, but I can't see what it might be catching on. The exit opening seems to be bigger than the curl.

It is winter here in upstate NY now, and I am guessing that there might be some moisture differential leading to the paper curl, so I am planning to leave the paper box open overnight to see if it equilibrates.

Any further thoughts?

Many Thanks,

Michael Morrison

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:27 pm »

What media type is selected for this paper?  Is it the same media type you used previously when printing successfully?  Possible solutions:

1) Increase the vacuum strength to Standard or Strong
2) Increase the head height one level at a time
3) Try to put a very slight reverse curl in the paper

Default for each of the two settings is "Automatic".  I don't know if that means that there is a mechanism for the printer to determine these, or if it means there is a hidden default in the driver.  Haven't been able to determine this yet.

Check pages 49-50 of the printed reference guide that came with the printer for more details.

See also the Wiki:

http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

There is a discussion section there now (accessible from the Main page) and you might be able to get some help there.

--John

mcmorrison

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 09:51:37 am »

Hello John,

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate them.

I have adjusted vacuum and head height, without change. After making those adjustments, it became clear that the paper was only buckling when reached the point in the exit path where it stopped, so vacuum and head height were not the issue. I thought of reverse curling the paper, and may well try that today, but am hoping that it will un-curl itself as the paper side loses moisture to our now drier air. . . I have also reviewed pages 49-50, without significant new insight, but may get back there after further developments!

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison

John Hollenberg

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:58:29 am »

Hello John,

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate them.

I have adjusted vacuum and head height, without change. After making those adjustments, it became clear that the paper was only buckling when reached the point in the exit path where it stopped, so vacuum and head height were not the issue. I thought of reverse curling the paper, and may well try that today, but am hoping that it will un-curl itself as the paper side loses moisture to our now drier air. . . I have also reviewed pages 49-50, without significant new insight, but may get back there after further developments!

Many thanks,

Michael Morrison
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you called Canon support?  This sounds like a real problem for you.

--John

mcmorrison

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:30 am »

Hello,

I have now been able to print the Photo Rag again. It looks like allowing the paper to equilibrate to our current, much drier, air did the trick.

Thanks for you thoughts,

Michael Morrison
Pages: [1]   Go Up