Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R800 wrong positioning of cyan dots  (Read 2829 times)

Jochen

• http://frohsinn-design.de
R800 wrong positioning of cyan dots
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:17:45 pm »

Ever since buying my R800 a little over a year ago I´ve been greatly disappointed. Not having had the time to check on possible technical causes it´s only been now I´ve discovered this very serious problem:

When chosing "Premium Glossy Photo Paper" in combination with "Best Photo" (or any other Paper which allows the setting of "Best Photo") the R800 just doesn´t seem to get the positioning of the cyan ink dots on the paper right. So for instance, instead of printing a thin grey line, the line appears redish with a cyan-coloured blur around it. It´s totally unacceptable as this bluring of cyan also appears with any other grafics. Please have a look at the attached file.

In comparison, when choosing "Photo" instead of "Best Photo" this problem doesn´t appear.

I´m still hopefull of finding out my R800 to actually be a good printer, so I´d be very glad for any advice offered!

German Epson support sadly was totally unhelpfull on the phone, so before sending the printer in for a costly repair I would like to know what kind of a problem I´m dealing with.

Thank you so much![attachment=1281:attachment]

cariarer

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:41:36 am »

Guten Morgen Jochen!  

Did you try to do a head alignment? You can find that option on the uitlity tab of the printer properties. The whole thing looks weired though. I got a R800 as well and do not have this kind of problem (though others ;o). I recently bought a Canon IPF5000 and though it's a wonderful machine, the Canon service here in Germany is more then dreadful. I'm waiting for almost a week to get a technician out to look at my roll paper unit, which all of a sudden stopped working. Since I use the printer commercialy, that's not very satisfying... oh well... different story  

Alles gute, Marco...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:30:44 am »

That's not an alignment problem. Either your print head is too close to the papersurface or too far from the paper. Is the print head in envelope position? Does it make a difference? If not, this really needs to go back to Epson...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Jochen

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:25:31 am »

Yes, that would seem like a plausible explanation, wasn´t it for the fact, that the problem only is aparent with the cyan ink. No problem with magenta as you can see in the attached scans of a printout.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Searching the internet this seem like a very rare problem... Haven´t found anything similar.

Jochen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:33:14 am »

Hallo Marco!

No, nothing to do with anything that could be solved with any of the utilities. Really, did you hear about similar problems?

What could it be thought? Considering that the different settings of "Photo" and "Best Photo" make such a huge difference would suggest a problem in the Process of calculating the distribution of the ink dots. I´ve tried though with a new driver, that didn´t make a difference...

Puzzled but thankfull for your suggestion...

Beste Grüße

Jochen

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 09:38:06 am »

I've had similar problems when a dust speck or hair or clump of dried ink got caught on the print head and interfered with the path of the ink droplets from the print head to the paper. Think of a hose spraying water in a stream at a wall, and then a stick is placed in the water stream, causing it to splash all over the wall instead of hitting a small part of the wall. You have the same kind of thing happening here, just on a smaller scale.

Try putting the printer in cartridge change mode, so the print head is parked in the middle of the page instead of on the side, then unplug the printer so it stays there. Then take a sheet of paper and fold it so that it fits inder the print head, but somewhat tightly because the head is rubbing on the paper a little. Then move the paper back and forth to rub the debris off the print head. Remove the folded paper, plug the printer back in, then turn it on and do a test print. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up