Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar distribution of Hy6  (Read 36323 times)

william

Sinar distribution of Hy6
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2006, 09:53:12 am »

Just FYI, Alien Skin's Exposure Photoshop plug-in is quite good in this regard.  Also, the current version of Capture One also provides for a variety of film "looks" to be applied to RAW conversions.

I see it quite differently. The digital backs are not the film or the lab. They simply provide raw data that the software is converting into the look of the file that pops open when you import the image into a raw converter. All of the files from the newer MFDBs can be made to look quite similar with the right "corrections" in post-processing, so it is the software, and more specifically, what you do in the software after the image is captured, that dictates the "look" of the file. Until recently, I shot medium format film, and I could decide depending upon a host of considerations like the lighting conditions, the subject matter, the contrast range of the scene, etc, what film to choose. With a MFDB, or any digtial capture for that matter, the images always open with the same default profile, and you then have to fiddle with the images to get them to look how thay would have looked if I had shot them on say Astia or Velvia or whatever. I wish the manufacurer did that for me by providing a set of "looks" that mimicked certain film stocks. The default could be a "neutral" rendition, but there would be a bouquet of options that I could access with one click rather than spending a bunch of time fiddling with the files myself. (There is actually a new software program called DxO Film Pack that does this, but I don't know how well, and in any event it is not available for MFDBs.) I have no problem spending the time working an important file, but I should be able to get files to open up immediately on my desktop looking every bit as good as an Astia chrome looks when I plop it on my light table as soon as it comes back from the lab.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hubell

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2006, 10:35:53 am »

Just FYI, Alien Skin's Exposure Photoshop plug-in is quite good in this regard.  Also, the current version of Capture One also provides for a variety of film "looks" to be applied to RAW conversions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, William. I think the Alien Skin plug-in is a sort of one-size-fits-all program for all digital files for all cameras, and cannot be used directly with the raw data. I was thinking more in terms of a set of tonal curves and color adjustments that would be "tuned" to the raw files of a specific MFDB and could be accessed right in the raw converter. I looked at the "Styles" in the Phase raw software when I was considering a Phase back, but there were just two generic "Styles", one for Ektachrome and one for Agfachrome. (Maybe they think Fuji is/was a small player in the world film market.)

James Russell

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2006, 11:28:24 am »

Thanks, William. I think the Alien Skin plug-in is a sort of one-size-fits-all program for all digital files for all cameras, and cannot be used directly with the raw data. I was thinking more in terms of a set of tonal curves and color adjustments that would be "tuned" to the raw files of a specific MFDB and could be accessed right in the raw converter. I looked at the "Styles" in the Phase raw software when I was considering a Phase back, but there were just two generic "Styles", one for Ektachrome and one for Agfachrome. (Maybe they think Fuji is/was a small player in the world film market.)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

C-1 has a color editor that allows to to selectively single out colors and change their hue, saturation and lightness,  It takes about 30 minutes to learn and about 20 seconds to apply in the real world which allows you to make your own film profile on the fly.

A lot of the post processing software like Alien Skin is good and or course with enough time and effort you can make any image look like virtually any film or non film stock using photoshop.

I think it depends on your perspective and how you want to work and this is my point about options with cameras.

On set do you want to show a non representative look of the image with the explanation of we will get there in post produciton, or do you want to show as an exact look as possible?

When I'm shooting on my own, it doesn't really matter than I'm exact on the day, knowing what I can do in post, but in a room full of 11 clients, you want to get there as fast as possible and have every frame as close to the "film look" as you can get.

I work closely with an AD that has a very trained, but un technical eye.  

Shooting a digital polaroid with a zeiss lens always makes him think it looks digitlal or too over sharpened.  With the Contax I can put the Pentax 6x7 lenses on that are smoother and softer and he immedatly says film.

So for me having this option is a plus and even though a software suite like lightroom allows us to make a lot of changes and a lot of looks, today lightroom really isn't a fast tethering software so showing the exact look on a busy set is difficult, especially if you want every frame to appear in "your" film look.

C-1 comes closer than any on set software I've seen, but having the option of changing lenses is also a great benefit.

I hold to my premise that a lot of us bought digital backs for the options they present and to have choices that the all in one nature of the dslrs don't offer.

But to be clear, I'm not against the HY6 and sincerly hope it's a success, I just don't want to see all these other cameras also locked out or quietly removed from the digital process through lack of R+D or even a predetermined desire to move us into once direction and only one solution.

JR
[a href=\"http://www.russellrutherford.com/]http://www.russellrutherford.com/[/url]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 12:21:07 pm by James Russell »

aaanorton

• http://
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2006, 02:47:34 pm »

I believe Thierry has just answered your question  

Thanks, yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=90849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, he didn't. He simply tiptoed a lot closer to actually saying it than you did. You are both hinting at the notion of Phase not being able to mount backs to this new camera system, though neither of you will just say the words. And a good thing too. Since the internet has such a long memory, you'd be well advised to avoid typing nonsense into it.
The two of you must spend a lot of time talking about this stuff with your coworkers and friends. So much time, in fact, that you are actually beginning to believe your own gossip.

"I am going to make an accessory for hybrid automobiles. It is going to be VERY desirable to any owner of these cars. It will not be cheap, at about 25-60% of the cost of the car itself, but well worth it if you buy in. I have this technology that only I can sell and once sold it cannot be adapted. I have the ability to offer it to any hybrid owner I want, but I CHOOSE to not offer it to Toyota (or possibly even all Japanese cars) owners."

And this somewhat less dumb than than the scenario you guys describe. Yes, Phase will surely be "locked out" to prevent Rollei from having to deal with all the difficulties of actually shipping a lot of product.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2006, 03:42:39 pm »

No, he didn't. He simply tiptoed a lot closer to actually saying it than you did. You are both hinting at the notion of Phase not being able to mount backs to this new camera system, though neither of you will just say the words. And a good thing too. Since the internet has such a long memory, you'd be well advised to avoid typing nonsense into it.
The two of you must spend a lot of time talking about this stuff with your coworkers and friends. So much time, in fact, that you are actually beginning to believe your own gossip.

"I am going to make an accessory for hybrid automobiles. It is going to be VERY desirable to any owner of these cars. It will not be cheap, at about 25-60% of the cost of the car itself, but well worth it if you buy in. I have this technology that only I can sell and once sold it cannot be adapted. I have the ability to offer it to any hybrid owner I want, but I CHOOSE to not offer it to Toyota (or possibly even all Japanese cars) owners."

And this somewhat less dumb than than the scenario you guys describe. Yes, Phase will surely be "locked out" to prevent Rollei from having to deal with all the difficulties of actually shipping a lot of product.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear ...?

I have been saying (writing) exactly what is in my knowledge (and in this of the company I am working for): we Sinar are selling a camera called Hy6 which will allow to adapt Sinarbacks.
There is another Back manufacturer, Leaf, who has got the rights to sell this camera as well.

The owner of the Hy6 camera project is Jenoptik. In clear words: they have paid and are paying for the R&D and manufacturing costs of this new camera. As such, Jenoptik are the sole to decide who gets the rights to sell this camera.

We said it clearly: at the current time of today, 2 back manufacturers have got the rights to sell this camera. And those 2 back manufacturers have not the rights to decided about another company selling (or NOT selling) it.

Period. It is a simple as that and we have no reason to say different things and no reason to hide things. What will happen tomorrow nobody knows it, and the non-sense would be to speculate and gossip on tomorrow or on may-be's.

I don't think Yair has said anything different. Believe me, we don't have that much time to speak about such things. Running the current business and delivering products (not vaporware) which are satisfying our customers are our first priority.

I think that I (as well as Yair) have been very correct and polite, in all these discussions: we are honestly trying to inform. The least one can expect is to keep this discussion without personal attacks.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

robert zimmerman

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2006, 03:50:16 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91011\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What are you talking about?

Theiry and Yair have both made pretty clear statements on what the agendas are for the companies they represent. They can't make statements for Phase or for Franke & Heidicke/Rollei.
If Phase is locked out of the Hy6 then it's probably because they didn't want in.

There will be a Rollei Hy6. Phase has the ability to make a Rollei mount if they are interested.

The only question is: Can I buy a Leaf/Sinar Hy6 (with its added advantages as a integrated system) and at the same time or at a later time fit my Leaf/Phase/Sinar/Imacon back to it?

Thierry or Yair, can you answer this question:
Is it (the Sinar and/or Leaf camera body) or will it be an "open" Plattform? Or is it a road to a "locked in" system?

hubell

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2006, 03:56:59 pm »

Dear ...?

I have been saying (writing) exactly what is in my knowledge (and in this of the company I am working for): we Sinar are selling a camera called Hy6 which will allow to adapt Sinarbacks.
There is another Back manufacturer, Leaf, who has got the rights to sell this camera as well.

The owner of the Hy6 camera project is Jenoptik. In clear words: they have paid and are paying for the R&D and manufacturing costs of this new camera. As such, Jenoptik are the sole to decide who gets the rights to sell this camera.

We said it clearly: at the current time of today, 2 back manufacturers have got the rights to sell this camera. And those 2 back manufacturers have not the rights to decided about another company selling (or NOT selling) it.

Period. It is a simple as that and we have no reason to say different things and no reason to hide things. What will happen tomorrow nobody knows it, and the non-sense would be to speculate and gossip on tomorrow or on may-be's.

I don't think Yair has said anything different. Believe me, we don't have that much time to speak about such things. Running the current business and delivering products (not vaporware) which are satisfying our customers are our first priority.

I think that I (as well as Yair) have been very correct and polite, in all these discussions: we are honestly trying to inform. The least one can expect is to keep this discussion without personal attacks.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is great. A heated argument over who does or does not have the right to sell(or mount their MFDB on) a camera system that for all practical purposes does not even exist yet.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2006, 04:11:28 pm »

Dear ...?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Hi
Well said.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2006, 04:44:39 pm »

If Phase is locked out of the Hy6 then it's probably because they didn't want in

It is not that simple. I dont know the relationships but Jenoptic have ..

-paid for the devleopment of the camera

-own sinar

So the developer of the camera has good reason to lock out a rival

However my guess is that all the cameras will be the same, with a rollei 6000 mount and any back maker who chooses to make a back with that fitting will get a look in

My guees is that the camera is basically a 6000 with no motorwind but 80% the same guts

It is of course passing data about lenses and interestingly a RGB value - not all software may be able to fully utilise this DATA and that is where a lockout may come

Just guesses

What interests me most is multi point AF - just spent another day shooting my H and battling the center only AF with moving horses..

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2006, 05:03:13 pm »

My new P45 has a free mount change until December of next year.  I am hoping that by then there will be a Phase One Hy6 or compatibility with the Sinar version.  Maybe I will be buying the Leaf SLR to put my P45 on.  Now that would be an open system!

Thanks for your help here Thierry and Yair.  Without you two here we might still be debating the merits of known vs. anonymous posters.  

-Eric

ignaz

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2006, 06:53:32 pm »

I've been following this thread as a visitor for a while and I registered today just to add some comments on the Hy6 issue.

For at least 25 years I have used Rollei equipment and ever since  worrying for the future of that company.
The Hy6 has brought a considerable amount of fresh air and new hopes to the future of F&H and that should be a crucial point
for all  rollei pro users.

Little over a year ago I received my first digital back with a rollei mount from Hasselblad ( 528c - 6008AF ). My other
rolleis I usually had  as a back-up with film won't accept the digital back, so the next best thing I pretend to do is to get a Hy6 as soon as
possible and to have the 6008AF as a buck-up.

Will the Hy6 accept my Hasselblad back and future up-grades ( 39ms ) ? It probably will if Hasselblad decides to make an adapter for it,
adapters are made by the DB manufacturers, F&H / Jenoptik will have to approve this, there are more than a few Rollei with Imacon/hasselblad
backs that should be taken into account.

F&H has to deliver 1500 cameras a year to Jenoptik ( Sinar-Jenoptic/ Leaf-Kodak ) which is the amount they are capable to manufacture, but should the capacity be
higher then F&H will probably be allowed to sell the Hy6 as a Rolleiflex directly, on the other hand the Hy6 is NOT a digital camera
exclusively, will SINAR and Leaf sell it with a film back ? And what about the lenses ? Will Jenoptic also decide what F&H has to do with the lenses ?

I think it has to be said that F&H has developed the Hy6, not Jenoptic, they gave the money ( 4 m. Euros ) and I consider it not
specially fair  to ignore F&H in their press releases, finally regardless what it is printed on the outside on the inside it is F&H.

Ignaz

James Russell

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2006, 12:44:31 am »

Theirry,

As much as manufacturer comment is appreciated, sometimes I think there seems to be an attitude of  your either with us 100% or against us when it comes to the forum members questions and the  manufacturer response.

Personally, I don't think any of the questions asked about the direction Sinar and Leaf are taking with the HY6 were out of bounds or uncivil.

What was asked by many is what is the process of buying this camera, what is the ability to use it with different backs, even Leaf and Sinar backs.

Will older Sinar backs adapt, will a Leaf back work with the Sinar version of the HY6.

I presently use two brands of digital backs and would like the possibility to use them on the same camera platform so if I ask will a Phase back work on the Leaf version of the HY6 I'm not looking for inside or confidential information, I'm just attempting to get an answer about a very expensive camera decision.

I do find your comment about not selling vaporwear interesting and ironic that it is mentioned in the same thread about a camera platform that today is not available, has no published prices, lens line, or firm date of shipment.

It doesn't mean I believe you are selling vaporwear but as you know in the digital age, pdf's, press releases, promises and annoucements don't always live to the intital hype or the planned delivery dates.

When you signed on and introduced yourself to this forum Yair said "watch out for the sharks".

Unfortunately that seems to be an attitude I find confusing coming from a manufactuer's representative, because what may be perceived by the manufacturer's  as sharks are really worthwhile comments and questions asked by current and possibly future customers.

Best,

JR
http://www.jamesrussellphotography.com

Dear ...?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

thsinar

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2006, 12:58:10 am »

Theirry,

As much as manufacturer comment is appreciated, sometimes I think there seems to be an attitude of  your either with us 100% or against us when it comes to the forum members questions and the  manufacturer response.

Personally, I don't think any of the questions asked about the direction Sinar and Leaf are taking with the HY6 were out of bounds or uncivil.

What was asked by many is what is the process of buying this camera, what is the ability to use it with different backs, even Leaf and Sinar backs.

Will older Sinar backs adapt, will a Leaf back work with the Sinar version of the HY6.

I presently use two brands of digital backs and would like the possibility to use them on the same camera platform so if I ask will a Phase back work on the Leaf version of the HY6 I'm not looking for inside or confidential information, I'm just attempting to get an answer about a very expensive camera decision.

I do find your comment about not selling vaporwear interesting and ironic that it is mentioned in the same thread about a camera platform that today is not available, has no published prices, lens line, or firm date of shipment.

It doesn't mean I believe you are selling vaporwear but as you know in the digital age, pdf's, press releases, promises and annoucements don't always live to the intital hype or the planned delivery dates.

When you signed on and introduced yourself to this forum Yair said "watch out for the sharks".

Unfortunately that seems to be an attitude I find confusing coming from a manufactuer's representative, because what may be perceived by the manufacturer's  as sharks are really worthwhile comments and questions asked by current and possibly future customers.

Best,

JR
http://www.jamesrussellphotography.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear James,

allow me to answer you as following: I have really said it all in my knowledge concerning other backs and manufacturers. Yes, Sinarbacks will have an adapter for the Hy6. I guess it wil be the same for Leaf, but this cannot be said by me. And that's about all what can be said currently, beside the fact that there are 2 back manufacturers on boat.

Rather than speaking about a product which is still in its manufacturing phase and not yet on the market, I have suggested to wait a few weeks (in a much earlier post), until all things are clarified on all sides.

I find all the questions about the Hy6 justified: what I do not like (nobody does) is unrespectful comments like the ones I have read about Yair and myself. I don't think anybody needs and deserves this, when he is trying to be honest. I do myself respect all and everybody, as well as any question, but I do ask in return a little bit respect as well. Those who know me in the market since 17 years can speak about my commitment for a brand and the photographic profession.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

yaya

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2006, 02:58:51 am »

I think that between Thierry and myself, we've already given all the information that is currently available for the public. We cannot speak for neither Jenoptik nor Phase.

The Hy6 and the AFi will come off the same manufacturing line and as far as I know are going to be 100% similiar to each other, except for the badge. So in theory a Sinar back will work on a Leaf camera.

In theory, because Leaf is not intending to sell the camera as a separate item to users of other backs and I believe Sinar's intentions are similiar.

The camera has a new rear mount that was shown at Photokina, it is not the same as any of the current MF cameras and it allows for an easy and secure attachment/ rotation of the back.

The lens mount is similiar to the current 6008 series'. It'll take any of the existing Rollei/ Zeiss/ Schneider AF and non-AF lenses and there is an initial list of newly designed AF lenses that was published (and some were shown already) that will be ready at time of shipping or shortly after.

As for sharks, there was a lot of irony in my comment, however in my own experience, some of these bites do hurt, more so if they come from dolphins.

Yair
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:59:28 am by yaya »

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2006, 03:36:31 am »

Hi James.

I must admit that Yair is right in the comment about the "sharks".

Of course it is acceptable to ask any type of question to Yair and Thierry, even ones that they cannot answer, but you must admit that there is a more aggressive (shark-like?) attitude in the tone of some of the posts about/to them, which if they were directed to me I would be less polite in reply than they have been.
Because they are "sort-of" un-officially representing their companies, they are going to get from us all expressions of dissatisfaction about their products... and fair enough!
But they shouldn't be attacked for not answering something they either do not know or they are not allowed by their companies to say publicly.

I think we just need to look at the tone in our comments to them and keep them respectful as though they were our clients (which usually piss us off more-so), or other members of the forum.

What say you all?

Andrew
Andrew
 ht

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2006, 04:20:17 am »

I'm just a mildly disinterested outsider as any MF purchase by myself is still someways off, but I've been (somewhat amusedly) watching this thread and the basic question seems very simple and still has not been clearly answered: Is the Hy6 back interface going to be universal or are the Sinar etc. versions going to have tweaks (maybe as simple as a pin) to prevent or make difficult mounting of other brands of backs? Simple question and simple answer (yes or no).

- DL
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 04:21:43 am by dlashier »

robert zimmerman

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2006, 04:27:34 am »

The Hy6 and the AFi will come off the same manufacturing line and as far as I know are going to be 100% similiar to each other, except for the badge. So in theory a Sinar back will work on a Leaf camera.

That's an answer. This means all the Hy6's will be the same (Rollei, Sinar, Leaf), one platform, one mount, different names. And more importantly, a Leaf will fit on a Sinar, a phase with a Rollei mount will fit on Leaf, etc.

That's all I was interested in. It means lots of choice and it means Leaf & Sinar will only be using the camera as an incentive not as a ball and chain. Bravo.

Thanks, Kipling

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2006, 06:28:07 am »

One important issue comes to my mind.

Will Sinar or Leaf for that matter,incorporate in their software,a similar DAC(Digital Apo Correction)
like the Hasselblad H3D39?

I've just purchased an eMotion-75 and I'll be getting the Hy6 when it  becomes available.

Or are the new Hy6 lenses that are being designed by Schneider of such good quality,that it doesn't
need that sort of correction?

They sure are pricey enough!

Interesting times ahead.

I would also be very happy,if Phase backs  would be available to be used with the Hy6.

The more Hy6's Rollei sells,the quicker we get all the new lenses etc.

Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2006, 07:43:52 am »

As for sharks, there was a lot of irony in my comment, however in my own experience, some of these bites do hurt, more so if they come from dolphins.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry:

I think these little nips of affection just demonstrate how much users like the projected Hy6 system, and how much they would want it to be open ...

Most here are users of digital backs; at least 30 per cent here are Leaf customers, some are happy Sinar customers, many others are prospects. Maybe the voices here should be echoed back to management at your respective companies, rather than ignored ?

You cannot speak freely here about your companies plans, but surely you can make the customer's wishes known? At present the customers seem to very vocally demand that a Hy6 system by Sinar, or Leaf, or Rollei, accept any back, be it Leaf, or Phase or Sinar.

In days gone by, Kodak made both cameras or film; but you could use Kodak film in any camera, and a Kodak camera with any film - and look what the 120 and 35mm standard did for them !

I sincerely hope that you will see nothing offensive in this post, and that you will treat the suggestion I made (providing feedback to management) in the most professional manner.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

thsinar

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2006, 08:18:44 am »

Thierry:

I think these little nips of affection just demonstrate how much users like the projected Hy6 system, and how much they would want it to be open ...

Most here are users of digital backs; at least 30 per cent here are Leaf customers, some are happy Sinar customers, many others are prospects. Maybe the voices here should be echoed back to management at your respective companies, rather than ignored ?

You cannot speak freely here about your companies plans, but surely you can make the customer's wishes known? At present the customers seem to very vocally demand that a Hy6 system by Sinar, or Leaf, or Rollei, accept any back, be it Leaf, or Phase or Sinar.

In days gone by, Kodak made both cameras or film; but you could use Kodak film in any camera, and a Kodak camera with any film - and look what the 120 and 35mm standard did for them !

I sincerely hope that you will see nothing offensive in this post, and that you will treat the suggestion I made (providing feedback to management) in the most professional manner.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=91368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Edmund,

You are absolutely right! Be sure that all such wishes, remarks and requests are duly reported to Sinar by me. That is what I see a professional duty for me.

Thanks for your suggestion and all the best,
Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up