Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: H2 Quality?  (Read 11397 times)

stevecoleccs

• http://www.stevecole.com
H2 Quality?
« on: December 03, 2006, 07:32:58 pm »

Hi, I'm on the fence to buy the Phase P30+, has anyone had any issues
with the quality of the Hasselblad H2? My friend has one & he has a love
hate relationship with it. Please comment only if you had real exprence
with the H2 in general, not neccessary with the Phase backs.

Thanks.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
H2 Quality?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »

HI... I have an H2 and leaf aptus 65.  I initially had some problems but without going into a long story, there was a bad circuit board on the aptus back. It was fixed  by leaf in one day. Since that time, I have had no issue with my back and camera.  I really do like the hasselblad.  Perhaps I could be more specific if i knew the exact issues your friend has had with his.  Mark

Hi, I'm on the fence to buy the Phase P30+, has anyone had any issues
with the quality of the Hasselblad H2? My friend has one & he has a love
hate relationship with it. Please comment only if you had real exprence
with the H2 in general, not neccessary with the Phase backs.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pprachun

H2 Quality?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:22:25 pm »

Only had my H2 with P25 back (in line for P45+), for 6 weeks -- along with 80mm, 50mm, 35mm, & 150mm lenses; so far no quality issues whatsoever; works like a charm.  However, should something now happen, you will have a Ukrainian curse placed on you!    -- Paul
Paul Prachun

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
H2 Quality?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:16:07 am »

H2

I have H1

I am not 'moved' by this camera in any way

I dont like how it looks etc

However..

I am convinced that the H series is the most practical system knocking around NOW if you need a high flash synch and quick AF

And I beleive it has one of the brightest view finders

Mine has not broken in two years

although

- the front of my 80 has become wobbly
-most of the plastic covers have been lost and been replaced by gaffa
- the rubber eye piece has been lost

The market for used lenses is poor as is the range and speed of the lenses

As a fast shooter I would go H again, as a slow/considered shooter I would go V or contax

You will of course be aware that with an H1/2 you will be locked out of future Hassy 'inovavtions' like the 28 lense and a TS lense if it ever is released

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

deelight

• http://
H2 Quality?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 09:46:48 am »

I am happy with the look, feel and picture quality of my H1 with 35, 50, 80, 1,7x. Rubber - okay, something they could fix, thats true.

Works fine and stable with my A22.

Never had an major issue since I bought the combo in September 2005.

Still looking for an used 3,2/150 lens (cheap, mint, complete, not too many exposures   ) - anyone from Europe who is going to sell one?

Best regards,

Clem

MarkKay

H2 Quality?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:45:37 am »

I guess i would be on the fence about going with the H system again even though I like my system just because of the possibility of being locked out with the new releases.  If the new T/S lenses are only for H3D users, I plan on selling my whole system and going back to the new Canon 1Dsmk2 replacement.  

I have H1

I am not 'moved' by this camera in any way

I dont like how it looks etc

However..

I am convinced that the H series is the most practical system knocking around NOW if you need a high flash synch and quick AF

And I beleive it has one of the brightest view finders

Mine has not broken in two years

although

- the front of my 80 has become wobbly
-most of the plastic covers have been lost and been replaced by gaffa
- the rubber eye piece has been lost

The market for used lenses is poor as is the range and speed of the lenses

As a fast shooter I would go H again, as a slow/considered shooter I would go V or contax

You will of course be aware that with an H1/2 you will be locked out of future Hassy 'inovavtions' like the 28 lense and a TS lense if it ever is released

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

stevecoleccs

H2 Quality?
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:04:14 am »

Thanks everyone for the replys, seems the only way to go would be the H1 or 2, Mamiya
would be the 2nd choice but I have an issue with the flash sync speed. The new Rollie?
Who knows, we will have to wait untill it comes out, but it does look petty cool & the company
looks like it will be around a while because of their strong consumer market.

hubell

H2 Quality?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:15:29 am »

I guess i would be on the fence about going with the H system again even though I like my system just because of the possibility of being locked out with the new releases.  If the new T/S lenses are only for H3D users, I plan on selling my whole system and going back to the new Canon 1Dsmk2 replacement.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not sure I understand the logic. The Canon 1Ds system(and any likely upgrade) is completely closed. Even more so than the H3D, where you at least have a digital back you can mount on a view camera or an Alpa. Is it the cost of the upgrade to the H3D compared to the likely cost of the new Canon?

MarkKay

H2 Quality?
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »

The logic is that when canon releases a new DSLR, it does not change lens compatibility.  The old systems still accept all EOS lenses.  So even if I have an old  D60 it will accept the new canon lenses that have been released over the recent  years. Hasselblad has changed their formats multiple times over recent years.  Let me make it clear, I have no objection to new and improved releases from any company but the way Hasselblad is planning to close  the door to the use of new release lenses on a camera line that has not been in existence that long  is not acceptable to me.

I am not sure I understand the logic. The Canon 1Ds system(and any likely upgrade) is completely closed. Even more so than the H3D, where you at least have a digital back you can mount on a view camera or an Alpa. Is it the cost of the upgrade to the H3D compared to the likely cost of the new Canon?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
H2 Quality?
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 04:14:21 pm »

i just shot with a loaner H2 (for now switched to mamiya from rollei because i upgraded to a P30 until the Hy6 comes out) i had the camera for a week...with the 55-110...impressions: impossible to change anything without taking your eye off the finder, finder is not brighter then mamiya (this depends mostly on lenses anyway, the rollei finder is way brighter because the lenses are 1 to 2 stops faster)), the camera is very heavy and poorly balanced, i won't even metion the weigh of the lens....i used to shoot the gx680 handheld, i never had to stop shooting because my wrist hurt...the 6008 with the 180 is not a lightweight, but with the grip it is sooooomuch better balanced, the H system takes non rechargeable batteries!!!!!( at least i don't have those kind of batteries) they are very expensive.....every 50-75 shots: take the grip off, re-attach the grip because the camera freezes...
if you absolutely need the faster synch, it is the only way to go, for now....in regards to that: that was my only concern i had with switching to mamiya (or contax), the files shot in studio with the H (at 1/250 my wireless flashsynch is not faster) are more blurry then the mamiyas 1/125...the extra weight, the poor balance and the MIRRORSLAP (or mirrorwhack), this camera needs the fastest synch possible, because handholding any thing under 1/125 is an adventure....like i said i used to handhold my gx680 and my RZ.....
if you are buying a phase back and get the 3year warranty, a free mountchange is included in the first year...enough until the Hy6 is available....

stevecoleccs

H2 Quality?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 05:14:30 pm »

i just shot with a loaner H2 (for now switched to mamiya from rollei because i upgraded to a P30 until the Hy6 comes out) i had the camera for a week...with the 55-110...impressions: impossible to change anything without taking your eye off the finder, finder is not brighter then mamiya (this depends mostly on lenses anyway, the rollei finder is way brighter because the lenses are 1 to 2 stops faster)), the camera is very heavy and poorly balanced, i won't even metion the weigh of the lens....i used to shoot the gx680 handheld, i never had to stop shooting because my wrist hurt...the 6008 with the 180 is not a lightweight, but with the grip it is sooooomuch better balanced, the H system takes non rechargeable batteries!!!!!( at least i don't have those kind of batteries) they are very expensive.....every 50-75 shots: take the grip off, re-attach the grip because the camera freezes...
if you absolutely need the faster synch, it is the only way to go, for now....in regards to that: that was my only concern i had with switching to mamiya (or contax), the files shot in studio with the H (at 1/250 my wireless flashsynch is not faster) are more blurry then the mamiyas 1/125...the extra weight, the poor balance and the MIRRORSLAP (or mirrorwhack), this camera needs the fastest synch possible, because handholding any thing under 1/125 is an adventure....like i said i used to handhold my gx680 and my RZ.....
if you are buying a phase back and get the 3year warranty, a free mountchange is included in the first year...enough until the Hy6 is available....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perfect, that's what I wanted to hear, because I heard someone else say the same thing about
how hard it is to handhold at 1/60th, the mirror wack & the battery issue sounds like a pain too..thanks for your thoughts & experence.

stevecoleccs

H2 Quality?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 05:18:37 pm »

"(at 1/250 my wireless flashsynch is not faster) are more blurry then "

Have you tried to sync past 1/250th with the Pocket Ws?  The Pocket W. rep said the
Pocket Ws will sync at ANY shutter speed with the H1 or H2, try it & let me know.
Regauardless what the directions says from Pocket W.
Thanks.

pss

H2 Quality?
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:30 pm »

i think the pocketW synchs faster, i have the Microsync, i tried the pocketW, never have to fire more then one head (the others sync anyway) and i HATE how ugly and huge the pocketW transmitter is on the camera...if i needed more range or had to fire several different heads, the pocketW system is perfect, but i don't need it....the microsync goes up to 1/500, but 1/250 is the only really relyable speed, same goes for the pocketW too in my experience....the hensel transmitters are up to 1/250, but i have fired them faster as well....but also not relyable...the last thing i want ot think about is if ANYTHING might be blocking any signal and i might miss the shot....the microsync is great, inexpensive, small, works, battery last for 2?years..perfect....
about the H system: i managed to handhold the gx680 and RZ down to about 1/30 with good results, mostly because of the way the camera is held, 2 hands in front of your body, breathe out,...i can handhold the mamiya 645 to about 1/30 because of the weigh....the H with the 55-110 is about 6?7? pounds? feels like 12 pounds, held by a smallish grip...what is the best way to hold it vertical? hanging from the wrist or supported from the wrist? the pentax67 (with the woodgrip) has horrible slap and superslow sych, but with the grip it can be held so the grip is on the bottom, works very well, the H grip is too small for that...the mamiya is not much better, but much much lighter and the lenses are much lighter as well....i know what everybody will say, the hass/fuji lenses are much better...they aren't...the schneider lenses for the rollei are much better then all of the hass/mamiya/...anyway, the Hy6 will be here soon, perfect handling, can't wait ot see how the new mirror will be, with the 6008 (and the 180) 1/30 is possible....the Hy6 will be lighter and less slap....

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
H2 Quality?
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:51 pm »

PWs do 800

Power of flash may be reduced as the flash duration > 1/800 (see other thread on this forum)
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

damien

• http://www.lovegroveportraits.com
H2 Quality?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 05:54:14 pm »

MY H1 is fine, so is my 35mm, 80mm, 100mm f2.2 :-) and 210. The lenses are much lighter than Rollei (except zoom) and the camera is quick and easy to use. I like the 'look' of the lenses, I use them wide open and they make beautiful images - good blokey, oops bokeh!

Damien.

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
H2 Quality?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:54 pm »

"Rollei 6008 with 180 mm handheld at 1/30"

That statment should get you not beleiving any thing that person says about a camera.

"Unsharp pictures with flash and sync at 1/250 with H2"

What bullshit is that.  If you shoot indoors, that is almost impossible if you do not

throw your camera around.

" the H system takes non rechargeable batteries"

Yes it takes that too. But it also takes rechargeable. Most of us use those I think..

Yes, the zoom is heavy. And that is why I did not buy it.

I have the 35, 80 and 150, and they are great lenses and not very heavy.

I have not had any problems with my H2.

If you have made up your mind not to like something, it is not very

difficult to find something to complain about.

But be true and do not lie when you write about something people want
advice about.

Willow
Willow Photography

pss

H2 Quality?
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 06:36:55 pm »

"Rollei 6008 with 180 mm handheld at 1/30"

That statment should get you not beleiving any thing that person says about a camera.

"Unsharp pictures with flash and sync at 1/250 with H2"

What bullshit is that.  If you shoot indoors, that is almost impossible if you do not

throw your camera around.

" the H system takes non rechargeable batteries"

Yes it takes that too. But it also takes rechargeable. Most of us use those I think..

Willow
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes i can handhold the rollei with the 180 at 1/30, i can also handhold the RZ and GX680 (which are heavier) at 1/30 and get acceptable results....i could not handhold the H at 1/60 and get acceptable results

i never said that line about the 1/250 and unsharp pics (don't know where you got that from) and it is bullshit, you are right, with flash even 1/125 is hard to not be sharp, which is why the mamiya and contax are fine anyway.....outside flash is a different story...
the H takes some battery i don't have around, as i said i am sure you can find rechargeables, but i have batteries for about 5 different camerasystems, lightmeters, flashlights, portables of many kind, flashes,....all the ususal stuff in a studio and the ususal batteries for it....not the ones for the H....does not mean you cannot get them, but they are expensive and rarer (not at every supermarket check-out)

willow, i understand you like your camera, good for you, i am sure you take great pics with it and that is really all that matters, but please do not put words in my mouth or argue with my experience.....

about the grip on-off thing: it was the first thing the rental guy told me about the camera....very reassuring

oh: after getting a BA in photography, assisting for years and shooting on my own and working with pretty much every system out there and having owned a lot of systems...this was the first one i had to get the manual out to set the camera to full manual operation....

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
H2 Quality?
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 06:54:18 pm »

"...impossible to change anything without taking your eye off the finder..."

Perhaps you have to get used to it. I don't look at any of the buttons any more, not sure why you had this problem.

"finder is not brighter then mamiya..."

Disagree, the viewfinder is brighter than both Contax and Mamiya. This was one of many factors in deciding to go with the H2.

I find it sturdy and with very few exceptions, very few, it has proven to be reliable. When you get to work with it quite a bit, and it becomes an extension of you, like a camera should be, at least for me, I see the logic behind a lot of the design.

It is heavy and I would like the battery grip could be bigger or a better shape, but it's not a problem for me because I shoot with a tripod.

I agree with Markkay about the lock out with regards to new lenses, disappointing. I too am waiting for a T/S from Hasselblad.

With regards to the rubber eye cup, I swapped it out with the shorter one.

There are many factors to consider; in my experience, quality and support is there with the H2 and it is a great system. Good luck.

godtfred

• http://
H2 Quality?
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 07:04:22 pm »

...has anyone had any issues with the quality of the Hasselblad H2?

I enjoy my H2 system very much because of this:

*The viewfinder is fantastic, you see everything very clear and bright
*Never worry about flash sync (my pocketwizards work at every speed... some underexposure at 1/800, but that is just to power up a bit on the heads.)
*The lenses are wonderful, manual override without any swithches. Great correctionsoftware! Dont like the zoom because of weight and bulk, but my 35, 100, 120 and 210 are great.
*A lot of customization is possible, much like the custom funcions of a Canon (but not that extensive.)

I dislike my H2 slightly for these reasons:
*There is still no waist level viewfinder (I have one on order, but it has not shown up yet.)
*Hasselblad uses a long time to deliver tings (lenses, matte screens, etc.)
*Batteries last short, about 250 frames (although i use a CFH-39 back, and it drains the cameras battery, so you might find this to last much longer with a phase or leaf back.)
*The camera sometimes loses the connection to bits and pieces (this has not happened lately though, maybe my last firmware update fixed the problem?)
*The camera is no looker, it shoud be black, and have a more boxy apperance with less automation (i know i contradicted myself there, but hey, im only human

As far as build quality is concerned, I have had no issues whatsoever, but i still think the overall feel of buttons and the body could be more reassuring, but Im a Leica/Linhof/V-system lover, so who am I to talk...

-axel
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:06:18 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
H2 Quality?
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 07:11:02 pm »

"the files shot in studio with the H (at 1/250 my wireless flashsynch is not faster) are more blurry then the mamiyas 1/125...the extra weight, the poor balance and the MIRRORSLAP (or mirrorwhack), this camera needs the fastest synch possible, because handholding any thing under 1/125 is an adventure....like i said i used to handhold my gx680 and my RZ....."

This is what YOU WROTE and I understood, as you talked about wireless flashsynchand studio, that
you were talking about shooting indoors with flash. I still think you did.

I sure like to see a picture you have taken handheld with 180 at 1/30.
I beleive you can, I just want to see how sharp acceptable is.

Willow
Willow Photography
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up