Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Papers for HP B9180  (Read 3030 times)

jclacherty

Papers for HP B9180
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:35:12 am »

Hi,

I received my new B9180 last week and have been playing with it a bit just using the papers I have here (Canson Photosatin, Han. Photo Rag, and the HP adv. glossy that came with the printer).  The prints are great!

Now, I'm looking to get some A3+ - 13 x 19 for those imperialists   but I'm not sure what to go for....

I'm currently leaning toward either Silver Rag, of Fine Art Pearl.  Has anyone tried these in the B9180?  I'd also be interested to know what Innova Ultrasmooth (f-type gloss) is like.

Justin.

ericbullock

• http://www.mbsdirect.com
Papers for HP B9180
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 09:38:06 am »

Hi,

I received my new B9180 last week and have been playing with it a bit just using the papers I have here (Canson Photosatin, Han. Photo Rag, and the HP adv. glossy that came with the printer).  The prints are great!

Now, I'm looking to get some A3+ - 13 x 19 for those imperialists   but I'm not sure what to go for....

I'm currently leaning toward either Silver Rag, of Fine Art Pearl.  Has anyone tried these in the B9180?  I'd also be interested to know what Innova Ultrasmooth (f-type gloss) is like.

Justin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this printer and which papers work with it. In my experience, none of the papers you mentioned work well with it at all. I've tried to profile all three of them and the ink just doesn't sit right on the paper. In the darker areas of the profiling charts (composite Red's especially) so much ink is being applied that dry banding is occurring, and D-Max starts to reverse on itself. You can reduce the ink limit to a point, but then the gamut of the printer is reduced.

Long story short, stick with the HP papers for the moment. Maybe they'll figure out how to fix this printer with a future firmware update, but at the moment it doesn't behave very well on the papers you mentioned.

Regards,

-eric-

jclacherty

Papers for HP B9180
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:55:15 pm »

There seems to be mixed feelings about third party papers.  A lot of people are reporting the problems you've mentioned while others report no problems at all.  My problem is that the HP papers don't seem to be available here in Australia (maybe I'll have a better look).

I know that Neil Snape has mentioned on another forum about a new HP paper coming out that is supposed to be quite nice.  He's also been using a new Innova paper that he's "fell in love with".

Justin.

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Papers for HP B9180
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 04:56:07 am »

I have tested som non HP papers on my printer and the genereal impression I have on the few papers I have tried is that I get about the same gamut on these papers as on the same type of HP papers. So far I have testet Moab entrada and Han. Photo Rag Duo and Han. FAP.

I have also tested some Epson papers (glossy and semiglossy) on the printer, and get almost the same gamut as the same type of HP papers.

The Han. FAP had a smaller gamut than I expected, but I will probably have to try other papersetting when doing my profiles to se if it can be better. But FAP also gives me bronzing, so I might give up on this paper.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up